PDA

View Full Version : For The People Of Spain

Hervé
03-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Hello, I know it may seam a bit off topic with LW, but I would like to say Condolences for the People of Spain, and all the families who have lost a parent in the tragedy.

They said on Radio, it could be related to Al Qaida... well I dont know , but I just wish all that terror to stop one day on Earth...!

Later, Hervé:(

js33
03-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Yes it is sad. We just need better worldwide intelligence gathering to stop these wackos before they have a chance to do anything.

Cheers,
JS

ingo
03-12-2004, 01:42 AM
Yes that was sad to read yesterday morning on the Internet. I think the part that worries me most is that you never really get to know what is behind all this, just the usual " it was the ETA" or americas favourite " it was AlQuaida". But you didn't get a clue what really is going on and who is really behind this attacks.

blabberlicious
03-12-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by ingo
you never really get to know what is behind all this, just the usual " it was the ETA" or americas favourite " it was AlQuaida". But you didn't get a clue what really is going on and who is really behind this attacks.

Uncertainty and fear - that's the nature of terrorism.

As for intelligence - they had plenty of it - but they'll never have enough to defeat this type of outrage. That's for certain.

My heart goes out to all the victims of this frightening time, on all sides.

riki
03-12-2004, 02:13 AM
It happened on the 11th of March, which the News Report said was exactly 911 days since September 11.

Odrakir
03-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Thanks guys,

This is all a mess now, everybody on TV, Radio and out in the street talks about it.

I don't live in Madrid now, though I spent there last year and I have a lot of friends a relatives there. Fortunately they are all allright.

I think it was ETA (as usual) but this time they don't have the guts to say it, so they try to blame someone else. It has been the biggest terrorist attack in Europe anyone can remember.

These kind of simpathy from all around the world makes the pain for the people close to the terror more bearable (hope I'm explaining myself here...bad english). Just wanted to thankyou as a spaniard and ask you to do the same in some other boards where you know there are spanish people.

Odrakir.

By the way, anyone knows if cgtalk is down? or is it my internet connection?

Ade
03-12-2004, 02:59 AM
Just shows Bush/Rumsfields method of force to stop terrorism is futile. To learn and love and "RESPECT" ones neighbour is the ultimate form of security.

Beamtracer
03-12-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by js33
We just need better worldwide intelligence gathering to stop these wackos before they have a chance to do anything. I agree, JS. Tanks and planes won't do much to stop it. Intelligence gathering is the answer. Plus love and respect for thigh neighbor, as Ade says.

shermanlu
03-12-2004, 04:27 AM
no words but tears...:(

God bless Spain...

lasco
03-12-2004, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Just shows Bush/Rumsfields method of force to stop terrorism is futile. To learn and love and "RESPECT" ones neighbour is the ultimate form of security.

wow !
guess we'd stop with such considerations…
I personnaly never agreed with Bush / Rumsfield / Iraq war or whatever,
but this is Spain.

And Spain is victim of ETA for years and years (we'll have I'm sure of it,
confirmation in days that they did that).
And if in some few cases you may reasonnabily consider
that terrorism has "reasons" (despear of people, injustice, etc.)
it's not the case at all here.

ETA are just mad right extreme people,
what they officialy claim does'nt make any sense,
they just want power by force. No, no, no excuse or dicussion with ETA
(nor with AlQuaida besides, just the difference is that AlQuaida is not known very
well so there are many times suspicions about it but not always accuracy)

lasco
03-12-2004, 04:41 AM
Tanks and planes won't do much to stop it.

There are none of them in Spain Basque Land,
and the people of this country are in no way oppressed by spanish leaders.
(sorry I can't translate Basque in english)

juanjgon
03-12-2004, 05:28 AM
Thank you to everybody ... here in Spain we have no words to express our pain. I live far from Madrid, but i goes there often ... i am very affected, like all Spanish people ....

Juan J. Gonzalez

lasco
03-12-2004, 07:16 AM
impressed I am…
it's the first time I read a message here of the great Juan Gonzales.

cheers !

jagoca
03-12-2004, 07:55 AM
I must also thank you all

Fortunately all people I know from Madrid is allright, but it's terrible when they say: "well, most of us knew someone who was in one of these trains"

don't know really what to say

ivanze
03-12-2004, 08:01 AM
I live in a country where we have terrorism attacks almost every week, and I know how does it feel.

