PDA

View Full Version : text problem (horse still kicking)

intransition
03-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Ok, I just put my hands in adobe's last ilustrator version, made some text, converted it to outlines, ungrouped, exported in legacy eps 4 times, one for each version of ilustrator, but just the ilustrator 3 mode let me import it in modeler... the problem is text looks bad, some shapes are modeler curves, some others are polygons and there is also a lot of garbage in a corner. What Im doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Beamtracer
03-12-2004, 05:01 PM
It's as bit hard to tell what's wrong with your text in particular, without seeing it.

Sometimes it helps to clean things up in Illustrator before importing the text into Lightwave. In Illustrator, view "Outline" in the view menu, and make sure there are no extraneous things like rectangles surrounding your text.

I always export text from Illustrator in version 8 EPS and it seems to work.

In Lightwave Modeler, load the EPS importer and set curve divisions to 'Fine' (it usually works for me unless you need massively extreme close-ups of the text).

Select 'Closed Polygons'.
Select Auto AxisDrill
Select Auto Centering.

See how it goes. Sometimes things will still need a bit of tidying up in Modeler.

drclare
03-13-2004, 04:40 PM
why don't you just import the ai file after you have made outlines? I export ai file from Flash MX and they work fine with LW.

intransition
03-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks a lot Beamtracer, Ill try that tomorrow as soon as I turn on the comp.

Drclare, I dont have flash, and chances are I wont as exporting a file to have text in lw would be the only use for it.

I really hope better text handling with lw8

Beamtracer
03-14-2004, 04:35 PM
If you've got Adobe Illustrator you can do text pretty well when combining it with Lightwave (whatever version).

I think after you do it many times you'll get used to importing the text into Lightwave.

Originally posted by intransition
I really hope better text handling with lw8 The feature list of Lightwave 8 is available on Newtek's website. I don't think there'll be any major surprises that aren't listed there already.