PDA

View Full Version : Open in VTEdit opening a blank project

jdavidbakr
03-15-2004, 01:49 PM
I am stepping into the foray of ToasterScript, and the first script I want to build is a one that automatically renders a series of CG pages using a template in VT-Edit. I.e, I have 10 pages that were built from the same template, and I want the user to be able to run the script, which does the following:

1. Ask the user for the first file in the CG pages
2. Open a VT-Edit template file
3. For each .png file in the CG pages
a. Load the page into the project, using the inherit propery
b. Render the page

I haven't yet tried #1, and am stumped on #2. I have the following command in my script:

Open("E:\\VT Files\\...\\Template File.VT-Edit")

When executed, I get "Template File" in the little box telling me what file is open, but the file is empty. Further, if I do a "Save" on the file, I get an error that there was an error writing the file. I know my filename is correct, because if I change it then the file that was in there stays there. Help?

jdavidbakr
03-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Ok, I answered my own question, it works if I take away the .VTEdit extention. Go figure. Now, for the other things... I am having difficulty finding the commands in the documentation to do these things, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

PIZAZZ
03-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Jon,

I sure would be interested in seeing you get this happening. I believe that would be a huge boost in workflow. Especially if you have to render out several moving graphic lower thirds for each show like we do.

My theory is why use a still graphic when the system can play moving graphics. My employees sometimes disagree with my theory but I feel like it is what sets us apart from the pack.

Keep up the good work and let me know if I can help.

We tend to play ALOT with TS around here.

jdavidbakr
03-17-2004, 01:21 PM
I haven't found any TS commands to do what I want... you see my list above, the only thing I can figure out how to do is load the template file. I would have assumed that anything you can physically do can be scripted, but I can't find anything in the docs about what the commands are.

On a related note, I am trying to track down the file spec for the .cg files, so that I can write a standalone app to create .cg files, as the Character Generator is quite lacking. Any clue where I can find that? I sent an e-mail to NewTek but haven't heard from them.

bradl
03-17-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by jdavidbakr
...I am trying to track down the file spec for the .cg files, so that I can write a standalone app to create .cg files, as the Character Generator is quite lacking. Any clue where I can find that?...I am not sure the .cg file type is even relevant. It can not be used directly. In this regard the current CG is basically a standalone app. CG Module creates PNG's to be used in VTEdit.

If you were going to go for a new CG to be compatible with VT3 I would shoot for 'integrated'. I.E. the ability to pick a spot on Timeline, envoke your CG app, create the CG then close app and have the CG appear on the Timeline. Then later be able to double click (or something) to update or change the same CG with your App.

PIZAZZ
03-18-2004, 12:12 AM
If I follow the flow of what is desired correctly....

I believe what Jon is trying to do is create all the static text in CG.
Call those individual files into VTEdit as overlays. Save the Overlay on top of a motion file to create animated lower thirds.

Is that right Jon???

We do that at my church over and over every week. 24 png files over the same moving lower third graphic one at a time. Inherit, Render to Rtv, Repeat, ........... Takes forever. I wish it could be automated.

Maybe that is just what I read into Jon's original question.

bradl
03-18-2004, 12:40 AM
True... but read my quote of his and you will see a distinct turn in the discussion...

so that I can write a standalone app to create .cg files, as the Character Generator is quite lacking

Paul Lara
03-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by jdavidbakr
I sent an e-mail to NewTek but haven't heard from them.

I sent your request on to Engineering, and they noted there may be something of assistance. I'll let you know.

Paul

jdavidbakr
03-18-2004, 07:02 AM
Ah, thanks, Paul. I wasn't sure how far that e-mail was going to end up.

As fora s bradl's comment, the discussion turned because I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to automate it, and have just about given up, I don't think it can be done. However, the generation of the CG pages could be automated a bit better; what I am thinking of doing is writing a standalone app that facilitates the creation of CG pages. Like you, I am doing this for a church, so every week there are scripture references that arrive about 15 minutes before the service (if we're lucky). It takes about 20 minutes to type in and render them now, which means we are doing it while stuff is actually going on. Even automating that would be helpful (so that you only have to start typing in the reference and it finishes it for you). However, it would be glorious if the VT-Edit part could be automated as well. By putting these two things together I could cut the pre-service production down to a very reasonable amount of time (and simplify it to the point that ... yikes ... a volunteer could handle it :D )

SBowie
03-18-2004, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking Aura, George, and maybe VI's Batch Factory would make short fairly work of these issues...

PIZAZZ
03-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Steve would you mind laying it out for him and the rest of the VT world????

With all the power of VT3 positioning and layering, I have to many times find a reason to justify opening Aura. George and I never got along but TS and I have been dating for some time now.

For all the churchs trying to do this function, Steve could you give us a little help??

thanks by the way!!

madoka
03-22-2004, 01:42 PM
I Had a same problem trying to open a VT Edit project from a DDR. I solve the problem changing the "\" character with "/" on the file path.

Bobt
03-22-2004, 01:45 PM
In C which this is a soft interpreter for (seems like it)
\ is \\. This is because \ is a esacpe character used in
sprintf printf type statements \n means something
\r \a etc..
Anyway to fix this they made you type \\ twice to say \

:rolleyes: OK so thats a C thingie.

Bob

jdavidbakr
09-16-2004, 01:14 PM
If I follow the flow of what is desired correctly....

I believe what Jon is trying to do is create all the static text in CG.
Call those individual files into VTEdit as overlays. Save the Overlay on top of a motion file to create animated lower thirds.

Is that right Jon???

We do that at my church over and over every week. 24 png files over the same moving lower third graphic one at a time. Inherit, Render to Rtv, Repeat, ........... Takes forever. I wish it could be automated.

Maybe that is just what I read into Jon's original question.

Pizazz -

I wanted to update you on this, since it sounds like you are in the same boat as we are. I have made this whole process simpler, while not fixing the whole inherit - render - repeat I can now do our 20 some odd scripture references in about 5-10 minutes. I have written a simple program that automates the input of the scripture references (it can be one line for the reference and one for the version, or you can just have on line for the reference), it's in a pulldown box so the data entry is incredibly fast. Then, you export it to a .cg file, load it up in the CG, save it (this creates the .png files). Then, when you go over to VT-Edit, name the first render something like "Scripture 001" and it will automatically increment the number with successive renders. Then it's just Inherit, render, return, dragging them one at a time from the file bin below the timeline.

If you want I can send you a copy of the program, there's no docs so you'd have to figure it out, but it may be worth it. Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you want it and I'll drop it to you.