PDA

View Full Version : Mice

imshadi
03-15-2004, 11:16 AM
This is from a very long project we finished last year.

The hair was done in Sasquatch, but we had to use a very difficult trick of using baked illumination to shade the hair in order to get it to look more realistic.

LW's own surface baker is quite buggy and we had to retouch and rotoscope the baked sequences to fix the flickering and suddenly disappearing features.

veljko
03-15-2004, 01:34 PM
The image is fantastic!

is there an URL where we can download the entire flick?

great work!

5 stars from me!

imshadi
03-15-2004, 02:47 PM
I will try to make a quicktime and post it here as soon as I have a chance.

For now this is another render (actually a composited image) from the same set of commercials.

The airport is also LW.

To make it look like radiosity, I rendered one frame with radiosity turned on, and then added a bunch of spotlights and area lights in the right places to simulate the same visual effect.

The hair is once again Sasquatch with baked illumination used to shade the hair. There is a very good tutorial on Worley on how to do this, but the images featured in it donīt look so promising so one may be fooled into thinking the whole technique is not worth much.... for me this tutorial saved my life.

Oliver [imshadi]

PaQ
03-15-2004, 02:49 PM
lovely ! 5 stars for sure !

veljko
03-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Ive visited your web site and seen some pritty impresive stuff! How many people are in your studio? Whats the average age and wellcome to the forums!
I see we will learn alot from each other (mainly me from you, but anyways:) )

imshadi
03-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Thank you for your comments on our site!!!

We are about 12 people, but in the 3D department we are actually 4. Average age may still be in the twenties, but unfortunately not thanks to me anymore...

We began with Lightwave 1.0 back when the toaster was the most expensive dongle ever! and have continued to work mainly with Lightwave until today and hopefully longer.

I really hope to learn a lot from the people here (when do you really stop?). Thank you for your welcome!

ikaruz
03-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Kinda reminds me of Stuart Little, looks great. Very nice and the quality shows. :)

Rich
03-15-2004, 06:50 PM
WOW, that is amazing! I will have to check out the tut on worley's site you mentioned. Can't wait to see the animation.

smok3
03-16-2004, 01:43 AM
yup, very nice stuart little clone.

p.s. with your knowhow it is really shame that you cant think of something more original...

etobiason
03-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Great work! No doubt just what the client asked for, but more. I like how each mouse looks different, they really have personality.

-e

pixym
03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
FANTASTIC
:eek:

Kuzey
03-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Mighty fine work!!!

Kuzey

Rich
03-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by smok3

p.s. with your knowhow it is really shame that you cant think of something more original...

With that kind of thinking then whenever anyone does realistic humans then you can say they are Final Fantasy clones. Just cause they made an animated mouse in Stuart Little first doesn't mean they are ripping them off. There have been many other animations using mice. Like "An American Tale", "Secret of Nimh" Although those 2 wern't done using 3d software its still using the same concept, animals with human characteristics. I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

wacom
03-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by smok3

It's too bad you couldn't come up with a more orginal knock on these images.

While I too like to see "new" things I think doing something well has its own merrits. Anothropomorphic ideas have been used since before even the acient Egyptians.

imshadi
03-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Sometimes you have to do what your client wants... sometimes you can get really lucky and do what you want.

smok3
03-17-2004, 12:44 AM
ok, i guess that was rude from me, but i mean it really more like 'if i had your tech abilities...' :( (and yes iam aware of the most of the time silly client / server relations.)

etobiason
03-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Like I mentioned before, I don't think these mice are clones of anything, not even each other. A lot of character and individuality amongst the group. Really really great. And it's warm in Costa Rica, isn't it? Need any interns...??? :D

imshadi
03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Yes, itīs generally between 20 and 27 degrees centigrade, which is cozy (sorry, absolutely no idea what that means in Fahrenheit!). The beaches are warmer though, but that is a good thing for bathers!

And interns are always welcome ( as long as they donīt mind our third world incomes :rolleyes: )

DM67
03-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi imshadi,
Outstanding work, I do not find other words :cool:

Vizjerei3D
03-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by imshadi

The hair is once again Sasquatch with baked illumination used to shade the hair. There is a very good tutorial on Worley on how to do this, but the images featured in it donīt look so promising so one may be fooled into thinking the whole technique is not worth much.... for me this tutorial saved my life.

