PDA

View Full Version : any LW8 news..?

Hervé
03-15-2004, 11:48 PM
any LW8 news..?:D :cool: :confused:

Hervé
03-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Can I ask something stupid...?

Ok, on my LW8 bill, I noticed that in fact I am buying the realviz softwares and just under it says "+ LW8 free download when available..."

So LW8 is a free addon gift in fact....?

Please clarify...:cool:

pauland
03-16-2004, 01:24 AM
I believe there's a problem charging credit cards when you can't ship product. This way round you are paying for something that can be shipped, with the free upgrade to follow.

Paul

Hervé
03-16-2004, 02:21 AM
clarified !! thanks Pauland...:D

Panikos
03-16-2004, 05:33 AM
Herve, you keep changing avatars :D

TyVole
03-16-2004, 05:38 AM
Herve,

Is that avatar cg?

Hervé
03-16-2004, 05:50 AM
I took this photo this week-end of my lovely wife....:)

Hervé
03-16-2004, 05:53 AM
BTW TyVole, he he.... if that avatar was CG.... heck I'd be CEO of Pixar right now...! he he...:D

Another BTW is that I love your avatar, you look absolutly wonderful ...:D ;)

mattclary
03-16-2004, 05:58 AM
Congrats Herve, she's quite the cutie! :cool:

jr_sunshine
03-16-2004, 07:34 AM
When March 22 rolls around we shall see....

I think it is a bad idea to assume LW8 will be coming out on March 22nd. If that were true, wouldn't it have been all over the front of NewTeks website by now? We are only 6 days from that date.

I think the latest e-mails from NewTek "CAN" lead one to believe March 22nd is the date because the 21st is the last day for specials. But the context of the e-mail is to notify us about the specials coming to an end and not to give us a "hint" about LW8's release date.

The 22nd could just be the begining. What if they begin on the 22nd the process of packaging and shipping? If that is the case, we might not see LW 8 until the beginning of NAB. And I seem to remember a comment that NAB was indeed the most likely date when LW 8 will be released.

Don't shoot the commentator and his opinion. I am just voicing my opinion.

mattclary
03-16-2004, 07:37 AM
I'm not holding my breath for the 22nd.

I'm shooting for the one year mark from the first upgrade special, April 25. ;)

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3725

badllarma
03-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Maybe SIGGRAPH 2003, should of read SIGGRAPH 2004 :mad: :rolleyes:

One things for sure I'll NEVER preorder an upgrade again from Newtek not even if they throw in a copy of XXXXXX :rolleyes:

claymation
03-16-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm just hoping that some of the holdup was waiting for Apple to release their update to fix lightwave's open GL issues.

With that now out I am hoping that everything else will fall quickly into place.

mattclary
03-16-2004, 09:16 AM
I've held the opinion that LW was being held up for the Mac for a while now. I have a feeling the PC version has been ready for some time now.

Just my opinion.

T-Light
03-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Agreed,
I've had the mac problem on my mind too, but if as you say, it's been resolved then it shouldn't be much longer.

I was intending to write a LW8 out on 22'nd post last weekend, but because nothing's been announced, I'm pretty relieved I didn't get round to it. :p.

However, the evidence was growing.
Newtek had announced that offers will continue until LW8 ships.
Newtek also announced that all offers stop on the 21'st.

I also didn't see how Worley would want to release FPrime during the LW8 Marketing season or visaversa, but then
FPrime was released on March 9th even though it wasn't ready to ship and rather Bizzarely, the special offer was only made available up until the 15th - One week before the possible LW8 release date.

Alas, no announcement yet form Newtek :(

tick, tick, tick...

anieves
03-16-2004, 10:05 AM
he, he ppl. are seeing a bunch of black helicopters these days;)

mattclary
03-16-2004, 11:00 AM
And I have my tin-foil hat on too! :eek:

T-Light
03-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Ha ha :rolleyes:

Admit it, you were thinking the same.

lede
03-16-2004, 11:46 AM
It also has been really quite from Proton. He only released 3 vids last week and nothing from him so far this week. They must have him chained to his desk working on cool content for us :)

-Lede

Netvudu
03-16-2004, 12:38 PM
let´s not forget about DStom announcement, plus there some kind of course on LW8 at Mexico on the first days of April...I doubt they could make a course on LW8 without having it released, could they?

pauland
03-16-2004, 12:50 PM
I think that on March 22nd, there will be a thud on every doormat world wide (except the US where they have those funny boxes) and a LW8 CD and an A3 poster of Irene will be waiting to be opened...

