PDA

View Full Version : Croteam's Serious Sam2 & LightWave support

BNA!
03-13-2004, 11:32 AM
For those of you who love to mess with LightWave and gaming engines:

Just read that you'll be able to export cameras directly from LightWave to Serious Sam (2). (http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=20373)

Everybody who has ever tried to script a camera into a game with so called game tools should be very happy with this one.

edit:
Sorry for posting a thread that does not contain any reference to LightWave[8] or FPrime... :)

WilliamVaughan
03-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Croteam Rocks! Wait till you see the characters in Serious Sam 2 ....

oDDity
03-14-2004, 09:51 AM
I hear Doom 3 is also Lightwave friendly, but just how friendly is it? Will we get Lw plugs for character import and animation complete with normal mapped shaders etc?
I have to assume that Epic didn't releaseactorx plugins for LW because of LW limitations, since they included support for .lwo import, and a lot of their content was done in LW.

WilliamVaughan
03-14-2004, 10:21 AM
All assets for Doom3 were created with LightWave. But I'm not sure what kind of support they have for plugins

BNA!
03-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Well, Doom3 supports triangulated .lwo model files out of the box.

You will have to write material shaders for the surfaces manually tho, but that's not a big deal.

So far there is no known exporter for animated .lwo models.

As far as we know Doom3 sports it's own proprietary file format for animations (md5anim) and animated meshes (md5mesh).

But since these file formats are plain text, it shouldn't be too hard to write an exporter for it.

Good thing is, that you can export your game level from the built in editor to the .obj format.
So you simply load it up in LightWave and add some detail to it according to the imported level geometry (static meshes).

A very talented guy on my forum has already written a well working but not publically released exporter for MAX in no time.

If anyone with programming knowledge reads this post and is interested, I could hook you up for a collaboration to write an exporter for animated LightWave objects.

Would be very cool and much appreciated by the community!

BNA!
03-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by proton
All assets for Doom3 were created with LightWave. But I'm not sure what kind of support they have for plugins

William,
interested in a collaboration?

Drop me a line.

Lamont
03-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by BNA!
edit:
Sorry for posting a thread that does not contain any reference to LightWave[8] or FPrime... :) Ahhh.. you disrupted the flow... BANNED!! :)

Yeah, I am gonna buy Serious Sam just for the LW compatability. I hate jumping through hoops to get content into an engine.

BNA!
03-16-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Lamont
Ahhh.. you disrupted the flow... BANNED!! :)

I knew I was about to catch some serious fire from you :)