PDA

View Full Version : The Good Old White Floor!

Larky
03-16-2003, 05:07 AM
Hi all.

I ahve tried searching for this but can't find it, so I'll add the quaetion. I have come back to Lightwave after a long time away, and I'm loving it! I want to render some scenes with the classic white floor going off into the distance, whilst receiving shadows. Anyone know how to do this, I'm sure you do!

Any links or tips would be appreciated.

Best, Larky.

WCameron
03-16-2003, 06:43 AM
instead of a flat plane curve it upward slowly out of camera range
at the far edges.

Theres another bit to it but for the life of me I'm totally blanking on it at the moment (sorry just woke up.....).
Slight luminosity to the surface maybe... high Ambient... something along that route.....

Jezze I know its gonna hit me when I'm out and about today
and not near a computer! heh

- Will.

riki
03-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Oh it's simple make a flat plane, make surface colour white and relective, turn on 'Ray Tracing' options in the render panel, set up your lighting, position camera and your done.

neocount73
03-25-2003, 03:15 PM
A technique I've had very good results with is to use a Gradient Map on the Luminosity channel of the floor (a big white plane with it's partner in crime; the big white ball). Set the Gradient's Input Paramiter to Light Incidence, Select the main Light that will cast the shadow, Value of 100 at the start (top), 0 at the end and at the 75 parameter (botom and 3/4ths at the botom). I used only one Area light for the scene, I feel these type of "Infinite White Room" sets-ups work best with a single light-sorce. The advantage of this set-up is that you're not just stuck with white as your floor/ environs color (just choose a new Color in the Color Channel of your floor and environment-sphere) and the only shadows cast are by your objects within your light's range. Hope this helps

Skonk
03-25-2003, 04:44 PM
If u happen to have Gaffer then u can simply add a plane set to the same colour as your background, apply gaffer and enable "Luminous Shadow Darkening Tool". Basically the plane will be come 100% the colour u set it to with no shading but it will still recive shadows.

James..

Capt Lightwave
03-26-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by SpankDaddy
If u happen to have Gaffer then u can simply add a plane set to the same colour as your background, apply gaffer and enable "Luminous Shadow Darkening Tool". Basically the plane will be come 100% the colour u set it to with no shading but it will still recive shadows.

James..

Great tip....why haven't I ever tried THAT before?

Skonk
03-26-2003, 10:52 AM
It also works well with Front Projection Mapping when getting it to cast shadows so they look like there on the background plane. Ud usually see where the plane ends due to the shading on it.

James..

Larky
03-28-2003, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll go and try them now. I don't have Gaffer, so I'll be trying neocount73's idea, which sounds cool.

Cheers everyone.

Larky.