My condolences to the people from spain. I still can´t believe what I watch on the news.

anieves
03-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Ade

Why in the Hell is this Bush's fault? The problem is that your "neighbour" is not interested in love and respect.

I am sure that the Bush administration will do what they can to help Spain, a friend, just like Spain has helped and supported us.

Do I support Bush war on terrorism? YES. Better them (terrorists) than my loved ones.

My Boss is from Spain and he still has family there. These kind of people deserves no compasion and like cancer should get rid of for ever or it'll just come back.

As far as I see it ETA just declared war on Spain and their frieds and therefore I'll support Spain's actions against terrorism.

smh
03-12-2004, 08:20 AM
My condolences to the families of the victims. We can only pray for this madness to stop someday.

Odrakir
03-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks again, I knew LW community was great.

As far as I see it ETA just declared war on Spain

The problem is a little more complicated here. There's a diffuse line separting ETA, people who support ETA and nationalists. The spanish goverment can't go and "declare war" or respond to a war in those terms. Cause this is not a war, these are criminals, just as a rapist or a thief (well, not "just as" something much bigger, but I hope you get the point)

The thing is that we have to stop them with legal help and no tanks.

As far as I know the Bush administration is helping Spain against ETA (pretty sad though that we had to wait until we supported USA in Irak). But if this attack was made by Al Qaeda then is just revenge and Bush and Aznar will have to do some explaining, as 90% people or more here, were against Irak's war.

Odrakir.

lasco
03-12-2004, 08:49 AM
But if this attack was made by Al Qaeda then is just revenge and Bush and Aznar will have to do some explaining, as 90% people or more here, were against Irak's war.

in that case anyhing would not make anymore sense.
Because… a "revenge" ? But for what ?

Iraq's war was in no case a war against terrorism though that's what of course
Bush, Blair & co claimed for months…
And that's besides why 90% of spanish, french and even the very largest part of
all European people (and World people) were against that war.

Saddam's regim was affected by this war
Iraqis civilians were affected by this war

But Al Quaeda was not, not at all, so I'd be surprised they try to get revenge for anything there…

mattclary
03-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Ade

This one actually made me laugh. Yeah, respect, that's what they want...

And my codolences to Spain. My prayers are with those who have died and those who are in mourning.

Odrakir
03-12-2004, 09:02 AM
As I said the idea of an Al Qaeda attack is not very probable, but in case it was it'll just be 'cause they consider the war against Iraq as an attack to all the islam so... but, anyway, did they ever needed any excuses?

I know it was ETA, but I don't like how the world is starting to behave, I don't like terrorism, but neither I like disproportionate response to it. USA bombed a whole country (more than once, and more than one country) looking for a man or some people...:( . I just hope they have clear that not every Basque is a terrorist and that we don't need no war here, cause that's what THEY want.

Odrakir.

Meaty
03-12-2004, 09:05 AM
very sad... condolences to my Spanish friends. :mad:

(no surpise when I saw the title of this thread that somebody would find a way to bash the United States):rolleyes:

lasco
03-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I'd say that is probably more linked not to islam, Iraq or whatever
but too ETA and the elections that are coming this week-end (or the next one)
in Spain…

Rich
03-12-2004, 09:33 AM
First my condolences to the Spanish people for their losses.

Well there are hints starting to appear that this may be Al-Qaida.
Here is something from a news report on MSNBC

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4502950/

Among the tantalizing hints that Osama bin Laden's terrorist group might be involved were the discovery of detonators and an Arabic-language cassette with Quranic verses in a stolen van outside Madrid and the fact that the attack occurred exactly 2 1/2 years -- and 911 days -- after al-Qaida carried out the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks in the United States. The infamous attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon using four hijacked airliners are known around the world by the shorthand reference "9-11."

novadesigns
03-12-2004, 10:27 AM
This is so terrible and sad. The people of Madrid have my deepest sympathies. :(

I only think the whole "love thy neighbor thing" works if its a two-way street. And it is clearly not! That golden rule is a Christian philosophy not shared by muslim extremists and terrorists. Their only golden rule is "kill the infidel". It doesn't matter if we invade Iraq, help Israel resolve their dispute with the Paletstinians, play brinksmanship with North Korea, or just pull back behind our borders and do nothing. The terrorists will keep trying to kill anyone that is not one of them until all they have left is themselves. And then they'll probably turn on each other killing and killing until there is nothing left.

