PDA

View Full Version : FPrime limitations

JDaniel
03-10-2004, 10:52 PM
"The most noticeable limits are no shader or image plugin support, nor LightWave volumetrics, so these effects simply do not appear in FPrime."
Does this mean you can't view shaders or images in it?

CiaranM
03-10-2004, 11:40 PM
It means no shaders will be rendered e.g. Gmil, anisotropic, other plugin shaders. Nor will it render image plugins such as corona, lens flare or sasquatch. This is entirely different from images/image maps, which we are told, will render as normal.

Of course I'm sure you could do a seperate LW render pass for any shaders you really want in your scene and composite them afterwards. It should be interesting to see what workarounds people come up with.

colkai
03-11-2004, 02:45 AM
Plus if the shaders can be utilised in the 'texture' panels, they are picked up. Specifically, anything in the 'shaders' tab of the surface isn't handled due to LW SDK limitations.

As someone pointed out elsewhere, you could always bake the shader, the start using FPrime.

JDaniel
03-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Hmm. Interesting, thanks.
I wonder about displacements?

EDIT: Another limitation is that it's not bundled w/ LW 8!

CiaranM
03-11-2004, 10:41 AM
One would imagine they should work, being a geometry plugin, rather than a shader or image filter. Fprime is supposed to provide increased benefits the more complex a scene is, which could be very good news for complex displacements. Still I think I'll wait till after friday, hopefully some real users will show us what can be done with it.

robk
03-12-2004, 01:08 PM
I ordered my Fprime on tuesday but still no news from Worley. Has anyone been notified about the download yet?

JDaniel
03-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Not yet.

Hexa
03-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Just take a look at the worley site.

We're efficiently processing orders but the FPrime order queue is growing much faster than we can process. Orders placed on 3/9 will likely all be processed by tomorrow, and those on 3/10 around the beginning of next week. Orders today (3/11) will likely take until the middle of next week to process. This backlog is growing. We process each one in the order they arrive.

Christian

BTW I`m waiting too....

robk
03-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Yes I read the site. His post dated 3/11 (Thursday)

"Orders placed on 3/9 (Tuesday)will likely all be processed by Tommorrow (Friday)"

Hexa
03-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Even worse for me..... living in germany Worley's friday is more like an "early saturday" for me. I'm really eager to get my hands on this to play with.... well.... somehow I get used to be waiting for something ;)

Christian.

robk
03-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I feel your pain

Studio Dweller
03-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I placed my order at around 2PM eastern time on 2/9. I received an email invoice today (2/12) at arond 6:30PM with my FPrime serial # and a note saying:

"We will email you a custom web download link when the plugin is released"

Studio Dweller
03-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Got back from dinner and had an email waiting saying my FPrime is ready for download. ...but the Macintosh version won't be available until Monday. Oh, well...

JDaniel
03-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Yeah, the download link has been emailed.....

robk
03-13-2004, 07:42 AM
I ordered on Tuesday and have received no email's so far. I wonder what's up?

bloontz
03-13-2004, 08:15 AM
You should give them a call, some people (those using Hotmail at least) where having their emails flagged as spam. I think they are working today.

JDaniel
03-13-2004, 03:50 PM
I wonder how many people are working there?

bloontz
03-13-2004, 03:59 PM
I think their website said there are 5 people in the company. Not sure if that info was current.

robk
03-13-2004, 05:56 PM
I got my serial number and link for download at abot 4:00 p.m. today (Saturday) I am on central time in Canada

JDaniel
03-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Order # or serial #?

robk
03-13-2004, 06:28 PM
serial number and download location

robk
03-13-2004, 07:25 PM
So I download the file and install the plugin, and follow the installation guide from Worleys web page. Then you get to firing up Fprime and it asks you to click on the registration button, which creates an email to Worley labs. The email it creates has your dongle number in it and askes you to enter your name and the serial number that Worley emailed you previously. So now it looks like I will have to wait until Worley's business hous next week for the registration number to enter in the registration window. So I guess getting the download link and serial number wasn't much of a bonus since I will have to wait untill Monday next week at the earliest for the activation code. (that is unless they have someone emailing back activation codes in on the weekend.)

I just checked before sending this message and I just got the code mailed to me so I am up and running. I will report back later once I play with it a bit.