PDA

View Full Version : Segmented character model problems

beeglebug
03-15-2004, 01:37 PM
There's probably a really simple solution to this, but I can't find it to save my life.

I'm working on a robotic character, built in a segmented fashion, with each part on a seperate layer in modeller.

The problem I am having is when I try and attach the mesh to the bones (I have a simple weightmap on each body segment, 100% all over). I want a way to not have any deformations on the pieces as the skeleton moves, as it is supposed to be a realistic metal robot, but every time I try it, the sections flex and morph as I move them.

Can anyone point out what I need to activate/deactivate in order to get the right deformations (ie none...)

Thanks in advance,

Fabio
03-15-2004, 03:48 PM
don't use bones just IK the mesh..

beeglebug
03-15-2004, 04:17 PM
You mean parent up the mesh sections into a heirarchy and give them IK? I'd never thought of that, is it a sensible way to work?

I presume i'd still be able to use nulls and goals/targets etc to finish the rig... I guess I should just give it a go, I just assumed that you should always build a skeleton, even with segmented characters.

Kurtis
03-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Yes, you can parent all the sections together and use IK. Yes, you can use goals, targets, nulls, limits, etc., just like you would with bones.

For what you are doing, it would probably make the most sense, because it gives you all the advantages of skeletons, without the one drawback you're looking to avoid.