PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Lightwave 3d 7.5

youngjgy
03-10-2004, 01:59 AM
Hi, I just got a new system and was trying to get use to lightwave but I can't get anywhere with it. I'm having a lot of problems and the dealer who I bought it from dosen't know much :). When I try to load a scene in the programs folder a dialog pops up saying things like "pfx[emitter] : illegal format can not load" it does this for every plugin, and I checked and the plugins are installed. Also for the objects a dialog pops up saying cannot find the object in, for example "Objects/Electronis/D_Battery.lwo" even though the object is in this directory(when I select an alternate file I can load this object but I shouldn't have to always do it). Also, I have one more problem(which is maybe related to the first problem) when I start fxmonkey the dialog pops up and I enter all the fields with the object loaded but nothing happens(i tried this about 50 times with different objects and values and nothing).

I'm pretty much the newest of newbies so I don't have a clue about anything which can get extremely frustrating. I just want to get down to the tutorials and start to learn. I just hope I can get a reply to this post before I beat the crap out of my computer(which almost happened tonight)
Thanks

mkiii
03-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Read the manual. You can't expect to do more complex stuff like PFX if you haven't found out how to load objects.

Pages 6.16 - 6.17 This deals with the subject of projects & loading scenes.

youngjgy
03-10-2004, 06:53 AM
Thanks, but I have no problem opening objects. I'm talking about loading the scenes. When the progress dialog appears (like in the book for scene file management) it tries to load an object but it says that it can't find it. And it also dosen't seem to recognize any plugins.

youngjgy
03-10-2004, 07:17 AM
I just changed the content directory to Lightwave/Programs (it was just Lightwave). It now loads the object but it still dosen't seem to recognize the plugins. In the progress dialog it says "plugin" : illegal format can not load

xian
03-10-2004, 07:48 AM
maybe you have different paths on the new machine ...
Try reloading all Plugin.
Goto Layout klick layout/Plugins and goto Edit plugins (F11),
goto scan Directory and locate the Pluginfolder in your LW installation. Klick it once and klick OK.
That should hlep

Cheers
Xian

mkiii
03-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by youngjgy
Thanks, but I have no problem opening objects. I'm talking about loading the scenes. When the progress dialog appears (like in the book for scene file management) it tries to load an object but it says that it can't find it. And it also dosen't seem to recognize any plugins.

The scene loads the objects does it not? The Projects folder is not for telling LW where your plugins are. Plugins are listed in the scene file itself, when used in a scene, but their location is not specified. If a scene can't find one you have either not installed it, deleted it, moved it, or never had it in the first place.

So...
If your lw install is in C:\Lightwave......

To load one of the standard scenes, your content folder should be set to c:\lightwave the objects & images are relative paths to the content folder.

Why are your scene files in the Programs folder?

I give up, what is FXMonkey?

If you want help with specific scenes, give the name & path to the scene file.

Phil
03-10-2004, 01:47 PM
FXMonkey is a plugin delivered with the VT version of LightWave. I'm not sure whether it works with the main LW package without modification.

Illegal plugin? That's a new one to me. Unless the plugins are being found, but are corrupted on the disk (probably worth running a disk check just in case), LW should simply report that the plugin has not been found and you can then either opt to locate the plugin for LW or ignore the reference.

Windows will report an 'illegal Win32 DLL image' for corrupted DLL files. Since plugins (.p files) are DLL files, you'll get that kind of error if your plugins are corrupted.

I'd suggest running a disk check first before you go any further. Once you know your disk is sound, you can then re-build your plugin preferences and attempt to sort out your content directory problems.

youngjgy
03-11-2004, 01:10 AM
This post will be long and boring but I just can seem to fix it. I reinstalled Lightwave. I'm not exactly sure what version it is because when I reinstalled it I believe I read VT, but in the layout it says Lightwave 7.5c (I can't get a hold of my dealer to find out). So after I reinstalled it the Lightwave directory had the following folders:

installer
lscripts
online_docs
*programs
legacy_plugins
nt_codec
plugins

and within the *programs folder the following folders:

FXMonkey
Motions
Plugins
Scenes
Images
Objects
Presets
Supplemental

the reason why I wrote that out is beacause in the book the scenes and objects folders are in the Lightwave folder, I just wonder why it in the programs folder after I installed it. I also wondered why theres a plugins folder in the Lightwavwe AND programs folder.

My problem comes when I try to load a scene from the Lightwave/programs/scenes folder that contains particle/wind/gravity emitter etc.

For example, in the Particles_and_Dynamics folder when I try to load fxstar.lws the progress dialog pops up and says:

clearing scene
loading settings
loading plug-in

at this point a "warning" dialog pops up saying

PFX[emitter]:illegal format can not load

and for every plug-in.

What does that mean? Sorry for going through it in that way but I'm not very good at explaining what is happening so i went step by step.

youngjgy
03-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Oh yeah, I made a disk check and everything seems fine

mkiii
03-11-2004, 03:49 AM
So you don't have a Video Toaster, but you have the VT version of LW?

This sounds very dodgy. Assuming you paid for this in good faith, then email Newtek & tell them the details of your purchase.

If you paid cash for this from a legitimate dealer he has either ripped you off or sent you the wrong version. What is the name of the Dealer?

Did you get a box, paper manuals, registration docs, dongle etc? If not then A) get a refund or B) You have a warez copy

If you bought LW from a warez distributor - then sorry, but you are on your own.

youngjgy
03-11-2004, 02:41 PM
I did get video toaster with it but the dealer said it wasn't Lightwave VT. I'm confused!

Aegis
03-11-2004, 02:58 PM
You're not doing anything wrong - I get the same errors loading these scenes on my VT[3] version of LightWave 7.5c (which doesn't come with a box, manual or a dongle BTW).

The particle FX work fine when creating your own scenes but there seems to be something screwy with some of the content files - I assume you can get other scenes (such as the "space" ones) to load fine?

One other thing you should be aware of is that the VT[3] version of LightWave doesn't come with all the plugins (look for SasLite and you'll see it's missing). Download the 7.5c update and install it in a separate directory then copy the plugins and lscripts over your existing ones - this should give you a full set - you can then uninstall the 7.5c update and scan all the plugins back into LightWave.

Oh, and BTW - when you install the VT[3] software it calls LightWave "VT" but it is 7.5c (as you can see in the program title bar and "about" box) - dunno why they didn't change that.

youngjgy
03-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks so much. I was getting frustrated thinking there was something wrong. I like everything working before I really get into it. Thanks again.

mkiii
03-11-2004, 07:04 PM
You might have mentioned that you had a video toaster - then i wouldn't have bothered trying to reply. There is also a specific forum for VT that you probably should have posted your problem in.

youngjgy
03-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Note I'm a newbie! I just typed in Lightwave forum. If I had known there was a forum specific to VT I would have used it. I just picked LW - General Support. Geez