PDA

View Full Version : Cases & PSU

Dave925
03-15-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm going to be using the Supermicro X5DA8 dual Xeon board but I'm not liking the case nor the PSU they recommend, a supermicro product.

Any one care to share what case/psu they've had success with cooling and power wise?

I'll be running the 3 15K SCSI disks as well.

PIZAZZ
03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Do you want rackmount-able or tower or cube?

Do you need something transportable or seriously good looking to catch all the Honeys?

How many total drives do you want to put in it along with other hardware you need to have installed?? dvd, cd, floppy etc.

Power supplies I use and recommend are:
Antec
Enermax
PC Power and Cooling

Dave925
03-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by PIZAZZ
Do you want rackmount-able or tower or cube?

Do you need something transportable or seriously good looking to catch all the Honeys?

How many total drives do you want to put in it along with other hardware you need to have installed?? dvd, cd, floppy etc.

Power supplies I use and recommend are:
Antec
Enermax
PC Power and Cooling

Good questions! And thanks for the quick response.

I have a good deal of experience building gaming systems but this is a big step up for me. I am a fan of Antec and Enermax too.

Number of drives-

3 Maxtor SCSI 73.6 15k rpm 320's

1 IDE ATA 100 Drive

1 DVD R

Floppy, probably not.

Don't need the bays to be rackmount or swappable. An eATX Tower is fine.

The PSU of course needs to have the 24 pin and the 8 pin 12V connectors.

Thanks!

PIZAZZ
03-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Lian Li all aluminum case then would be my first suggestion.

Something like:

Lian Li PC76 (http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?action=viewPD&prdid=382)

Very nice case.

IF you want something else, then look at the rackmountable case we use for most of our systems. Only drawback is a little higher noise level compared to desktop/towers due to the larger cooling fans. We recently installed a fan speed controller and that helped tremendously.

Here is a pic of that case...

PIZAZZ
03-15-2004, 05:21 PM
A pic of the Lian Li - PC 76

Mark Patrick
03-15-2004, 09:57 PM
I made the mistake of buying a Supermicro Power supply for my Dual Xeon. It did not last very long at all.

I replaced it with a very large one and it has run flawlessly since. I do have an enermax in one computer and they are fantastic.

Whatever you do, buy a huge power supply, because multiple drives really pull on it.

Mark

Dave925
03-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the responses, guys.

What was the supermicro PSU wattage you were using that was deficient, Mark?

I am also looking at the Supermicro 4U SC742I IDE Redundant 600WX3 PS Server Chassis, any opinions on that one Pizazz?

The Lian is very nice, adding a 550w enerax or antec to it would definitely do the job.

Decisions decisions!

Mark Patrick
03-16-2004, 12:45 PM
I had a 420 watt and moved to
like a 650 and even added another
power supply for the scsi stack.

mark

PIZAZZ
03-16-2004, 06:23 PM
We have used one of those Supermicro cases for a system and it was pretty nice. I especially liked the easy way of getting to the storage drives in the front. Had to use several Ys on the power cables though to get the power to all of them.

Overall a nice case. Really Heavy though. Not something you ever want to pick up and ship around. I prefer aluminum cases if at all possible.

VeTTe
03-25-2004, 03:34 PM
check out these cases. it's what i use for most toaster boxes we build.
www.chenbro.com.tw
they have several to choose from. towers, racks, cubes and all. as for power supply the Antec 550w. comes in both flavors (ATX and EPS) very stable 12, 5 and 3.3 volt outs. hope it helps

Imageshoppe
03-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Dave925
I'm going to be using the Supermicro X5DA8 dual Xeon board but I'm not liking the case nor the PSU they recommend, a supermicro product.
I'm interested in the same motherboard, though not for a Toaster system.

I'd really like to find a mid-tower for it, but finding one that can handle Extended ATX is rather difficult.

The Lian Li PC-V1200 looks like it would fit the bill, but I haven't found a single retailer for that box... any suggestions on where I could get one, or another recommendation for a mid-tower good for an extended ATX?

Thanks,

Jim Arthurs

Dave925
03-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Imageshoppe
where I could get one, or another recommendation for a mid-tower good for an extended ATX?

Thanks,

Jim Arthurs

I had good responses to my questions about the case I decided to go with from their service email.

[email protected]

Brief and to the point.

I eventually chose the PC-70-USB.

Check with www.directron.com - they had the best price I could find on the PC-70. Reasonable shippingg too.

-Dave

sadkkf
04-02-2004, 11:49 AM
I built a system using Lian Li and a 450 or 500w supply (don't remember which). It works great!

The case is fantastic. I'll probably not use another brand from now on. :D

Imageshoppe
04-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks all, as follow-up, here's what I went for, as the Lian Li PC-V1200 isn't available quite yet...

Case; Enermax FS-710B-1
Power supply: 550watt Antec EPS12volt

A note to all considering "server" motherboards... check carefully on the power requirements, they may require a power supply of the EPS12volt standard, which has a 24pin main connector and an additional 8pin 12volt connector.

Jim Arthurs