PDA

View Full Version : Messy poly? eps issue? Just remake or what?

nikmills
03-16-2004, 05:46 PM
I feel fortunate that these closed polys came in so smooth from an eps file. They extruded almost perfectly. This one extra little "webbing" in blue seems stray. What's the best course of action? Maybe knock out the whole top poly and remake that poly? I'm so used to "object 3d programs" it's hard to relate to making a poly and calling it the same color as the rest of the shape and calling it good. But is that the best way to go? I don't need to "attach" the new poly to the rest of the object because it's not really an object at all right?
Sorry for the ramble. And thanks in advance.
Love this board!

ps. to clarify: the blue shape is not supposed to be touching the purple. It should be a solid like a chunk of blue clay.

Beamtracer
03-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Did it look OK before you extruded it? If not, it's better to fix any problems before you extrude the text.

Double check in Illustrator that all your lines are "closed", ie: coming round and joining the point where they started from.

In Lightwave's EPS loader, did you select "closed polygons" and "auto axisdrill"?

nikmills
03-16-2004, 06:42 PM
"auto axis drill" ? that I never used. But i think maybe you're right, one line wasn't all the way closed. I remade the poly in the extruded state. It looked fine as a plane. All's well. thanks

Beamtracer
03-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Auto AxisDrill is good for text, as you want to remove the hole in the in the letters O and P.

mkiii
03-16-2004, 11:55 PM
If that's the only problem, then fixing it manually by adding a point & a couple of polys will take less time than it took to make a screenshot & post a req for a fix.

LWs handling of the many & varied eps formats can be a little shaky (it isn't alone there either).

Darth Mole
03-17-2004, 03:18 AM
It's also worth doing a test render - sometimes you get these weird poly overlaps (especially with text) but the image actually renders fine.