PDA

View Full Version : No Switcher after update 3

soundman
03-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Installed Update, All went without a hitch, now I don't have the switcher.
Click on the switcher in the menu,it loads (i think) but i can't see it at all, tried on all 6 'desktops' it loads (if the animated hourglass is anything to go by) but i can't see it.
Uninstalled VT3 then reloaded in order (i.e. base program then update 2) all ok until I install update 3 (yes i have tried just the update 3 without installing update 2, same problem) no switcher.

At least it cured the 'possible video lock up' error (usually took 8 reboots to get it working).

Any ideas anyone?

tmon
03-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Another thread was already started on this topic:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=19549

Tom Harman
03-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Soundman,

I've got the same issue, per the other thread.

Have you found a solution yet?

Tom

soundman
03-21-2004, 05:17 AM
Tom,
Increasing the desktop resolution worked for me.

ottis41
03-21-2004, 07:54 PM
My fix was roll back to last VT3 update in 2003, when they find a fix to the fix great but untill then i need somthing that works.
So my call is unistall the update if your system was working fine befor.

Tom Harman
03-22-2004, 04:28 PM
I actually reinstalled Windows XP Pro and cleaned the system drive. Installed totally fresh. I still have the same problem. Like you, the previous build works for me. What a pain. So glad I did this during a lull in my schedule as one should.

Blaine is going to ship me the full release to try. I think something is amiss in the patch.

ted
03-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Are you guys saying adjusting the screen size/res. didn't work?

Tom Harman
03-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Correct on my part. I've installed latest video drivers, set to highest resolution, that works just fine for the previous build that works.

Tom Harman
03-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Update:

I did an entire workstation reinstallment with Windows XP Pro, reformatted my C: drive. I installed the full recent release and appropriate video drivers, etc. that I received from Blaine Holm. I still have no switcher.

So I uninstalled the lastest release and installed the original VT3 release and patched with the previous patch (9/03). This works.

There must be a bug in the software.

Tom

Paul Lara
03-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom Harman
There must be a bug in the software.

Well, if there is, it must be specific to your configuration Tom.
I've never had a switcher not show up for me.

Tom Harman
03-27-2004, 05:22 PM
I suppose it could be my configuration, but why is this same workstation configuration totally happy with the 9/03 version of VT3 as well as every preceding one?

I fussed for 2-3 days to get patch 4909 to work. I then started all over with a totally clean c: drive. I did fresh installations of everything.

The result: Version 4909 had a small rectangular icon on the top of my screen when I loaded the switcher but no switcher itself. The icon could be opened with a right click to reveal a drop down list, but no switcher ever appeared. All the other modules showed up and seemed to work as usual.

So today I uninstalled 4909 and immediately installed the first release of VT3 and patched it with the 9/03 version. It works fine, switcher window and everything.

Any clue how this is a configuration problem? I'd be very glad to know.

Tom

Tom Harman
04-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Blaine informs me that the minimum vertical resolution for the latest build is 1024, more demanding that the previous releases.

That will likely explain my problem, and the puzzling question why VT3 worked for me previously but not now. Therefore I'm upgrading my monitors.

So whenever another like me blames the software, ask if his/her monitor supports the appropriate resolution.

I will post later if this does not solve my problem.

I promise to never again blame the software. (Unfortunately I have a short memory.)

Thanks for trying.

Tom

nelsonm
04-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Hello,

I would also agree with paul...

I run
windows xp pro loaded and updated
supermicro mb
u320 controllers and drives
NVIDIA graphics controller

I have not had any problems with VT3 update 3 either. Granted i don't use every function in VT3 but it appears to be a good update.

The only problem i encountered was related to the install of the Kazaa lite codec pack. The codec used by the dve animated icons caused VT3 to crash when rolling over them. I just disabled the function in preferences.

nelsonm
04-04-2004, 09:05 AM
It is possible that the switcher interface is there but off the visible screen.

Try increasing the resolution of the graphics card which will allow you to see more realestate on your screen. You may have to scroll around the superbitmap if your monitor does not support the resolution the card is putting out.

Anyway, its just a suggestion.

Tom Harman
04-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks, I do indeed see a switcher now that I have switched to my old monitor which actually had increased resolution.

Tom

nelsonm
04-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Your welcome!

JonCrowe
04-05-2004, 04:31 PM
Hey everyone,

I haven't seen this problem, but I am seeing something that I think might be related. Instead of the switcher disappearing, the entire interface disappears. It usually happens when opening a VT Edit project. Everything is fine and then "poof" you're back on the windows desktop, no error message, nothing in the event viewer. I can re-launch and start working again, but the problem still shows up. Just as everyone listed above, the only way to get rid of this problem is to go back to another build. Interestingly enough, this problem is only occuring on about half of the systems we have on 4909ver2. Again, just like the problem with the missing switcher, it's not happening to everyone. Please let me know if any of you are seeing the problem I've described.

Tom Harman
04-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Sorry I have idea about your situation.

My absence of a switcher window was totally related to the screen resolution needed to work properly was not available on the monitor I was using. Vertical resolution must be at least 1024 for build 4909. Previous builds did not need this.

Good luck.

Tom

nelsonm
04-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Hello,

If you mean that the VT3 interface disappears and all you see is the operating system background, then it is not the same problem that was solved above.

However, i guess it is possible for a programs interface to suddenly shift off the visible screen for some strange reason. But i have never seen this happen. Then again, there is always a first time.

I have encountered interfaces of other programs disappearing on me. Even when i right click on the program icon on the task bar at the bottom of the screen to maximize the program, the program will not reappear even though i know its still running. Luckily it does not happen that often and i do not think it is the programs fault, i think its either the program process or the operating system possibly becoming or is corrupted.

Two questions...
1 - Is the VT3 or related program icon still on the task bar?
2 - Is VT3 and VTEDIT is still running in task manager?

If i'm off base, please let me know.

JonCrowe
04-06-2004, 07:57 AM
After reading the posts again, I realized the problem I'm seeing is not related to the one with the missing switcher. In your cases the VT is still running, but the switcher is missing. In my case, when VT3 "disappears" it is no longer running. It's as if you went to the menu and exited the app. So my "disappearing" VT3 is really a crash. However, when it goes down it just "pops" back to the windows desktop, no error messages, nothing in the event viewer. The next time I launch after this happens I get the "last session did exit cleanly....." message. So I guess my question should be if anyone else has had their system go down like this???

nelsonm
04-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Absolutely! although not that often anymore.

In your case i suspect either a program bug, data corruption or external interference.

What are you doing - exactly - when VT3 goes down?

Do you have the kazza lite codec pack installed?

JonCrowe
04-09-2004, 02:55 PM
The Kazza lite codec???

nelsonm
04-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Hello,

Never mind the codec pack.

What are you doing - exactly - when VT3 goes down?

LeeTroxel
04-25-2004, 06:22 AM
I had the same problem with the disappearing switcher. I normally run 2048x768 on dual monitors, so I can see LW easier. My solution was to increase resolution to ?x960, load switcher (which then did appear), change switcher to smaller 8x skin, close switcher, then reduce resolution back to 2048x768. Now, when I open the switcher the smaller version appears.