..Chuck, am I close? ;-)

Zach
03-16-2004, 12:53 PM
One things for sure I'll NEVER preorder an upgrade again from Newtek not even if they throw in a copy of XXXXXX

I'll preorder if they throw in a copy of maya or xsi!

hehehe.

oh crap, what that's outside!!!
no! no! nooooo!

:p

mattclary
03-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by pauland
and an A3 poster of Irene

YES!!! It would all be worth it then! :D

p.s. Can't wait til SIGGRAPH, seems that's the only time we get to see pics of Irene!

Verlon
03-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Waiting for Fprime, waiting for LW8. Waiting....waiting.....waiting.... Its like watching your masterpiece render (full radiosity, stupidly high resolution of course).

I'm tellin you I need some UPS lovin' soon or I am going to go (more) crazy.

guardonduty
03-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Will we get a copy of LW8 in the mail. Certified mail, UPS, Fedex, etc

Silkrooster
03-16-2004, 06:08 PM
From what I read it sounds like they are going to deliver electronically. Which would be a very big problem for dial up users. I also read somewheres that the printed manual will not come with it. Maybe I missunderstood. or they will start out with electronic downloads for those that can't wait and the box version will be shipped later. I guess we will all be in the dark until it actually arrives.
Can't wait.......:D

Zach
03-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Unless they have changed something, the manual is an extra $99.

And you have to order that separately by the way.

C'mon Irene, you're making my spleen...

wait, is that how the song goes?

themaxx
03-16-2004, 09:06 PM
i'm disappointed that there's still no word on a release date. this means one of two things: either [8] is still pretty far off, or it's going to ship with little or no advance notice.

the former scenario is obviously a bummer. the latter--not posting a release date--is an insult to those who ordered last summer and were told it would ship Q4 '03.

either ship it or tell us what's going on.

i'm going to print up t-shirts with [8] on the front and "IS IT SOON YET?" on the back. any takers?

Oddgit
03-16-2004, 10:27 PM
ill take one of them shirts :)
plus who is Irene?
and i want to know where my RealViz bundle is too! im totally in the dark, no fprime, no realviz no LW 8 where !!! uuugh

badllarma
03-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Zach
I'll preorder if they throw in a copy of maya or xsi!

hehehe.

oh crap, what that's outside!!!
no! no! nooooo!

:p

OK I lied a copy of Massive would work :D

Hervé
03-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Ok, good, so Proton are U with us, I repeat .... listen this time.... abracadabra... big genius are U there..... wooohooo.... and now the magic word... "ProoooTon !".... hum... nope that's not working this time...:rolleyes: :confused:

I had a thesis a while ago (this was before I ordered LW8 - I sent my check yesterday, so I dont complain too much-) .... in fact this is my always lovely wife -that is more grounded than me- who told me that : " well, if all the programers left the house, maybe the new ones are rebuilding LW from scratch..?"

then I replied : "but.... but... it's impossible! they are showing videos of LW8 almost every day !"

She said " they could have fix a fast show show version with the old 7.5, while on the side a totally new version is in the owen..."

I said : "Bibi, you are extraordinary !"

.... then she went back to her canvas and brushes...

Then I thought, what a lucky boy I am...!

(note : this little story is for amusement):D

themaxx
03-16-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Oddgit
plus who is Irene?

irene (http://www.newtek.com/support/sales/index.html)

Oddgit
03-16-2004, 11:56 PM
and knowing is half the battle!

o man this weather has melted my brain and this render is taking for ever!!!

