PDA

View Full Version : Digital S... again.

PeteF
03-09-2004, 07:43 AM
I've submitted my request for purchase. While the bean counters are molling over this. I have some technical questions:

How do I bring this into the toaster, that is, what else should I use other than uncompressed? What's better than DV25, but not all memory intensive as RTV? Reason is, a typicall job could take 3 hours of video, and I have only enough room for 2.

Are you digital S users going RTV, or is there a DV50 or equivalent capture?

I'm sure I could log the clips and bring in just what I need, however lets say I need all three hours (which happens).
Is there something I should know about using the BR-D750 deck?

I know these sound dumb, but I like some advice as to how my editing world is going to change from purely DV25 to digital S, and avoid common mistakes and pitfalls.

Oops, forgot to ask. How is 16:9 accomplished using the DY-700U, what lens could you recommend?

Thanks.

ArthurDent
03-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi PeteF:

I work with Bradl and can concur that we like the quality of the D9s, as well as the reliablity of the gear - very rugged, but have not really liked the handling of the machine itself. In my experience, it just doesn't feel right in a linear environment, which can be important if you have to use it every day. But that can be a cost issue. We have used the decks as an inexpensive link form the digital suite to an analog suites and as a way to preserve quality through our closed-captioning process w/o buying a truckload of digi-beta's.

We do everything in RTV in the toaster and mostly use our digi's for capture and printing, but do use the D9s on occasion. On long projects we have also used PicVideo's MJEPG and it has worked well for us.

We have a BR-D750U and I am not a fan. I complained to a tech on the NAB floor that it was sloppy with dropped frames and miscues and he just said, "well...yeah, its not a very good machine." (!) So I would recommend the best unit you can afford. But that was in a linear room and I was mastering on that machine. I haven't done that since. Brad confirmed that we have never had this problem in capture or printing from the VT3.

I have little experience with DV so I can't really comment on that and I don't know about the lens.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in on the discussion.

PeteF
03-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Maybe I'll hold back on that deck and find something else. Then again, I've read on the net others having similiar problems with their S decks dropping frames, fixed the issues by having both the deck and cam matched or sync'd by JVC. It appears that the tracking on the seperate units can be off enough to cause this issue? (Perhaps, when I get this cam, I should send it off to JVC for checking/service anyway).

Then again, I could purchase a used beta deck and master to that format via the toaster (unless I need the S deck in order bring in a quality signal from the cam?) Anyway, it seems 16:9 is also an issue for us, preserving the longevity of our programs.

It's always something... I still have a day or two to fiquer this out.
If I wasn't paying off Xmas, I'd buy it for myself. The more I read up on the camera, the more I like it (despite it's a dying format).

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Pete

RomainR
03-10-2004, 06:28 PM
I've never had to use my 750 deck in a linear way, but I use it day in and day out with VT[3].

I've had no problems whatsoever with dropped frames nor with mastering and digitizing.

I didn't have the cash to get the SDI or DV in/out option on it, so we go from and to the deck with analog component.

One thing I can recommend for good longevity is getting it serviced every two to three months by a good tech. We have a super great tech out here in Montreal for JVC stuff. They keep my D-9 gear in tip top shape. Been using it for the past 5-6 years and their still ticking like new.

Always have a cleaning tape handy as well.

The only complaint I have for the deck is that, man it's a loud MF.
And the DY 700U, well it's drum spin so fast that it makes a tiny weeny but audible humming noise. I've heard many a user complain about that on different model's.

Just my 2.

RomainR
03-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Also when capturing stuff into VT[3] I use mainly DV Type 2, when I know I'm not going to go crazy on special effects or heavy color correction, or multiple compositing passes.

And when I do need to work heavily on the image manipulation then I capture as RTV.

bradl
03-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Pete

You could use the D-9 all day with VT and never drop a frame. The dropped frame Arthur mentioned, is a very specific situation. We were using the D-9 BR-D750U as the Record deck in a linear editing setup, i.e. mastering to the deck. Occasionally it would lock up one frame off. It really wasn't the format but the deck. That deck is the cheapest one they made at the time and was not designed to be a mastering deck, but a feeder deck. Beyond that specific deck and the D-9 cameras mentioned in another current thread, we do not have a broad exposure to full JVC line.

Bottom line, the signal is pristine for SD and if the price is right you will not regret it.

PeteF
03-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Cool. Hmmmm, SD Option. Forgot about that one (Damn, three years doing DV25 and now I'm a rooky again).

The particular cam I'm looking at sez only BNC composite output. Oh, these last minute things. I'll have to get the SDI card for the NT, not matter if it's part of the equation. (Marketing manager sez were going to have to reshoot -which I agree).

Is SDI an option for that cam, and if so, still available? I'll have to check into that one. More research...

Thanks again.

kleima
03-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I am just wondering why on earth you would want to buy a DY-700U when you could buy a DV-5000!
Yes, I know that one has a 5:1 DV compression ratio and a color space of 4:1:1, and the other a 3:1 compression ration and a 4:2:2 color space, but that was mostly to accomplish linear layering without degradation. Man, with the VT you edit in uncompressed and the DV footage looks pristine. With the DV5000 you won't find a better dynamic range for the price - 400%. It has 12-bit A/D converter, 24-bit DSP! Double tension tape transport accepts full & mini size cassettes (up to 276 minute record time). Professional DV record/play, DVCAM Playback. Ultra sensitive f:13 @ 2000lux, 0.4 lux (100% video);
63dB S/N camera, locked audio, plus a built in color LCD monitor.
Slap on a DR-DV5000 and you have hard disk recording with 8 sec retro loop, timelapse, and NO MORE DIGITIZING!
DV footage is as good or better than Beta SP. If you NEED DIGI-Beta quality, wait and surpass it with HDTV! (NAB in only weeks away!) But don't buy outdated equipment! (I could see the Digital-S deck, but NOT the camera!)
- My 2 cents, FWIW

PS Forgot to mention - it's cheaper, and lighter!

sbrandt
03-28-2004, 11:45 PM
RomainR

Hmmm... From the looks of things on your website it doesn't look to me like "It's hard to be French" !!!

Can you fix me up with Marie-Helene ???
She makes my toes wiggle.

Forget about Digital S...

RomainR
03-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Hey Scott,

sorry to break your heart but Marie-Helene is coupled up with Jason.

They bailled out on the project. The only one that stayed is Josephine.

We've put the project on hold for a bit.:mad: