View Full Version : *!* Is there a new Patch version of the Patch??

03-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Hello. Sbates had mentioned specific filesizes on his download of the patch that didn't match, compared to follow-up downloads.

My 'first' Patch 3 download (filename: VT3P4909us) was the same as as his - 98,237,588 bytes. Note the filename.

After reading his post, I downloaded again. The filename now is: VT3PatchUS2 (note the 2), and the filesize is: 98,240,958, matching Sbates 2nd download and note. He had chalked it up to a bad download.

I have to wonder if Newtek has revised the patch already - I don't recall seeing any notice about it from Newtek, or subsequent advice.

Newtek or anyone - Please advise. I updated our switcher to the patch last night on a break because we were having RS/8 problems, based on tech support's recoomendation The patch VT3p4909us seemed to install okay, but I was getting nasty errors when running newtekrtme.exe. We have effectively entered our switching capability (so far) with a fresh reboot, and going straight into VT3 (no other side flush utilities being run)

Now it looks like there may be a new patch/Filesize: VT3p4909us2.

My switcher is in front of 4000 people today, all day. I'd like to know if there is indeed a new patch version, what the reasons are, and what I should do to uninstall/reinstall the first patch I downloaded and installed (VT3P4909us) - if indeed I should.

Please, Please, Please, Please advise.


Paul Lara
03-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Yes, the install script for Update 3 needed to be modified, to fix a problem with the AVI wrapper not installing properly. That revised file, 4909us2.exe, was put in place Friday evening.

I find it personally inconcievable that you would gamble with an update install right before a show. YIKES!

03-13-2004, 08:47 PM
I agree - I don't gamble like this typically. But after the system was not acting reliably with potential lock-ups, it was worth it to try it. It also was thrown in after numerous calls to my vendor, and to Newtek - the patch was recommended.

It's something I hope I never run into again - I hope this is a rock-solid build, and that I can regain 100% into VT again.

PS - the remaining shows went off without a hitch. No burps, lockups, nothing funky, very responsive to whatever was thrown at it.

Any advice or details on a formal uninstall/reinstall to the new us2.exe patch, for those of us that did the first vers. 3 patch?



03-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Paul, is this new patch 4909us2.exe fix the TMPGE project render problem as well.
I found that after I put the VT3 patch 3 on that the clarity of the mpge video was very much compromised.
Will this 4909us2 fix that?

I normally would hve waited for the dust to settle but I was inbetween projects so I thought it would be a good gamble.
I do have a new project to start this week so if 4909us2 does not fix this I am going to hve to go back to patch 2.
I am thinking the cleanest way to do that on windows 2000 is to
reformat drive and start clean. Unless you have a better idea.

Paul Lara
03-15-2004, 01:30 PM
I believe that TMPGEnc makes some use of the avi codec.
I'll have to verify that, Ed.

As for getting back to Update 2, you can just ininstall Update 3 and re-install update 2. There's no need to flatten your drive.

03-15-2004, 02:00 PM
It would be very helpful if you could confirm what changes are in this new patch. ALso on the down load site it would be less confusing if you could change the date the new patch was
posted. I had to go thru the process just to see that it was indeed a newer version than the one posted on the 11th.

Also could you confirm what was the last patch version number for patch 2 so I can go into my archieves and pull that out if I end up having to go back.



Paul Lara
03-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by edmellnik
It would be very helpful if you could confirm what changes are in this new patch.

It's all listed on the download page, Ed.

03-16-2004, 12:25 PM
I beg to differ with you.
First of all the new patch has the 3/11 date.
secondly it does not tell us anything about what the
new US2 version of Patch 3 does differently thatn version US.

ON another post you will see pictures of before Patch 3 and after patch 3 and Patch 3 version US2 is the same problem as patch 3US so.....
It has not fixed the problem with TMPGE Project renders.

From what I have read Patch 3 has cause as many new problems as it has fixed.


03-16-2004, 09:54 PM
I'll take Patch 3 over patch 2, thank you. ;)

And don't forget, not every problem posted is related to the software. Many things I read have been user/system error.

Paul Lara
03-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by edmellnik
it does not tell us anything about what the
new US2 version of Patch 3 does differently thatn version US.

The sole change of Update 3 US2 was to ensure the AVI wrapper gets properly installed. Fini.

03-18-2004, 02:39 PM
So, if we were fast at installing the patch before this revision, we would need to download and install the 2nd revision to make the AVI wrapper work??

03-18-2004, 02:47 PM

Ed is correct as far as I can see. There is no mention on the download site of an update to patch 3, and the date is the original date that the patch was posted.

Please clarify if everyone who installed patch 3 immediately, needs to download and install again.

03-18-2004, 02:55 PM
I know you were asking Paul but I will also answer here since he has answered my questions.
If your download patch file is called 4909us.exe then that was the first. The second two days later was 4909us2.
And according to Paul, the only difference is having to do
with the AVI wrapper functionality.

Neither of those fixed the problem with loading projects into
TMPGE however Eugene has posted the fix for this.

The only way for me to find out if the download was different was
to download again. Once I saw the 2 after us, I realized it was
indeed a different file. If you dont need avi wrapper then you
dont need it.

Hope that was helpful.

03-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes, I installed the first version. So, do I install the 2nd on top, or uninstall the first one and then reinstall the 2nd?