Oliver [imshadi]

Sorry, can you post the link to that tutorial? i think i miss it.. :( please~ thanks~

etobiason
03-19-2004, 03:29 PM
I lived in Japan for three years, I understand centigrade...whew...that's warm. I think I'll go off in a daydream....

-e

imshadi
03-19-2004, 03:54 PM
The link to the tutorial is

http://www.worley.com/TutFiles/AlbeeShading/index.html

By the way, here's another image. In this case most of the background is made of live elements with a few props made in 3D (those that the mice hold or interact with).

I guess the hard work here besides the animation was matching the lighting and the camera motion. But I suppose it came out alright.

Expensive equipment is hard to find in Costa Rica, so we don't have special 24 frame monitors to synchronize with film cameras. Hence the image on the screen is also composited, and that is true for all commercials made in this country.

Motion Control is also quite unattainable, so you have to come with some pretty creative ways to make believe some motion control is there in some commercials.

Thank you all guys for your feedback....

3D Slave
03-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Great work!
I have that last pic as my desk top wallpaper for inspiration.

Lewis
03-20-2004, 07:31 PM
This last render is excellent, soo "moody" and have overal great feeling :).

Thumbs UP!

agv
03-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Holy smokes, that's great! I especially love the last image!

Thanks for posting your pointer about how you rendered one frame with radiosity and then used it for reference to set up other lights. I always appreciate hearing how things are done and learning from talented people like yourself.

Dick Ma
03-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by imshadi
This is from a very long project we finished last year.

The hair was done in Sasquatch, but we had to use a very difficult trick of using baked illumination to shade the hair in order to get it to look more realistic.

LW's own surface baker is quite buggy and we had to retouch and rotoscope the baked sequences to fix the flickering and suddenly disappearing features.

I am interested about how you make the light setups in outdoor or indoor when use with sasquatch, can you share?

imshadi
03-22-2004, 10:30 AM
For outdoors, I almost always use one strong sunlight, white with a bit of yellowish orange. Usually an area light but a small one. I don't use simple ray traced lights because those sharp shadows are too sharp even for the sun. [Unless I were rendering architecture or a huge spaceship, where sharp shadows give a sense of larger scale]

Then I use an very large area light featuring the overall color of the sky [What some call a Skylight]. However I have to use 5 as the quality for the shadows or they become grainy, strangely I could not use G2 with this mice, because it made the hair look grainy no matter how much quality I put in.

Sometimes I substitute the big sky area light for four smalller lights, so I can have small color variations in the Sky Light. This definitely makes it look more real, since the sky is actually never made of a single color. The smaller area lights can use smaller quality settings since the mixed shadows from all of them generate less dithering noise.

Finally I add one of two fill lights, just as a photographer would do when shooting a subject outdoors. I am a lover of area lights, but this comes with a price. Luckily this project lasted for seven months and the client was more interested and comprehensive of the need for quality than most clients usually are.

I also found some great tricks for increasing the speed of sasquatch renders, including rendering one mouse at a time [lack of memory is usually the strongest factor in slow sasquatch renders]. Also, all shadow options are turned off on the hair, remember that the lighting on it is a bake of the mouse lighting rendered on a previous pass.

For indoors, the thing is more complex, since it depends completely on the mood you require and this can change a lot. In the case of this last image, all I had to do was replicate the lighting in the original plate. Once It was satisfactory, I tweaked it a little to compensate for the existence of the mice elements, and added a few subtle fill lights just to make them look nicer. Most lights though are still area lights, but most of them do not require a quality setting higher than 3, only the strongest ones.

Zarathustra
03-24-2004, 08:54 AM
BEAUTIFUL!

Yeah, G2 and area lights don't play nice.
It sounds like you could write a book on just this project - you've got a lot of various things going on from lighting setups to Sas tricks, baking, compositing, etc.

I can't wait for the animation link.

MacDaddyKash
03-25-2004, 07:38 PM
*bows* You are my new god! *lights candles* If it pleases you oh great one please bestow upon your humble servants thy great animation so that we may worship you all the more. *bows*

Architook
03-25-2004, 09:24 PM
imshadi-
Your pics.. obviously awesome. I love the look of the last one, but I like the detail closeup of the second one.
I want to see more, but you don't have any more pics or links on your site.. will we ever get a chance to see?
GREAT WORK!
:D