PDA

View Full Version : question about the modeler

Silkrooster
03-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I have seen several videos where some one takes something such as a box select several faces and some how convert the lines to a circle. For example Box modeling a head, where the eye is there is a circle around the eye.
My question is what command was used to create the circle?:confused:

Kurtis
03-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Are you maybe talking about hitting the Tab key to turn the polygons to a sub-d surface?

Silkrooster
03-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I don't think so, because when you press TAB you see a outline box around the sub'd. It maybe possible the whole object was already sub'd. But If I recall ver. 8 will have a way of selecting edge loops. It is these loops that I am trying to figure out how to create.

Zafar Iqbal
03-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Are you talking about EdgeTool?

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/modeler.html#EdgeTool

You can use this plugin to split polygons. Maybe you saw this.

(Couldn't find any timelapse vids demonstrating it)

Silkrooster
03-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Nope, I don't think thats it either.
Check out SplineGod's video on creating a head from http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/spline_tutorial.mov
Check out how he did the eye. he said something about moving the points some to make it rounder, then I think he said to use smooth shift and right click.:confused:
I tried this on a square selecting the center polygon. doesn't seam to work. I think I missunderstood him.

mkiii
03-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Why don't *you* just take another look at the tutorial, and maybe try to follow it from the start so it makes sense?

prospector
03-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Just looked at it and all is easy.
Right click tho?
Dunno, I just hit smoothshift and click (left or right does the same thing as far as I can see, so it's probably a habit he got into) in any window.

With 1 poly selected in a box and hit smooth shift will give you another poly (don't unselect yet, then hit size (with action center>selection under Modes on bottom of Modeler screen) just drag mouse (holding down left key) to the left untill your poly is a bnit smaller.
Hit smoothshift again and this time 'move' poly to back of box.
unselect poly (so there are none selected) and hit 'Tab'

If your Patch divisions are 5 or 6 (under Modeler>options>general options) then you will have a circle inside the box.

He used 4 polys so he had to move the corner ones in a little to start getting the rounded shape and finished off the way I just showed ya.

Try the box I did and when ya get a circle to form after tabbing, then you can try a box that has more polys (hit Subdivide under Construct (across top) should say faceted, and hit ok)

With this box, highlite all 4 polys on a side, hit smooth shift, size a bit smaller, and when you hit smooth shift again and move to rear you will see that the corner points have to be moved a bit to start to get rounded poly first.
Once you get that part (moving points) you can see with clarity what he was doing.

Silkrooster
03-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Ok,
I think I got it. I guess what I missed was that he used sub'd before doing a smooth shift. I guess it makes sense now. Now I guess I need to do more practicing.
Thanks to all that helped. That is why it is so important to ask others that know. It is easy to miss a step or two.:)