PDA

View Full Version : About to spring for LW, but first.....

nee3deep
03-10-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking about going for Lightwave - instead of Cinema4d. Does lightwave have a native tool or plugin
that eases the modeling of (lots of) folded,creased, wrinkled fabric in a very convincing way? Also, what are the advantages of LW polys vs. Cinema4D polys? Isn't there something
very basic in the coding that LW is superior - i think I recall reading that somewhere.....
Thanks very much, nee3

mkiii
03-10-2004, 12:06 PM
For creating folds, there are a number of ways to go, but one easy way is to use the Bandslice plugin, which slices a strip of polys a predefined number of times, leaving the new points selected, so to get a crease, you can just drag those points in.

If you buy now - you'll end up with LW 8 which has quite a few more tools that make this sort of thing even easier. Take a look at the demo videos off the main LW8 link on the main page.

As for other tools on LW compared to C4d - it depends on the C4d that you are comparing it with. C4d Basic package has no real UV tools, so you need to buy the Bodypaint module to get them. To get the lighting & rendering close to LWs capabilities you need the Advanced render module, and so on.

nee3deep
03-10-2004, 12:42 PM
OK, thanks, good info and I can even understand it!!! - is there a demo version available? I found an old link to a demo recently somewhere, but it went nowhere. And the polygons codes? Better? Same?
nee3

colkai
03-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Lightwave has the 'discovery' edition, which is basically the LW7.5 download from the Newtek main site. Which, when installed, will run in 'discovery' mode if it doesn't find a hardware dongle.
Has a limit on points / polys when saving and has a checkerboard watermark on the rendered image, but by loading models and scenes and 'playing around' it should be more than enough to show off it's capabilities.

Personally, I'm biased, but bang-for-buck I like LW, though Cinema does have some nice features, I prefer to 'Wave'. ;)

nee3deep
03-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Great, going there now to try it out. Thank you very much.

Psyhke
03-11-2004, 10:37 PM
As for the way LW handles polygons vs C4D... I'm no expert, but the only thing I can think of that might be what you are referring to is that I've read people talking about the fact that C4D always uses tripled polygons in it's underlying mesh. What I mean is, if you have a polygon that has 4 sides, it's really two tris underneath the hood, so to speak. Does it matter? I really don't know. :)

mkiii
03-12-2004, 08:21 AM
That's how polys work in general. LW is just the same. You may not be able to see a diagonal across a quad, but LW has to calculate it internally. Subdivs are also triangulated internally - just look at one in layout using wireframe mode.

May handles polys in the same way too, so I imagine do all the other apps when they use polys.

nlightuk
03-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Last time I checked, Cinema4D had no support for n-gons (polys with more than 4 sides...)

Regards

Adam

Ade
03-22-2004, 08:19 AM
so lightwave is 100% ngon compliant?

nee3deep how did your discovery in lightwave go?

nlightuk
03-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Ade wrote:

"so lightwave is 100% ngon compliant?"

Depends what you mean by "compliant"...

Obviously all n-gons have the potential for non-planar render errors, and LW defaults to n-gons with a maximum of 200 sides, but the options allow numbers much higher, and I have never run into problems with n-gons exceeeding 200 sides.

If anyone has different stories to tell, I'd like to hear them...

Regards

Adam

Ade
03-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Like is lightwaves ngon support limiting compared to 3ds's? or whoever else has ngons? xsi?

nlightuk
03-22-2004, 09:05 AM
The only limitation I run into with LW's n-gons is that they can not be converted to subpatches.

MetaNURBS (LW's subdiv surfaces) only work with tri and quad polygons...

Not sure about XSI?Max and the like, but I know that Modo has support for subpatches with n-gons...

Regards

Adam
He who awaits feedback on this from someone who has more experience with n-gons in other s/w....