Bones_3DFC
03-18-2004, 05:13 AM
Hi all
I've been looking for a thread to ask a "stupid" question.
Maybe not stupid - maybe repetitive.

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered before, I do try to
scour the forum.
What might Lightwave 8 cost AFTER March 22nd?

The NewTek website of course offers this info, about the current
price: "The retail value of this bundle is $3,380"
but that's on the bundle.

So any facts or even speculation on what I might pay for Lightwave 8
when it is officially out?

mattclary
03-18-2004, 05:34 AM
http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave%2Bdfx.html

LightWave 3D -- Full Version

With DFX+ including Modules 1 & 4
LightWave® [7.5] plus eyeon DFX+ with Modules 1 & 4, Mac/PC Duo-Dongle -- $1,595
*Offer Expires 03/21/2004

$1595 is the going rate, that won't go up. The DFX thing is a bonus and doesn't affect the price. They are just sating that IF you bought DFX seperately, that's what it would cost.

Bones_3DFC
03-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Oh very good, mattclary.
That makes perfect sense :)
Thank you!

Hervé
03-18-2004, 10:09 AM
xsi seam to be agressive again.... grrr... I hate those guys... I really hate people sneaking by behind to make you vomit your dongle... those agressive trade-ups should be made illegal... and enforced by law and police cars. ! (the ones with the old sirens.... viooooooo.... viooooooooo)

any LW'er would be mad trading our new F_prime/lw8 combo... he he:D ;)

IgnusFast
03-18-2004, 12:47 PM
I just wish I could send back the DFX+ bundle and get a freaking manual! :)

Bones_3DFC
03-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey uh...
Sorry, I have another stupid question
(I'm on the verge of grabbing the Lightwave/DFX deal just before it expires - I'm excited).
So...
With this DFX
From the NewTek site: DFX, bundled w/ Lightwave,
comes with modules 1 and 4.

I swear - I'm looking all over the DFX web site and...
Can anyone tell me or point me to:
prices on various "modules" which do not come with NewTek's bundle?

bloontz
03-18-2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.eyeonline.com/buying/index.html

Click on current pricing.

Zach
03-18-2004, 02:17 PM
http://www.eyeonline.com/products/index.html

bloontz
03-18-2004, 02:21 PM
BTW, I got a call from an Eyeon rep (Pete McDowell) a couple of months ago and he indicated that they would have an attractive deal for the other modules comiung up, not sure what happened to that. I haven't heard from him since but if you are going to buy other modules you may want to inquire if that deal is still in the works. Let us know if you do find anything out.

theo
03-18-2004, 03:15 PM
BTW, I got a call from an Eyeon rep (Pete McDowell) a couple of months ago and he indicated that they would have an attractive deal for the other modules

It is attractive- I finished DFX+ out with all the mods for $995.00 at a savings of $500.00.

bloontz
03-18-2004, 03:34 PM
I think that deal was running at the time I got the call so I was hoping for a different (better) deal hopefully with the modules offered seperately as I only want a couple of them.

Bones_3DFC
03-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by bloontz
http://www.eyeonline.com/buying/index.html

Click on current pricing.
Yes. Very good, thank you.
Don't know why I couldn't find my way to that particular page.
Guess I'm letting the excitement get the better of me.

Yeah - I'll sit tight for a little while (after bundle purchase)
- but then, if DFX lives up to my expectations, I think the next module
to purchase would be 6 [paint] ?
And I'm curious about input/output and Render Node.
I guess "particles" [module 7] would be last on my list because,
hey! I have emitters in Lightwave, right?! :)

Well, I'm babbling. Excited to officially get in on the bundle deal.
Just got plastic from wife... Off to the NewTek order form page.

! ! ! :) ! ! !

Oh hey - envy me :) as soon as I finish ordering my Lightwave, I'm
going straight to Worley for FPrime and the [now] 10 day wait :)
Two good things in one night!

Bones_3DFC
03-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Boy...
Someone should have warned me about the spammy
"Reservation Rewards" $10 thingy.

Ya - I'm kidding ;)

I own Lightwave [8]!
:) :)
:) :)