PDA

View Full Version : safest way to install VT3 patch?

jamesl
03-15-2004, 10:36 PM
I have a couple projects that I need to keep on my VT3, if I back up the user-data directory and the LW/Aura content, am I safe to install the patch?

thanks,

j

jamesl
03-16-2004, 09:19 AM
I found the answer. And kudos to the 25 people who read this post and were too bothered to respond. :rolleyes:

j

Rich Deustachio
03-16-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm sure we will all jump in to respond next time you post a problem after that post. :)

jamesl
03-16-2004, 11:08 AM
ditto.:p

j

Scott Bates
03-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Sorry for the silence James. Normally I would have jumped on your question with a response, but I was in "upgrade hell" at the time and couldn't trust myself to say anything. All seems to be well now, but it wasn't fun getting there. I did have 4909 installed and then discovered that all the Aura content was missing and tried to "back up" to get it; the "rest of the story" wasn't nice.

Paul, next time we're only getting a "partial" upgrade, PLEASE tell us that and let us know specifically what is going to be wiped out and is not included in the patch so we can back it up before the installation.

tmon
03-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Scott, glad your back up and running (I hope).

I have decided that it is safer to allocate two full days for Patch/Build installations, "just in case."

Tom Wood
03-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Huh, I've been watching for upgrade posts and must have missed yours. How did you back up the LightWave files in a way that the image files are still connected to the objects?

TW

Scott Bates
03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
If you're asking me Tom, not sure that I did (connect image files to objects - I'm not a LightWaver). I ended up reinstalling the Gold Master release, copied all the LW and Aura content to another drive, installed the patch then copied the content back into the VT install directories. Based on my limited experience with LW I would assume that if a scene calls for images on surfaces on objects and it finds them all in the same places as they were when you created the objects then everything would be good to go. No? Just my grossly uninformed opinion....

Jim_C
03-16-2004, 06:18 PM
????
Too bothered?????
Just because the question is read does not mean the answer is known.

Installing the patch then running the core updater completely disabled my system. Not allowing any type of boot up past the 'Windows is starting up' screen. Requiring a cmplete reinstall of XP.

So my answer would have been ..Dont Install the Patch.
But I was too bothered to respond and didn't think you wanted to hear that any way.

:rolleyes: :eek: ;) :D

bradl
03-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood
...How did you back up the LightWave files in a way that the image files are still connected to the objects? Tom, I have 'moved' my lightwave content around dozens of times through the years and never a problem. You set your content directory in LW and it looks for the typical Objects, Images, Scenes, etc. in that directory. Even if you somehow manage to move your images out of place it will not find them where it expects them and will ask you to point it to proper directory.

Tom Wood
03-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks Brad, that makes sense.

TW