PDA

View Full Version : LW 7 Question

swolfe
03-15-2003, 12:59 PM
My parents run a video business and they use LW7 for logos etc... I have this problem as do they I play around with it and when I use smooth shift If I want to smooth shift some polys up 1/2m on the y in the upper right screen where the model can be previewed you can see the yellow highlighted polygon you just worked on higher up where it should be but you can't see solid model its like you can see through it.

I have tried flipping polygons and this does not work also if I make say a disk 18m tall 6m round it will look fine but when I move it around to view it from all sides i can look inside it from the bottom if I flip the polys it messes up the rest of the model so that is not it. It's as if lw is not making solids. I'm pretty new to LW but have used some other lower end modeling programs, I like LW and the many features in it but it does not seem to act right for me any help would be great

thanks alot:cool:

Exxtreme
03-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Did you try making the polys double sided?

swolfe
03-15-2003, 06:50 PM
No I did not try that, but I extruded the ploygons and everything turned out just like I wanted it to so I guess if you play around enough you will get it. I'm pretty new to this so I will keep playing. Thanks alot for the advice though

John Fornasar
03-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Try your Smooth Shift again, this time, pull your mouse in both directions to see what happens. If you pull against the surface normal (the side you can see) you will be creating your letters with the polys facing inward. Once you play with it a bit, you'll get the feel of it.

Something to keep in mind when working in Modeler - if you don't select any polys, they are all selected. If you "f" flip without selecting, the polys facing the wrong way will be fixed, but the polys that were "good" will now flip the wrong way.

You can select just the "bad" polys and flip 'em, or, if you already have the "good" polys highlighted, hit your "-" key to hide them, then flip.

rabid pitbull
03-17-2003, 10:22 AM
also makes sure to try different selection modes, and definetly upgrade to 7.5!