PDA

View Full Version : Demo?

camaroguy8350
03-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Hey all. College is coming up soon for me and I've basically narrowed career choices down to architecture and graphics design. I am very fluent with PS 7.0 and CS and currently have my own business with a friend designing websites and creating logos/designs. Thing is I really would like to get into 3d modeling but theres no way I can dish out $1600 for something like lightwave 3d. Even other choices like maya, or 3d max studio are expensive. Can anyone help me here? I tried to look for demos but found nothing. Is there anything I can do to get a hold of a decent 3d modeling program so I can start to see if this might be the final choice for what I may want to do. I think with fluent knowlodge of PS its that'll be an added bonus. Any who thanks for any input on the matter.

prospector
03-15-2004, 08:13 PM
There's a demo in the 'Inside LW7' book by Dan Ablan, which is like the 'Bible' of LW books.
A good way to get demo and some MOST EXCELLENT tuts at the same time.

And there are 'usually always' (I say usually always, because there are always something for sale till I go looking for it:) ) on E-Bay which can be had at a discount.

ACLOBO
03-15-2004, 11:20 PM
isn't Blender a free modeling / animation package? You might try that to get you started. Also, just go to your local Barnes and Noble and buy one of the CG mags with a cover disk - like 3D world. THey usually have demo versions of programs and sometimes free full versions of programs as well (usually an older version of the current software).

-Adrian

ted
03-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Don't forget, you can get student discounts on most software.
And as stated above, you can usually find older versions of 3D programs if you know where to look.
As a beginner, if you picked up LW 6 or 7, you would not be doing too bad.

camaroguy8350
03-17-2004, 04:17 AM
Well I got the demo version of Rhino. I like it so far, anyone else use it?

bluehand
03-17-2004, 10:56 AM
I think if you download the updater for LW 7.5, and install it - it actually runs in "demo" mode - the Hub won't work, but at least you can give it a try. It needs the dongle to run in full version.