PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here anyhting on NewTekPro?

MiniFireDragon
03-16-2004, 12:33 PM
I thought I'd ask the question again. My last thread on the subject got locked before I could apologize to Lee. Just wanted to say the last thread was not aimed at you or anyone, just wanted to know what was going on.

So, anyine know what is going on?? The site is still up. They are still taking subscriptions and just as always, you can email them and no one responds.

Zach
03-16-2004, 12:57 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

it looks like the copyright on the site says nothing's changed since 2002.

long time

jevinstudios
03-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Well, they took my $$ and never sent an issue (goin' on about 1.5 years now?). If their site is still up, and they're still taking subscriptions, this fraud has gone on long enough!

NewTek should withold the use of their name in this magazine as a courtesy to their customers; allowing this magazine company to capitalize on NewTek and their products, while running off with thousands of subscriber's $$ is nothing short of criminal!

A great disservice to all LW and VT users out there. Time to shut them down, or get them to deliver on their promises, or at least a token issue so we all don't feel so scammed.....

Zach
03-16-2004, 08:01 PM
It seems you have a valid point, and there are channels to go through to do what you say should happen.

If you haven't already, you should make a formal complaint at this address. It's worked for me about these types of issues.

Better Buisness Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/)

Also, since this type of fraud has happened across state lines and probably internationally, you could always contact the FBI (http://www.fbi.gov/) who handles federal crimes such as interstate fraud and I guess Interpol (http://www.interpol.int/) who would handle the international side of it.

robewil
03-16-2004, 08:07 PM
In all fairness, I just went to the site and pretended to want to subscribe. The links to subscribe or purchase back issues have been eliminated, at least in the "Subscribe" section.

jevinstudios
03-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Robewil --

Thanx for the update and the research! NewTekPro has been much less than fair with the LightWave/VT Community, however. They have committed fraud (including mail fraud), and that is a federal crime.

Anything less than a reckoning/payback to the public of the stolen funds from the renagade publishers is unacceptable. Sounds harsh, but if I were to treat my clients in this manner, I'd be sharing a jail cell with Martha Stewart (think of the lovely shanks she could help me make, tho -- all from used envelopes, rubber bands, and plastic dinnerware! A good thing? Not.....)

colkai
03-17-2004, 02:38 AM
I've subscribed to Newtekpro and lost money, I've subscribed to Bill Flemmings mag and lost money (ok, no shock there ;)).

The chance of them honouring your cash and re-imbursing or supplying you with a years subs to the re-launch, (if it ever occurred), are, I would say, Nil to zero.

I'm mad as hell over it, but all it does is harm them.
The only mag I buy now is 3DWorld - from a large and respected publishing house in the UK, with the money to back up their claims.
Every so often, I'll take a peek at the Keyframe back-issues but as it stands, I have that many articles from magazines, unless something amazing is in it, I just won't bother.
Proton's on-line videos and the web tuts are a better bet, plus, most of the time, you get feedback.

Still buy Dan Ablans books of course, plusof course, Dave Jerrard and the countless other authors are also helping us keep up with changing trends.
Though it has to be said, some books should be avoided, but I won't mention names. ;)

prospector
03-17-2004, 03:14 AM
So it would seem that my last issue would be the Monkey cover issue?
I was hoping that the mailmen were reading the mags and would deliver them when they were done:D

I guess the NewtekPro word for the day is FUGETABOUTIT !!!

riki
03-17-2004, 06:14 AM
I think this one died guys. Time to move on. :D

jevinstudios
03-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Agreed, Riki!

I subscribe to only 2 magz now -- Cinefex (extremely koool, and very insightful!), and Computer Graphics World, which is also a very well-produced and reliable publication. Since I run a multi-app studio, software-specific mags like "Keyframe" are not a viable investment at this juncture (learned my lesson from NTP). Prefer pubz that cover a range of apps, from Maya & LW, to AfterEffects, video editing software and visual effects....

MiniFireDragon
03-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Whoopsie... I checked the paged but not the links, sorry about that.

But I am still looking for where Newtekpro is. Has it gone where Carmen Sandeigo did too??

Tom Wood
03-17-2004, 07:30 AM
I ordered a subscription and back issues last spring. A couple of weeks ago I received the back issues, with the Tim Bucks that were promised. So there's -some- life there. Sadly, the articles are too far out of date to be of much help now. It is sorta funny to see the ads for VT2 though. :D

TW

jevinstudios
03-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Too funny! Nothing like a little LW flashback to start your day.....

Silkrooster
03-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey guys,
thanks for this thread I was desiding on whether or not to subscribe. I guess they just lost a new customer. Maybe it is time for some one else to step up to the plate and create a worth while magazine. Hopefully Newtek is listening and will look for other takers.:(

FaeKitty
03-17-2004, 09:20 PM
"Maybe it is time for some one else to step up to the plate and create a worth while magazine."

See http://www.KeyframeMag.com