PDA

View Full Version : Dual Xeon Motherboard Power Supply

paulk
03-10-2004, 05:53 PM
I just found out that dual Xeon motherboards use a 24 pin motherboard power connector and 8 pin CPU power connectors, as opposed to the standard ATX 20/4 pin connectors.:mad:

I was planning to use a ThermalTake power supply with a Xeon motherboard, but apparently ThermalTake power supplies would work only with 20 pin to 24 pin and 4 pin to 8 pin adapters, which seems a little cheesy. I'm thinking there's 4 dead pins in both cases with adapters, and if they aren't really needed, why are they there in the first place?

So, recommendations for a real Xeon power supply?

Scott Bates
03-11-2004, 11:57 AM
I can't answer your "pins" questions, but go to your motherboard's web site and they should tell you there somewhere. Had to replace one of my my power supplies last fall and got the info I needed from the SuperMicro site then it was a matter of seaching out the best source.

VeTTe
03-25-2004, 03:21 PM
The power supply your looking for is called an EPS power supply. the 24/8 pin. Many companies make them. One of my favorites is the Antec 550 watt EPS. Lotta juice for the dualies and all the drives your'll probly end up with.