They are barbarians that deserve no respect, love, or mercy.

Lamont
03-12-2004, 10:36 AM
I have been reading about this for couple of days. It is very sad.

T-Light
03-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I've been going to Spain on holiday since I was young, I worked there for a few months back in the eighties, I loved it.

I'm so sorry.

Schwing
03-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Ade

Show them force, and you're a bully out to rule the world.

Be passive, and you're easier to kill.

Anyone who targets civilians is the lowest slime and needs to be vaporized.

dwburman
03-12-2004, 03:22 PM
My condolences to Spain as well.

I don't know the political situation in Spain but a coordinated bombing like that really is sad because you know there's more than one nutcase involved.

Presumably people use terror attacks to get people's attention. This may be a case where they drew too much attention and can't claim it. It's pointless even from their standpoint. What a horrible waste.

I hope those responsible will be brought to justice and shut down.

Netvudu
03-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Thanks everybody for your interest and your sympathy.

I live in Madrid, and it was hell here. Fortunately nobody from my family was affected by the massacre. I reckon I´m very lucky for that.
It was terrible, and one can´t avoid feeling a mix of rage and fear, even when you attempt some ordinary actions such as taking the bus or the underground or a short-trip train such as the one that was bombed. In one way or another it affects you, but at the same time I feel very proud to be part of this city and this country which reacted in such a courageous way against the action.

The day of the massacre there were so many people donating blood, that some of them (such as me and a couple of friends of mine) had to return back home without being able to donate at all! Only one of my friends was able to, because he had a rare blood type that might be needed.

Today mass meeting in Madrid joined according to the news around 3 million people, which means more than 50% of the total number of the citizens. And maybe not more attended because it rained the whole evening/night (it was cold as hell, I can tell you). And that´s only in Madrid. I can´t wait to see what happened in other spanish cities. I´m sure the attendance was very high.

I also think it was ETA who made this, but we´ll have to wait and see what our own police investigations reports finally.

Thaks again for your interest. It´s nice to know not everything ends up at our computer screens.

PS-By the way, I also lost connection with CGTalk and a couple of other web sites. What gives?

roguenroll
03-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by novadesigns
This is so terrible and sad. The people of Madrid have my deepest sympathies. :(

I only think the whole "love thy neighbor thing" works if its a two-way street. And it is clearly not! That golden rule is a Christian philosophy not shared by muslim extremists and terrorists. Their only golden rule is "kill the infidel". It doesn't matter if we invade Iraq, help Israel resolve their dispute with the Paletstinians, play brinksmanship with North Korea, or just pull back behind our borders and do nothing. The terrorists will keep trying to kill anyone that is not one of them until all they have left is themselves. And then they'll probably turn on each other killing and killing until there is nothing left.

They are barbarians that deserve no respect, love, or mercy.

An artists and a scholar!!!:D I'll 2nd that.

Its us against them, folks.

My condolences to Spain.

mkiii
03-13-2004, 02:24 AM
Whoever did this terrible thing, the people of Spain, have the deepest sympathies of me, and (I hope) all the people of the UK.

The British people were not beaten by years of violent terrorism, from Hitler or the IRA. Spain has suffered a similar fate over the decades, along with a terrible civil war & facist dictatorship. They will not be subdued by cowardly acts of murder on men, women & children.

ingo
03-13-2004, 07:01 AM
Maybe some you you are to young to remember, but in the early 80s exactly the same thing happend in Bologna in Italy. There were several bomb explosions in Bologna's railway station, weird. AFAIK the italian government didn't help much in clearing up what happend, similar to Spain that now trys to move everything to the ETA although nothing is proven now.

hrgiger
03-13-2004, 07:25 AM
Some of you should have more respect and not bring the particular politics into this thread. Despite how you feel about our president or the war on terrorism, this thread was started to offer sympathy to the people of Madrid and perhaps it should be left at that. Just my opinion of course.