PDA

View Full Version : Got my NEW G4 DP 1.25, tell us about yours...

Ade
03-16-2003, 09:36 AM
I think it really is great, dual cpu is definately the way to go as with osx.
Machine is great, when it does serious calculations you can here the internal cooling come on but it is not loud and whining like the previous models.

1.25 ddr ram is great, but am looking to upgrade to an 8 meg cached HD as well as an ATI 9700 card.

I have noticed though the disapearing grid bug is around due to ATI bugs, but have found work arounds to fix it, so its not disruptive.

I think this model is one of the best macs ever made value for money, the 167 bus isn't all that bad, just make sure you have a nice amount of ram in store.

I'm wondering though what effects do not like more than one thread? I heard Hypervoxels doesnt like dual cpu's, is that correct?

riki
03-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Man my G4 DP 1.25 rocks, it's so cool I haven't even taken it out of the box. Man it's so cool I haven't even taken it out of the shop. Dude it's so cool I can just teliport my ideas to the shop and it zaps them back. Yeah but I'm still having trouble with Lightwave :-) Bugs are driving me mad man.

tubal_c
03-16-2003, 05:20 PM
I have a G4 933. I works real good. Superb work flow. But I think my new (being shipped) Dual Xeon 2.4gig / Quadro4 workstation will smoke it when it comes to Lightwave (well until LW gets better OS X treatment). But XP work flow won't compare to good Ol' OS X.
Is the ATI 9700 geared toward OS X? I seen some kick butt DirectX demos of it but no directX for OS X. hows is it with OpenGL and will any OS X apps support the realtime shading? Cool thing about the 9700 Pro cards is it support renderman style shaders. good for the hardcore renderman folks.

dpartridge
03-16-2003, 07:04 PM
i get the disappearing grid bug on my g4 dp 1.0 also, in modeler.

Ade
03-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by dpartridge
i get the disappearing grid bug on my g4 dp 1.0 also, in modeler.

Toggling thru windows pressing "A" seems to fix it on mine.

kite
03-17-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by tubal_c
I have a G4 933. I works real good. Superb work flow. But I think my new (being shipped) Dual Xeon 2.4gig / Quadro4 workstation will smoke it when it comes to Lightwave (well until LW gets better OS X treatment). But XP work flow won't compare to good Ol' OS X.

Gee, dual 2.4, had that a price worth mentioning to me, a student?
Been looking at single 2.4's or similar to put in the basement (or somewere I dont have to see it) to use for rendering those radiosity scenes that wants +10hours on my Pismo500.

Dual Powermac 1.2 or would rock to I guess!

tubal_c
03-19-2003, 07:27 AM
I got it from www.hp.com. Its one of the xw6000 workstation. With one CPU 2.4gig cost around $1,300 a second CPU is $300 + but it can be had a cheaper price somewhere else. I would love to had bought another Powermac but the price of those Xeons is worth it. I got it cause of those real long radiosity renders. Thing is it comes with 256 meg RAM, plain Ol' CD rom drive, Nvidia Quadro4 200 NVS card (mainly for 2D and Video). But it do have serious upgrade room. I plan on buying no more PCs in the future (unless I get too much work) Thats why I opt for this box. I'm a Mac head I plan on buying the next Powermac that comes out this year. .