PDA

View Full Version : How to make a plane?

foody678
03-09-2004, 03:18 PM
im sorry but i lost the guide manual for my Lightwave so does anyone know how to make a plane? Since im a noob at Lightwave and im taking tutorials and a lot of them start with make a plane... Thanks!

mattclary
03-09-2004, 04:15 PM
I would just use the box tool and not give it a height. ;)

themaxx
03-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by foody678
im sorry but i lost the guide manual for my Lightwave so does anyone know how to make a plane? Since im a noob at Lightwave and im taking tutorials and a lot of them start with make a plane... Thanks!

here's a tip for not blowing your pirate cover: don't tell people you lost the manual. ;)

mkiii
03-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Especially when a proper install includes the manual in the docs folder.

ruud
03-10-2004, 02:41 AM
or. you could just do this:

set four points in the top view by pressing (+)

select them clockwise (if it isn't selected already)

and press "p" on your keyboard

and tadaaaaa!!! here's your plane.

(why... WHY!!! am I telling this!!!!)

Greetz, and have fun on learning LW

Ruuter

WCameron
03-10-2004, 07:49 AM
or make a tube. lasso the front and bevel it a few times into a rounded nose. then do the same to the back end only bevel it to a pointed sort of end.

make two cuts near each other near the nose using the Knife tool or Bandsaw. and one cut near the rear.
Select a polygon on each side between the first two cuts near the nose, and extrude them out to the sides. then select one polygon on the top between the third cut and the last section of the tail (or more than one polygon even) and Extrude it upward.

tada. Plane.

- Will.
heh

themaxx
03-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by WCameron
or make a tube. lasso the front and bevel it a few times into a rounded nose. then do the same to the back end only bevel it to a pointed sort of end.

make two cuts near each other near the nose using the Knife tool or Bandsaw. and one cut near the rear.
Select a polygon on each side between the first two cuts near the nose, and extrude them out to the sides. then select one polygon on the top between the third cut and the last section of the tail (or more than one polygon even) and Extrude it upward.

tada. Plane.

- Will.
heh

HAhAHAHaAHhhahaAHAhahaHAhahahahaAH!

foody678
03-10-2004, 03:38 PM
lol woops i didn't know there was a manual.. yes now i do see the online docs :) thanks but seriously i did lose the manual its squished sumwhere in ma piles of manuals

pauland
03-11-2004, 01:15 AM
I've never thought of the LW manual being squished before.

Paul

ruud
03-11-2004, 10:52 AM
so you wanna tell me you lost all your 3 manuals at once!!??

ruuter:confused:

mattclary
03-11-2004, 10:55 AM

LOL!

I'm a dumb*ss. :o

ruud
03-11-2004, 10:57 AM
doh! that sounded like a tricky question... let the boy answer..

themaxx
03-11-2004, 11:06 AM
you're completely new to lightwave but you've already lost the manual?

Capt Lightwave
03-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Let's put 2 and 2 together shall we?

im sorry but i lost the guide manual for my Lightwave

ok?

ol woops i didn't know there was a manual..

uhum?! That's ONE way of loosing it..

thanks but seriously i did lose the manual

The manual that you didn't know existed?

its squished sumwhere in ma piles of manuals

I thought you said.....nah....must be my mind playing tricks on me again....sigh

ruud
03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
are....... you......... suggesting...... this 'guy'.... is a 'illegal' LW user???

you woudn't.... now... would you...?

;)

Capt Lightwave
03-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Nah, my mind must be playing tricks with you too.....don't worry, it'll pass.

Weetos
03-11-2004, 05:24 PM
take a look at the Objects/Aviation directory : there are several examples from which you could learn ... but you might have lost you cd too...

You could try the cool_plane.p plugin (Plugins/Model) it allows you to model every plane you can think of in two clicks (it requires your dongle to be plugged in, so be sure it's not squished somewhere in one of your piles of manuals...)

seriously, what do you think people can reply to such a post? No, there is no button that gives a ready-to-render plane scene, so go RTM and practice

@WCameron : that's the shortest plane tut I've ever seen ;)

Capt Lightwave
03-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Weetos ... but you might have lost you cd too...[/B]

LOL: Haaaa, haaa, haa, haa......you're killing me here .....stop it, please......bwaaahaaa, haaa, haaa

The CD is probably squished in a pile of other CD's.....

ruud
03-12-2004, 10:50 AM
wow, does LW come on a cd with you people, I only got a floppy with a fat manual

and there was somekind of cubic form... printer-extention with it...
but! I tossed it away, I didn't need an extra 5 cm for my LPT port...

but what's that funny thing you say of is a dongle?? :D

pauland
03-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ruud
but what's that funny thing you say of is a dongle?? :D

I might say 'I have a receipt therefore I dongle', whereas for others it is more a pure philosophical concept. The question is, would they be modelling on a different plane altogether?

shockwave
03-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Why not download a free model of one the same way you got the program.:eek:

