PDA

View Full Version : 2000 to XP

bbeanan
03-12-2004, 08:42 PM
I know this has been asked but... I am upgrading to XP in the next week or so.
When I upgrade do I need to start over with VT3 CDs, then each new build update...

Or will it upgrade with no problems?

Scott Bates
03-12-2004, 09:38 PM
You need to start with the VT[3] Release CD (Build 4536) and then install the latest Patch you have on top of that. Yesterday's upgrade is a patch so it has to be installed over a full build as do the two previous upgrades. If you keep or move the DVEs to a drive\partition other than C:\ that shouldn't be affected by the OS upgrade and you would then only need to install the first VT[3] CD, and the second one if you want the documentation on the system.

I just upgraded from W2K to XP and discovered that I ended up having to format the two other partions on my system drive because XP wouldn't keep them the way they were with the data intact so I'd recommend putting the DVEs on another physical drive at least temporarily, a stipe set would be as good as any.

bbeanan
03-12-2004, 09:45 PM
So I can re-install the VT3 CD and the latest patch (skipping the other patches)

Scott Bates
03-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Yup. From the upgrade info page: "It is a cumulative patch, containing all previous improvements."