PDA

View Full Version : C4D Studio bundle more expensive than LW!

jevinstudios
03-14-2004, 08:09 AM
What's the story, here? I've never even thought of Cinema 4D as a professional alternative, 'cause up to this point I've never met anyone in the industry who uses it. But, upon doing some research for my studio on where 3D apps are positioning themselves in the market, I was quite surprised to find that the full Studio Bundle of Cinema 4D even tops Maya Complete in price, with upgrades running over $1,000! (Studio Bundle is around $2,595 retail)

Have I been under a rock for so long, or has Cinema 4D become a major player in the 3D world? What's so great about it, I wonder? If it's not as good as LW, then the app is greatly overpriced -- BUT, if it IS as good as LW, then LW is definitely the BEST deal around, and has become the cheapest major 3D application in the business.

Any comments or feedback from others out there who use both LW and C4D?

grundgedanke
03-14-2004, 08:54 AM
well, there are points where c4d is better than lightwave, there are point where it is not. the easiest way for you is to download a c4d demo and check it out for yourseld.

i really like c4d too even if i am a lightwave user and nowadays it is a truely professional package. even sony has put in their production pipeline. but in my opinion it is a bit overpriced. not that it isnīt worth the money but you can have other comparable packages for less money wich is the reason why i bought lw.

it would be too much to explain the whole c4d here but i can say its also a GREAT product. it may took some more time until its more accepted in countrys lile the usa.

give it a try and see for yourself.

pauland
03-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Maybe it's time for the LW price to rise... ?

jevinstudios
03-14-2004, 09:31 AM
I already use both Maya and LightWave, which together give me the most powerful 3D tools in the industry -- was just curious about C4D, since it seems to be a pretty expensive application nowadays, compared to it's past and competing products. In Europe, how does it rate in the industry? Is it pretty widely used (film, broadcast, print, etc.)? Do the modeling capabilities stack up to LightWave's in quality, ease and speed?

I would only purchase C4D if I was to replace LW, which I'm not ready to do at the moment (I love LW's modeler so much).... Currently, I have all the power in C4D Studio Bundle already included in Maya (3D paint, advanced particles, dynamics, etc.).

Just that my first glimpse at C4D in many years has actually got me thinking about it's possibilities, which was a great surprise to me! If it's price is any indication of it's toolset, rendering/modeling quality, and workflow enhancements, NewTek might have some serious competition on their hands....

grundgedanke
03-14-2004, 10:38 AM
its hard to compare lw modeller to c4d. my very own opinion is that i LOVE lw in everything that depends on organic modelling. the workflow is very smooth.

for nonorganic things i like c4d more. also it has a faster (in some cases much faster) renderer (i just ordered fprime, that might change the situation :-)

you said you use lw and maya. i dont think theres any need to change lw to c4d then. particularly if you love lw for its modeller. i use lw and c4d, so you can see c4d as my maya! :D

but software often depends on the personal impression. so if youre really interested in what c4d does you have to test it! ;)

jevinstudios
03-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Right on, Grundge!

I think your point about our dual app preferences is quite valid -- more and more, I'm looking at C4D Studio R8.5 as a competitor to Maya, and not LightWave. By using LW and Maya together on a daily basis (LW for modeling, and Maya for animation, dynamics, particles, 3D Paint, and rendering), I think I've got everything covered from all angles (I went thru Maxon's site thoroughly this morning, and checked out all the specs and possibilities for C4D -- everything C4D can do, I've got in Maya; there's also a lot that C4D can do that LW can't, so I think that by using C4D with LW, as you do, you've got all the power that my studio has with our chosen combo!).

Quite interesting. My opinion of C4D has definitely been upgraded today, and had I not invested so much into my Maya pipeline, I would have to give C4D a very hard look as a truly professional alternative. But, at this point, it appears that switching to C4D would be a Maya sidegrade, and that's not what I'm looking for.

Maybe, if I can find some free time (yeah, right!), I'll download the C4D demo and play, just for fun and some more enlightenment.....

cavalos
03-15-2004, 11:35 AM
I remember when I posted "is cinema start to replacing lightwave?" and all the pelope jumps saying things like "Are you mad!!! Lightwave will always be better than Cinema in everything!"

So what now...

When others see chance, I see cost?

acocq
03-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Just my 2 cents worth ...

Having used both LW and C4D, I believe that C4D is a very good and extremely stable software package.

It's very hmmm "object oriented", so e.g. if you have a cube and apply a "bend" modifier to it, you get a nice tree-view of the object and all associated modifiers. Which you can then remove / modify at any time ! This does wonders for your undo capabilities ! Very nice.

The modeling in LW (IMHO) is beaucoup smoother. And while there are times that I dislike the separation of Modeler and Layout, it does give you a very structured workflow.

As far as rendering is concerned, both packages do an excellent job (can't wait to work with Fprime :cool: ).

Animation should be better in LW8 than C4D.

Cheers,
Andreas

grundgedanke
03-15-2004, 01:06 PM
well said!