PDA

View Full Version : Where oh where should I go for knowledge?

Blood Rayne
03-15-2003, 11:14 PM
I want to know what some of you think, expecially those who have good jobs in the 3d industry. I want to go to college to get a degree in computer animation and I'm torn between going to a university or an art college. I still have a few years of highschool, but I would rather not have to worry about all of this in 2 years. The thing is, I want to go to a university for the "college experience" and to take a diverse amount of classes. I also favor going to an art college like Full Sail because of the individual attension and contacts. So, I guess my question is what college have you gone to, or are planning to go to, and was it worth it?:D

ted
03-16-2003, 12:16 AM
With great humility I admit, I never went to college. I went straight from high school and got my First class license, (which now doesn't mean much). After that summer I went to work for the NBC affiliate and started learning by doing instead of the classroom.

While this worked great for me, I'm not recommending it will work for you. My kids, are thankfully doing the college rout, but the best experience you can get is by doing!

Find companies you can intern with and grab all the experience you can while you're in high school.
Get a hold of whatever programs you can and use them nightly.

It sounds like you're motivated enough. That's the most important asset to achieve your dreams!

Epita
03-16-2003, 04:25 AM
well, you sound like me too. i am going to finish school then take a gap year to work 3d, then go to university to study Aeronutical Engineering. then go on to get a job somewhere on a games team (hopes) so do what you want to do, just because you dont have an art degree dosnt mean you cant to art. GO WILD

Epita

lone
03-16-2003, 12:03 PM
can't really address your question directly, but i will suggest this: get the software (if you haven't already), and practice, practice, practice. whichever way you go, you'll have a good head start.

Blood Rayne
03-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Find companies you can intern with and grab all the experience you can while you're in high school.

Well thats good to hear since I'm already attempting to teach myself. Interning right now, however, is a bigger task since I live in the middle of nowhere. Driving to Houston everyday would suck.

And it's not that I'm relying on college to get a job, just more to make sure I didn't miss anything. The thing I was really curious about was if anyone knew of a college that had good facilities or offered something more than the others.

Thanks for your input so far! :D