PDA

View Full Version : LW8's BIG GUNS

animotion
03-10-2004, 09:47 AM
First off, I think the features that have been shown so far are well worth the upgrade but I was wondering If we have seen LW8's BIG guns or are they holding the best for last?

I don't really see any benefit in holding out but you never know. I hope there is somthing more that will make us all want to dance in the streets!!
what are you guys thoughts on this?

Animotion:)

Dodgy
03-10-2004, 10:36 AM
I hacve a feeling there might be more to be shown on release (don't want to give everything away do they?) but I am just speculating.

Kvaalen
03-10-2004, 10:45 AM
I think there are. Just my opinion. :)

EDIT: Not neccesarly the biggest/best features but good ones.

badllarma
03-10-2004, 10:49 AM
IMO I think we have seen the bulk of what is in 8 and very good it is too :D

claymation
03-10-2004, 11:27 AM
I think the last big gun is IK Boost. (well maybe LWPaint) Each video shows even more features of the IK Boost and there is no telling how much more there is to this tool.

If this is what they are still working on then I say keep working. This is the a-bomb of animation tools.

Mylenium
03-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Well, I'd speculate on something extraordinary still to come. So far we haven't seen the tiniest bit of rendering and I think we should expect some major things there. I kind of get that nagging suspicion that there have been some vast improvements under the hood.

Mylenium

TSpyrison
03-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Im going to assume that we've seen it for the most part.. Which im happy with.

If there is something else, then thats just icing on the cake.

Jockomo
03-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Well according to the feature request polls, 3D Paint is the only highly requested feature that hasn't been mentioned, with 138 votes making it a tie with advanced soft/hardbodies.

I too would be happy with the current feature list, but that would be some sweet icing.

themaxx
03-10-2004, 01:06 PM
i will be shocked if there are additional previously unmentioned major features/improvements.

why would they do that?

FaeKitty
03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
There may or may not be any unrevealed "Big Guns", but there are a couple of appropriate expressions to consider:

Save the best for last.

Keep an ace in the hole.

Meaty
03-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by TSpyrison
Im going to assume that we've seen it for the most part.. Which im happy with.

If there is something else, then thats just icing on the cake.

/agree

j3st3r
03-10-2004, 02:06 PM
I would be glad if UV had no distortion on SubPatch models...

TyVole
03-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by themaxx
i will be shocked if there are additional previously unmentioned major features/improvements.

why would they do that?

Perhaps to make a big marketing splash upon 8's release.

And to keep the competition in the dark up to the very last moment.

novadesigns
03-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Man, people and their wild speculations, you guys all crack me up. ;)

jr_sunshine
03-10-2004, 02:50 PM
I doubt we will see any secret never before mentioned maya/max/xsi killer feature.

They have obviously had a difficult enough time getting the currently mentioned features developed, tested, and ready for release.

cresshead
03-10-2004, 05:51 PM
the things that will shift new versions of lw are:

ik boost
soft bodies
stichable cloth
bone dynamics

&

F prime

Beamtracer
03-10-2004, 08:43 PM
FPrime won't make anyone upgrade (it works the same in LW7 as LW8) but it may convince users of other 3D packages to come across.

I think we've seen everything listed in LW8 that there'll be. No more surprises.

novadesigns
03-11-2004, 12:03 AM
FPrime won't make people upgrade right now but Steve already said that the features would be changing and he implied that those changes would only work with LW 8.

jat1
03-11-2004, 05:40 AM
u sure the new stuff for fprime is appearing in 8? cause i read they would fix some probs with the plugins when 8.5 comes out... that would make everyone upgrade, fprime owns¬!¬¬¬!¬!¬

Exper
03-11-2004, 07:26 AM
The big guess is about FPrime SDK usage!

We know it runs on LW[7] too... then it's not using LW[8] SDK features.

The big guess: FPrime limitatione are due the using of the old SDK or the LW[8] one is limited too?
Asked before... no reply!

Bye.

smh
03-11-2004, 09:49 AM
It would really be interesting if the limitations are due to LW7's SDK been used instead of LW8's. That would bring the full featured FPrime much closer than we think.

Even a worst case scenario wont keep a full featured FPrime from appearing. Worley will still be able to write his own "FPrime HUB" and have other plugin makers patch their tools to work with it. That way Newtek wont need to update the SDK, at least not for FPrime. But that would be asking far too many favors from Worley. :D

Zach
03-11-2004, 02:24 PM
I bet there is a kicker feature not mentioned yet...

I had a feeling LW would be released in march back in nov. I still think this month is the month, and if my feeling about that was right, then my feeling about a unmentioned feature would be too (crossing my fingers).

Maybe its the LW Painter button in the FPrime vids that has gone unmentioned aye?

Psyhke
03-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Problem is, the LWPainter button was seen on the 7.5 interface, if memory serves.

Zach
03-11-2004, 03:15 PM
I like cupcakes!

Librarian
03-11-2004, 03:16 PM
What`s all the fuss about LWPainter?
Maybe it`s just a synonym of something unspectacular that already exists in LW.
Or a command that starts an extern 3rd party Painter.

Zach
03-11-2004, 04:58 PM
yah, there's just a bunch of darned conspiracy theorists in here!!

Psyhke
03-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Zach
I like cupcakes!

So do I, Zach. So...do...I. *wistful sigh*

:D

petermark
03-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Me too!

And I am firmly believing that LW8 has secret features! I'm must that optimistic!

MorituriMax
03-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
FPrime won't make anyone upgrade (it works the same in LW7 as LW8) but it may convince users of other 3D packages to come across.

I think we've seen everything listed in LW8 that there'll be. No more surprises.
I would upgrade anyway, just to make sure newtek stays in business to make the SDK more FPRime-friendly. Other plugins too, but mainly FPrime..