PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush 2 unveiled!

bloontz
03-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Anyone care to speculate if Lightwaves displacement qualifies as "high quality"?

"Important Note

While ZBrush 2 creates extremely high quality displacement and normal maps, not all rendering engines are capable of making use of them and some engines calculate the displacements in different ways. Please consult your software's documentation. If your software does not support high quality displacements, the displacement map can also be used as a bump map."

All in all this looks like a killer new version.

http://209.132.69.82/zbrush/zbrush2/Z2Home.html

JDaniel
03-10-2004, 01:46 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
I'm getting this 4 sure. If LW can't render it I'll render it in something that will.

bloontz
03-10-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't have the option of using another renderer at the moment so I can only hope that it will work with Lightwave. I hate it when companies are so vague about features, what the h#ll does "High Quality " mean?

JDaniel
03-10-2004, 03:17 PM
They mean sub-pixel resolution. :D :D

bloontz
03-10-2004, 03:25 PM
That is my guess, I suppose I'll just have to wait and try it... I already own a copy so I'll get it for free, unfortunately my copy is a mac version and the mac release is up in the air. They said I could switch to the PC version for $199, I may have to do that.

JDaniel
03-10-2004, 03:39 PM
If you have a PC, do it.

CiaranM
03-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Speaking of displacements, it will be interesting to see how the Fprime renderer handles detailed displacements. For really detailed displacement maps in LW, the object has to be sub-divided to a really high level, making rendering...er...not fun. Perhaps if Fprime is quick enough, this won't be such a hindrance anymore. If so you could render nicely displaced zbrush models within lightwave without loosing use of your computer for a week at a time.

Matt
03-11-2004, 03:10 AM
It does look nice, I particularly like the wireframe shade mode, looks very nice to work with:

http://209.132.69.82/zbrush/zbrush2/GalleryPages/pixolator6.html

jevinstudios
03-11-2004, 05:31 AM
This looks totally KEWL... Will be upgrading my Z today! If LW's antiquated renderer won't handle it, mental ray will (which processes sub-pixel/fine displacement beautifully!). thanks for the heads-up about the new release -- haven't checked Pixologic's site lately.....

bloontz
03-11-2004, 07:04 AM
The upgrade won't be out till (supposedly) the 31st for the PC with the mac version to follow whenever it's done...

I'm hoping that FPrime will be able to make the displacement doable, the one concern I have is if Lightwave can handle the 16 bit maps that ZBrush will put out.

KenM
03-11-2004, 11:47 AM
I don't think Lightwave handles sub-pixel displacement right now, as CiaranM says the SubD threshold has to be set quite high, and the result isn't the same. I do recall Newtek was looking for a hire that knew sub-pixel displacement, so with luck we'll see this soon.

bloontz
03-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Well I emailed Pixologic about the displacement and here's their reply-

"Regarding displacement, the maps exported from ZBrush will work with any
displacement system. However, the rendering engine determines the quality
of those displacements. Subpixel displacement provides the best results,
but you can also get decent results with some other rendering engines.
Also, some of our beta testers have gotten very good results in LightWave
using normal maps for high frequency details and displacement maps for
medium frequency details."

Sounds promising, unfortunately I believe Marvin Landis's normal map plugin is a shader so no FPrime...