PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help

Timbo
03-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Hi,

Ok I downloaded some surfaces .srf files, however when I try to load one onto an object it wont appear (anywhere) but If I create a surface then save it as .srf file then reload it back onto an object i have success. what am I doing wrong? and why wont the .srf files i d/loaded appear on my object? please can anyone help me sorry for newbie question if its been answered before just point in the direction......thankyou

evenflcw
03-10-2004, 03:21 AM
Perhaps they're the old preLW6.0 format? I don't know if they are supported anymore.
Did you try placing them in the surface directory (\LightWave3D\Programs\Presets\Surface Editor\Surface Preset) to see if they appear in the preset shelf?

Timbo
03-10-2004, 03:41 AM
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately that dosn't work....maybe its just that they are too old a format. I guess thats entirelly possible. Is there any way to convert them to 6.5? or maybe someone could test one of the surface files for me to see if they are compatible or not?? well anyhelp is appreciated...thanks

Timbo
03-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Timbo
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately that dosn't work....maybe its just that they are too old a format. I guess thats entirelly possible. Is there any way to convert them to 6.5? or maybe someone could test one of the surface files for me to see if they are compatible or not?? well anyhelp is appreciated...thanks

*bump*

mkiii
03-11-2004, 07:23 AM
If you put them in the presets folder, you *should*be able to view them - but I'd recomment that you create a new folder for them in the Presets\Surface Editor\Surface Presets folder. EG old_srf_files

Note that the old surface files have a .srf extension, and the new ones have .pst. This appears to be just a naming convention, since the file contents appear to be pretty much the same in a hex editor.

Drop me a PM to send me a couple if you want & I'll check em out on my setup.

Timbo
03-11-2004, 08:33 AM
I pm'd you :)