03-18-2004, 07:42 PM
I went to the contrtol panel and uninstalled that patch and reinstalled the new patch.


03-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Having said all this, I would agree with kleima that a one line mention **at the top** of the changes list would have made this clear for everyone.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, Paul posted that update 3 was ready for download, yet no post was made to notify everyone that a change had been made. (Yes it has been mentioned since, but my point being that it would have been nice to also post an "offical" hey guys, IF you have allready downloaded update 3 we have since posted a revised update 3 to correct an issue with the avi wrapper.)
I have yet to install either version of update 3, and frankly am not sure I want to. I am reading quite a few posts here about various issues from a number of users. Perhaps there will a "newer" new update of the update?

03-18-2004, 10:23 PM
What "various issues" are there that haven't been solved already?

Again, I'm talking stuff that seemed like bugs that would make patch 3 worse than what you already have.

For instance:

1) AVI Wrapper problem solved, installer problem which was fixed.

2) TMPGEnc plug-in or AVI Wrapper with TMPGEnc problem. Fixed with tweak of crop setting in TMPGEnc, was not a bug.

3) CG to VT-Vision, not a bug, just select DSK on switcher bus. Intentional improvement to prevent surprises during live switch when you launch the CG.

03-19-2004, 07:28 AM
As this is a long post (and took some time to compose) let me reiterate, these are things I am reading. Some, many may be isolated to a specific computer/software config. yet that does not deminish the fact that I too may experience the same result. I have tried to take care in not quoting an issue that has been resolved as not being attributed to update 3a/b.
As a side note, my upgrading decision is on hold anyway as the power supply in my 6 month computer emitted a puff of smoke and died last night. :(

What "various issues" are there that haven't been solved already?

A post from rwstv:

Yes, I did download the newest patch . It appears that the wm9 encoder just doesn't recognize the saved .avi file.
It seems to me that some simple code is being left out in the newer versions.
The Aura problem. When I click on the Aura program in T3 it starts out like it's going to load then just stops. I guess I'll have to reload everything including the original discs to see if that works.Also, today I've discovered that Lightwave no longer works. It loads a portion of the program then locks up. It starts looking for something online. It keeps getting more weird every day.

A post from norman:

...but now I am experiencing the rearranging of panels in Aura...

A post from C111smith:

I have been getting several c++ runtime crashes with p4909us. The error is cited "R6025 -pure virtual function call"
MS Knowledge Base search shows it to be an error in the way the programming code is written.
...the error message does name "vt[3].exe" and also, after the crash the task manager indicates that vt3 is still running.

A post from Tom Harman (and several other people):

No switcher window on my system either. ...Had no problem with previous build in this regard.
I've had to return to Build 4744. Can't finish a project without a switcher window.

A post from mccabejc:

Just installed VT3 the other day on a Supermicro X5DA8 using a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, using latest drivers, and dual monitors, and also ran the "Ooops" batch file, but I'm getting the Direct Draw error message when I run VT Vision.

A post by Ray Larson:

Is anyone having problems with the video presets in the tool shed? I just installed the latest build (4909US2) and when I try to match up video in clips in the tool shed my system locks.

A Post from Peter Palesh:

Since installing the new build I am unable to use any .wav files imported to the timeline.
Usually when I drop a .wav file in, the (wait) message appears and then the graphical representation shows. But now nothing happens. The .wav files work fine in other programs.
The weird thing is that I can open pre-patch 3 projects with .wav files inside and they work fine.

And from sbates:

...Tried uninstalling Patch 3 through Add or Remove Programs, but it will not remove the patch, just acts like it's doing a repair for about three seconds then says it's "finished performing maintenance". I uninstalled the VT[3] release build and patch 2a and cleaned the registry of all instances of "Video Toaster" and "NewTek", rebooted (cold), and Patch 3 is still listed in Add or Remove Programs and still goes through the same "act" even though no remnants of VT[3] are on the system. :( :(

Paul Lara
03-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by wvp
As this is a long post ...


and the point to this post... ?

03-19-2004, 10:57 AM
There are no guaranties in life or in patches. If you expect a guaranty that it won't cause problems on your specific system, no one can presently or ever will be able to give you that.

Personally, I haven't seen any of the problems that you quoted.

The normal thing to do is never install a patch while you are in the middle of a project. But when you are done, that is the time to try it. And if it doesn't work for you, go back to an earlier version of the software that does.

03-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Just because someone mentions a problem with their system, does not mean it is a bug, nor that it is related to the latest patch.
For example, the rearranging panels in Aura is a bug that has ALWAYS been in Aura. It is most certainly NOT related to the latest patch! Maybe this person just now noticed it. Maybe they don't usually use Aura. It does this on a random basis. The way around it is to get it to open up once correctly, then uncheck save this configuration, then it will always open with the "old" correct configuration.
Install the patch, it is awesome.

03-19-2004, 02:33 PM
the point of that post, paul was to answer the question scorpioprod asked, that being "what "various issues" have not been resolved."
I am well aware that there are no guarantees - I never said I expected one.
All I have said is that I am reluctant to install the update as I am reading about issues that several people have had. Given that we have three systems the thought that I might have to go back to update 2 (and possibly have difficulty in doing that) causes one to think twice.
Will I update - I'm sure at some point I will.
I really do not mean anything negitive with my post just stating my concern about what I have read.
Hope all of you are or will be enjoying the new update.