PDA

View Full Version : No Manual!!!

Tony3d
03-15-2004, 11:04 AM
I just got off the phone with Newtek and found out that you will not get a manual even if you upgrade after Lightwave 8 comes out. If you want a manual it will cost you $79.00 bucks! Sorry but that stinks.

danilo
03-15-2004, 11:09 AM
No manual?
No 8!!!! Now,THAT stinks.!!!!!!!
danilo

TyVole
03-15-2004, 11:10 AM
I'm planning on getting one of LW8 books that should be available after the release. If you buy one from Amazon, you'll pay half what a manual costs (if not more.)

That combined with the electronic manual should be sufficient.

moubctez
03-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Do you mean "no printed manual", don't you? I hope we can download the PDF. :)

prospector
03-15-2004, 11:23 AM
So did they mention the day you WOULDN'T be getting the manual?
(a different approach to asking when LW8 WOULD be out):D

Beamtracer
03-15-2004, 01:09 PM
For Newtek, the most expensive manufacturing component of Lightwave 8 is the manual!

I think it was pretty well known that pre-orders of LW8 would get a PDF manual. Given the choice between a manual or RealViz, I think I'd take the RealViz!!!

Johnny
03-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Personally, my comfort level with PDF manuals has increased greatly over the past year, especially since I have more than one screen, and can have the app in question and its manual up at the same time..big help.

I do wish that NewTek would either put in links or change the numbering scheme for the manual. Page 23.14 corresponds to God knows what physical page, and you can't tell Acrobat to go to Page 23.14. Not pretty when you need info fast.

IMHO, the FCP4 pdf manual is an example of how PDF manuals should be done: the TOC and index entries are LINKED to the pages where that info appears. May be more labor-intensive, but I'd think a realistic goal.

Or, maybe NT could switch to the HTML model of manual.

Certainly would be big help on this end.

J

TSpyrison
03-15-2004, 01:39 PM
I dont remember the last time I actually looked at the printed manual.. If I have an issue, ill load up the PDF file and do a quick search through that.. So im fine with just a PDF..

However, its kinda difficult to take a PDF file into the bathroom for a good read...

:D

drclare
03-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey, don't forget folks, you can print out your pdf manual to have a hard copy. However, I do still think that a printed manual should be included, because they obviously haven't dropped the price of lightwave by $79.

NTComm
03-15-2004, 03:38 PM
The entire reference manual for LightWave 3D [8] will be in HTML help file format, and LightWave will have a help button on the interface that will call up the help file when you need to access the reference. We will probably also have the reference manual in PDF format as well.

riki
03-15-2004, 03:57 PM
A PDF makes more sense to me. It's less expensive to produce and easier to update. I can print out sections if needed, copy and paste tips that I what to remember.

mrunion
03-15-2004, 05:43 PM
The point is not that they *haven't* dropped the price $79, the point is that they haven't RAISED the price $79.

soloart
03-16-2004, 04:43 PM
I printed the PDF files out in beautiful 2-sided, laser color... and they're bound even! Gee, I wonder how much business I'd do if I sold them for $50.00 each to disgruntled upgraders? (or how long before NewTek's lawyers would come knocking at my door?!:eek:

Vincent Brumbac
03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Let's see.....I got the upgrade for $495, plus a free version of DFX+ (very cool program by the way) and just recently a cool UV editor plugin free. No manual? No big deal. I'm with Ty, getting a LW8 book, reference the PDF file when needed. Or one could do what Soloart has done, print them out on your printer. Take the CD to a printer and have it professionally done. Also, let's chill out. Don't complain about what you don't have and relish in what you do have.

Cheers,

Vincent D. Brumback