Heimhenge
03-18-2004, 10:06 PM
I heard you could DL a 3D model of the manual from warez. Don't know if the pages can actually be turned though.

caesar
03-19-2004, 07:12 AM
Man, Im brazilian, so I thought this guy was asking about AIRplane....its more disgusting than - How I make a box?
:eek:

mattclary
03-19-2004, 07:31 AM
LOL! No doubt! Find a tutorial on "How to make a box" then delete everything but the top. Look in the manual for instructions on deleting stuff.... ;)

Leo Chen
10-31-2015, 09:02 PM
or. you could just do this:

set four points in the top view by pressing (+)

select them clockwise (if it isn't selected already)

and press "p" on your keyboard

and tadaaaaa!!! here's your plane.

(why... WHY!!! am I telling this!!!!)

Greetz, and have fun on learning LW

Ruuter

Thank you,ruud.

PS: using P for making plane (make polygon).

Leo Chen
10-31-2015, 09:07 PM
lol woops i didn't know there was a manual..

me too. :)

Waves of light
11-01-2015, 02:44 AM
lol woops i didn't know there was a manual.. yes now i do see the online docs :) thanks but seriously i did lose the manual its squished sumwhere in ma piles of manuals

Well I can tell you this, of all the manuals you can 'squish' the printed version of Lightwave isn't one of them! Jezzz I remember Lightwave 8s ring binder manual, you could kill a small animal with that thing.

If you require the manual for your current version, then press F1 (I believe that works for demo versions, full retail versions and hey, who knows, cracked illegal versions #winkwinknudgenudgepayforitandbelegal )

pinkmouse
11-01-2015, 03:08 AM
Wow, way to drag a thread back from the dead chaps! :)

Waves of light
11-01-2015, 03:32 AM
Lol. Only just read the original timestamp.. I came here through 'new posts' part of the site. Well hopefully he's figured out how to do so a plane and moved up to a paid version of 2015 so he can get 2016 for $295.

probiner
11-01-2015, 04:34 AM
That was a fun read. A dedicated Plane tool wouldn't be bad.

Cheers

Kevbarnes
11-01-2015, 07:27 AM
That was a fun read. A dedicated Plane tool wouldn't be bad.Cheers

Here you go ............. LigtWave can do anything.

Install script, set button in modeler or Layout - instant plane.

(Excuse my subD modeling, I hacked it together with the Knife tool)

Credit: Made with 'CreateLscript32'

djwaterman
11-01-2015, 08:22 AM
You can already create a plane in Layout under the geometry tab. However this question was immediately answered by the first member to respond to the OP, then everyone unloaded on the poor guy because he may not have had a legal version of Lightwave. I think this behavior might've scared him away a long time ago, probably a C4D, Max or Maya user now and getting all the work.

Kevbarnes
11-01-2015, 03:50 PM
You can already create a plane in Layout under the geometry tab.

Not That kind of Plane - this kind.

Note: To generate in Layout, make a null first.

shrox
11-01-2015, 04:12 PM
2004, I'll bet the OP is old enough to drive now.

prometheus
11-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Not That kind of Plane - this kind.

Haha..neat, not sure it would be very useful though, how did you compile it? I reckon you simply recorded the model addition session in layout with ls commander? and saved to a script?

is a bird..no..is it a plane...no, is it an aeroplane...yes.

Michael

jeric_synergy
11-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Credit: Made with 'CreateLscript32'
Lscript created by Iain_r, takes a mesh, turns it into an Lscript. For creating arbitrary primitives. You want a button that makes a teapot? This lets you.

prometheus
11-01-2015, 07:39 PM

I think one could improve/fix that script.... and have it making a null in the script, so you wonīt have to add a null in layout first.
Where is the script by the way...canīt find it in the lightwave plugin database?

ruud
11-02-2015, 12:51 AM
more than 10 years now, I didn't even know that I ever replied to this thread.... I suggest to keep this thread alive, there may be a lot of other new Lightwavers who want to know how to model a plane... There still isn't a good tutorial on YouTube... shame

iain_r
11-02-2015, 03:36 AM
prometheus - what script are you looking for

prometheus
11-02-2015, 10:06 AM
prometheus - what script are you looking for

Hi Iain_r
create lscript32? or what jeric mentioned..if that is the same, making an lscript of any mesh to invoke as a button to create it...as mentioned in the posts above.

iain_r
11-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Contains the 32 and 64 bit versions of the plugin, these can handle subd information. I've also included the original lscript that I based the plugins on, it can't handle subd as that information isn't available to lscript. These plugins were written for version 9.6.1, they're basic and should work in later versions.

If you look in C:\LightWave64Bit11.6.3\support\plugins\scripts\LS cript\utility\generic or where you have installed your version of lightwave you can see how layout calls the creation of cubes, planes etc.

Regards

Iain

prometheus
11-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Thanks iain_r will test them soon.