PDA

View Full Version : UV Edit Pro hoses my surfaces

Carm3D
03-09-2004, 12:23 PM
I am using UV Edit Pro for the first time.. So far I can see why it's free.. But then again maybe I'm "doing it wrong."

I have a character.. The left side polygons has the surface name "Terra_Left", and the right side has the surface name "Terra_Right."

There are some other surface names such as eyeball, etc.

I began by hiding all polys except for her head. I used the texture guide to make a cyllindrical UV Map of her head polygons.

Then I went into UV Edit Pro with the intention of cleaning up the UV Map. I chose her newly-created head UV map. I messed around with it.. moved some polygons around (in the left UV window), then I clicked "Save" to update the UV Map.

When I closed UV Edit Pro, I noticed weirdness. Random polygons on her head were assigned to various surface names (such as eyeball), but Terra_Left and Terra_Right surfaces were gone... Obliterated. Why would UV Edit Pro even mess with surfaces?

Has this happened to anyone else? Much appreciated!

Carm3D
03-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Here is a screen-cap of what her head looked like after UV Edit Pro "saved."

Carm3D
03-09-2004, 12:34 PM
The polygons that were hidden were un-effected by UV Edit Pro's ravages. I suppose it's possible to hide ALL polygons before running UV Edit Pro as a safety measure.

Kvaalen
03-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Carm3D
Why would UV Edit Pro even mess with surfaces?

I haven't yet had the time to play with my copy, but from reading the doc it says that you can reasign surfaces to polygons from within UVEditPro. I suppose that is why it "messes" with the surfaces. Maybe you did something wrong there?

mattclary
03-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Bogus! :eek:

blabberlicious
03-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Yup - exactly same thing happened to me.

I was really pushing it, though.

I cylindrically mapped a head - Killed the UVs on the crown,
re-mapped them as Planer from above,

then...

Selected the Inner Nostril surface, mapped that Planer from the side....

Added that to the Map (drool)

Sized it all up & snapped the 'cap' UV onto the top of the head....

then I retuned to Modeller.....

Trashed! Like your example

Did the whole thing again (took about 2 mins)

Worked Fine.

Some sort of bug..

BUT HEY!

UVing like that before was a major pain - to be able to thunder through a head like that - selecting, mapping, re-mapping assigning Image maps is a dream come true!

Look MA, no welding!

I 'll try to reproduce that bug - expect a speed fix from NT.

I'm sure they be up for it.

:-)

Axis3d
03-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Is there any English documentation available for UV Edit Pro? The stuff in the download has very little English in it.

Carm3D
03-09-2004, 06:59 PM
> I 'll try to reproduce that bug - expect a speed fix from NT.

Don't be TOO sure. I suspect UV Edit Pro is still is D-Storm's property. The fix may be up to them.

Carm3D
03-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Oh this is weak.. If you hide all the polygons, their surfaces won't get scrambled, but the UV save won't take effect either!!

:mad:

I guess I have to bite the bullet and just know that all surfaces will have to be re-assigned after using UV Edit Pro. I will save surfaces to part names as a safety net. Then I can assign the part names to surfaces to repair them. Oy.

Carm3D
03-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Whew.. I give up. I just tried working with UV Edit Pro again. Not only is it painfully slow, but when I saved the changes and went back to modeler, the surfaces were scrambled (which I expected), but the UV texture I was working on and several other UV maps disappeared. Unwelding points is a small price to pay for speed and stability.

I appreciate the gesture, NewTek, but I can't use this.

BeeVee
03-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Axis3d
Is there any English documentation available for UV Edit Pro? The stuff in the download has very little English in it.

The page you downloaded UV Edit Pro from has a link to an English PDF about 40 pages long...

B

blabberlicious
03-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Carm3D
Whew.. welding points is a small price to pay for speed and stability.

I appreciate the gesture, NewTek, but I can't use this.

Don't give up my friend!

I DO agree in part about the speed issue.

I'm on a mac (Panther) and it takes ages for to open & then place the UV map you are working onto the model.

But I found that with MDLR and large imagemaps, too.

I think I read that LW8 with speed this up (?)

Saving session from inside the UVeP is a little hit and miss. About 80 rapid clicks and it finally agrees it's been saved. Not ideal - but liveable. It consistently asks me if I want to save edits when I return to MDLR.

UVP lets you resurface and assign/create UV maps (nice) - but has problems reassigning the newly created maps when you return to MDLR.

But this is a problem I've encountered with other 3rd party apps.

Bodypaint does the same thing. You have to assign the image maps to UV - as the app can't alter the mapping type on the fly.

This suggests SDK a fault/ lack of access to those parameters. I guess.

But I these are small niggles - when it saves me hours of unwelding, clumsy un-interactive morph mapping, etc.

I tried repeatedly to reproduce the bug last night - without success (?)

It did happpen to me once - so I share your concern. But I used to the LW 'experience' on a mac - flakey Hub, freezing interface, no Graph editor, etc, so big like this don't put me off.

I really like the texture wire-frame mode, and generally, it's well thought out and vast improvement over native editing.

Perhaps the sudden influx of new users might get them to revisit it - as it looks like it was last updated some time back.

Feel free to send me your model, and I'll try to reproduce the bug consistently.

Best Wishes

Carm3D
03-10-2004, 03:20 AM
I worked with it thrice and it screwed up each time. I went to do the UVs in Modeler and moving about was so much faster.

unwelding is a small price to pay...

When Lightwave 8 is out, it will have texture view with wireframe and it will greatly help.

> About 80 rapid clicks and it finally agrees it's been saved. Not ideal - but liveable

Not for me.. I hit the save button, the * disappeared indicating it was saved, but when I got back to modeler, the UV Map disappeared, and 3 others.

> Feel free to send me your model, and I'll try to reproduce the bug consistently.

Sorry can't do that.. Thanks tho. I'll do fine without UV Edit Pro. Lightwave is even more Pro.

KeithJ
03-12-2004, 05:41 PM
I've had this problem once I think.

The bigest problem for me is that its so crashy. Right click in the object window seems to make it crash often as well as a variety of otherthings including ...most irritatingly when I close the window to go back into Mod. thus losing all my changes. I've taken to closing and saving every few changes. Its way too buggy to be called PRO! It should be:

UV Edit DOH!

Keith

danilo
03-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Same problems here.I'm giving up.Garbage!!!!!
danilo