PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and G5 and Ram

robotrenegade
03-14-2004, 09:12 AM
How can improve my render time? How can I set it up to use Dual G5? I have 2GB of ram now would more ram help?

Beamtracer
03-14-2004, 01:22 PM
At the moment, most 32-bit applications can only use 2 gigs of RAM. I've got 2.5 gigs of RAM so that Lightwave can have 2 gigs to itself, and the operating system and any other open apps can reside in the extra 0.5 gigs of RAM.

Launch the Terminal application, type in 'top' and hit return. It'll then give you a detailed update on your RAM usage.

Most LW scenes will render in less than a gig of RAM. It's the occasional scene with massive image maps that may need more RAM.

64-bit applications and OSs (when they arrive in the future) will be able to access a practically unlimited amount of RAM (well, more RAM than we could ever conceive of using!)

donski
03-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Robo: Your question is my question and as of this weekend here are some things I tried to boost my render.

In render options, I set Multithreading to 2 threads.

In camera properties I set the Segment Memory Limit to 128.

Here's what happened:

I'm running a fairly heavy volume particle render.
I started my scene render and used CPU Monitor to watch the activity.
At the beginning of each new frame both procs would top out and the fans would kick in. This gave me some pleasure that I was indeed putting the CPU's to work.
They soon fell off and continued rendering in a stacotto fashion, spiking in an interleaved fashion. This reduced my render times by 5 minutes @ frame.
Better but not dramatic.

I'm really hacking my way through this without really having any gospel as to how to go about it. I should also mention that other tweaks were made to the particles in order to incur less computation.
Good Luck.

G5 dual 2Ghz 1.5Ghz RAM
OSX.2.8
LW7.5

chrisdude0000
03-14-2004, 09:01 PM
They are Optomizing Lightwave for OSX soon and I belive I saw something somewhere that they were going to make it 64 bit. As soon a s it goes over to 64 bit Lightwave more ram will help but the OSX optomization should come after lightwave 8 and help alot.

robotrenegade
03-14-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm waiting for 8 so bad. LW and 10.3 suck ***. When moving anything is jumps for far I have to start all over again.

brayne
03-15-2004, 01:22 AM
On a G5 dual, you can even pump up the threads to 4 or 8. This can shave a little bit off your render times as OSX handles multiple threads really well. You may notice a slight speed lag in other applications if you're rendering with 8 threads in the background though.

Bruce

donski
03-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Robo:

That jumping problem can be fixed by setting in General Options, Input Device,

Tablet rather than Mouse (even though you may be using a mouse)

This same jumping problem happened to me when I switched OSX up to Jaguar.
Switching the Input Device setting did the trick. And then over time it "healed itself" and I now am using the mouse setting again. Go figure.

Brayne,

Obviously I have a lot to learn because intuitively I would have thought that if I had two procs multi-threaded to 2, that both CPU's would be maxed out until the frame was finished. But, as per my earlier post, they both seem to have a lot of time on their hands even though the frame is far from rendered. Thanks for the info.

jdavidbakr
03-16-2004, 08:50 AM
If you've got a dual, the best way to boost render speed is to launch two instances of LWSN, each using one thread. This guarantees full use of both processors (whereas using two threads only uses both processors when a process can be broken up into two threads). This effectively doubles the render speed (i.e. if a scene takes 40 minutes per frame, you will instead be rendering two frames in 40 minutes). And, in my experience, LWSN typically renders faster than F10.

brayne
03-16-2004, 02:59 PM
jdavidbakr, I agree with you totally. I've been working with LWSN a lot, and there is no doubt it is significantly faster for rendering, and running 2 instances of LWSN is faster than running one with a 2 thread setting. The main problem is that you can't use 2 instances of LWSN to render a single frame. If you have a large single image to render, you can only use one LWSN instance.

I recently released RenderFarm Commander which is a ScreamerNet network controller. I am presently adding the ability to split and share single images with multiple render nodes. I've managed to make it work, but it still needs some refining before it's released with this feature.

Bruce

Beamtracer
03-16-2004, 03:36 PM
jdavidbakr + brayne

The two rendering gurus together!

brayne
03-16-2004, 03:50 PM
One rendering guru, and one rendering apprentice!

Competition is healthy don't you think?;)

Bruce

donski
03-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Well, this is my next big issue, now that I've got all my various computer's networked, to get ScreamerNet going. Aside from some intimidation and rumor's about it not working on the Mac it has been at the end of the learning queue as I have wrestled with Particles and Modeling. I love wearing a lot of hats but, boy, is my head getting sore.

Thanks, guys, for all this great information. I will be dealving deeper soon.

cheers.

Meshbuilder
03-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Your G5 will be faster with 4 GB Ram.

Programs like iDVD, Final Cut Pro och iMovie will gain 10-30 %..

Some rendering in iMovie took 8 minutes to render with 2 GB Ram and only 5:42 with 4GB.

A complex filter in Photoshop took 5 minutes and 23 s to complete but with a 4GB G5 only 3 minutes 17 seconds..

Source:

http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=460_0_1_0

claw
03-17-2004, 03:20 AM
More ram will probably make Lightwave render high resolution images faster!