PDA

View Full Version : AVI Saver Problem in VT[3] Update 3

StanStalter
03-12-2004, 08:27 AM
I just upgraded one of our VT[3] systems with the Update 3. When I load an AVI project that I saved out of TEdit into Canopus ProCoder, I get an error. I tried to load the same avi project into Ulead DVD Studio and got an error also. It appears that the AVI saver is broke in this update. Anybody else have the same problems?

RomainR
03-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Yup, looks like its broke again.

Seems that it did the same thing as when Patch 2 was released.

Anyone else care to check on their machine.

fboulene
03-12-2004, 09:28 AM
yes it seems to be broken, although it does work with TMPGEnc,
or maybe I do not know what you're talking about.

Francois Boulene

RomainR
03-12-2004, 09:41 AM
My guess is that it works with Tmpeg because Tmepg is able to read VT edit projects. So it problably ends up reading it as a project and not as an avi wrapped.

SBowie
03-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Busted here ....

Norman
03-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Wow, I just posted on another thread that TMPGEnc+ will not load projects saved under update3, now the .avi saver is broken also? Major bummer! :eek:

bradl
03-13-2004, 12:20 AM
It's sounding more and more like wait a week for Patch 3's update before installing the current offering... how come this crap does not get caught in Beta testing?

Norman
03-13-2004, 03:10 AM
I'm really surprised this got past Eugene, assuming he tested this build.

SBowie
03-13-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by bradl
... how come this crap does not get caught in Beta testing? You did note, too, that the LW content is missing, right?

RomainR
03-13-2004, 06:55 AM
It's probably got something to do with the installer.

Update 2 did the samething with the avi wrapper and it was because of a problem witht the installer.

ScorpioProd
03-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey, who's using my name in vain! ;)

As for the present patch, speaking as a heavy TMPGEnc user, I would recommend rendering out to a Type-2 DV file for TMPGEnc encoding. This has always been my recommendation in fact, and it's not changing yet.

Rich Deustachio
03-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Eugene, when doing this you have no problems with audio sync on long projects?

Paul Lara
03-13-2004, 03:53 PM
It's sounding more and more like wait a week for Patch 3's update before installing the current offering... how come this crap does not get caught in Beta testing?

As you now know, Brad, the install script has been properly modified, and I made sure the corrected version was in place before leaving Friday.

Our aplogies for the temporary setback.

bradl
03-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Sorry I let my frustration show a bit.

Sounds like things are on track now. Luckily I didn't have time Thursday to install so I guess I'll re-download and do it Sunday.

Tom Wood
03-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah Brad, go ahead and install it. Just do it! :p

I have probably the lowest frustration threshold of all, so for the safety of the equipment, I'm holding off for now.

TW

BTW, did you receive the email I sent with the animation, or did it choke the email system and you never saw it? (Or worse, it was so bad you're just being polite?) :D

bradl
03-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Oh, yea I forgot to tell you we got it. Thanks!

Mike and I were both going 90 mph finishing out the week's work. We enjoyed watching it. It's amazing how much work is required to produce something as detailed as that. I hope you have good success with the project.

Just curious if you intend your characters to be an outlet for a particular political viewpoint or will be more of a generic news reporting format?

Tom Wood
03-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Just curious if you intend your characters to be an outlet for a particular political viewpoint or will be more of a generic news reporting format?

I guess it depends on whether you think Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, and Al Franken have a particular viewpoint or not. Not that I'm in their league, but if it were ever mentioned in the same paragraph as they, I'd be pleased. And anyway, the name of my production company -is- Subversive Entertainment...

TW

BTW, I am using SO many cheats to produce this show all by myself, VT3, Mirage, MotionMixer and MagpiePro are my new best friends!

ScorpioProd
03-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Rich, audio sync where?

Rich Deustachio
03-13-2004, 11:26 PM
I heard that if you use DV type2 for long clips it will lose audio sync. Didn't know if that applied to rendering to it as well, or just capturing long clips.

ScorpioProd
03-14-2004, 03:35 AM
OH, that you probably heard from ME! :)

The deal is this:

Type-2 DV is the standard DV format used by all applications such as DV utilities and NLEs that I know of.

The only application I know that truely supports Type-1 DV is the VT[3]. (And it's only the VT[3] plug-in that gives TMPGEnc Type-1 support.)

So, if everyone else is using Type-2 DV, I will postulate that it WORKS and does NOT lose audio sync.

By definition, Type-1 DV has interleaved DV compressed audio, so it should be absolutely impossible for it to lose A/V sync... But if you remember one of the earlier patches to the VT[3], even the impossible can happen.

By definition, Type-2 DV has PCM audio. Theoretically, this isn't as locked to the video, it's not a true interleaving, so it's not as tightly A/V sync locked. But again, I look at what I've said above and still insist that Type-2 DV does not lose sync if implemented properly.

So what's the story with the VT[3]? Type-2 WILL lose A/V sync when doing DV capture via firewire ONLY in the VT[3]. There is no reason it should. Type-1 will NOT lose A/V sync when doing DV capture via firewire. If you render out of the VT[3] as Type-2 DV, you will NOT lose sync. And again, this proves my point empirically that it's a problem with the VT's capture.

And yes, I have personally tested the same footage with a DV utility capturing it as Type-2, VT as Type-2 and VT as Type-1 and got the results I listed above.

Is this really a big deal? No. If you're capturing via firewire in the VT[3], simply set your DV type to Type-1 and it's happy. For everything else, use Type-2.

Note that I have not tested Type-2 DV capture from analog in the VT[3], so I can't say whether that holds A/V sync or not, but I would recommend Type-1 to be safe.

Tom Wood
03-14-2004, 06:39 AM
Hey Eugene,

After Patch 2 and installing TMPGEncPro, TMPEGEncPro would not load a VT3 Edit project. It immediately crashes every time I try. I called Newtek Support and they said to render out a Uncompressed UYVY. Haven't tried it yet, but I was curious as to why you would choose one over the other.

TW

ScorpioProd
03-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Space and quality.

If my source is DV/DVCAM, my final product certainly isn't going to be higher quality than that.

More importantly, I have read a number of white papers that show how one can think of DV compression as a filter when going to other compression later. It gets rid of the hard to compress bits that are going to be thrown out later anyway.