PDA

View Full Version : what does that mean ?

Hervé
03-09-2004, 02:15 AM
from the Worley site

"# You have some idle CPU time. You can load up your old scene from a few days ago and give it some extra (unneeded but welcome) polish."

could you pause the render where you left it, and continue later.... ?

aaah well we'll see in a few days...

T-Light
03-09-2004, 02:28 AM
I believe you can old man, hopefully, we'll find out for definet some time today. :cool:

js33
03-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Herve,

Yes that's what it means. You can pause the render at any time you want and then reopen the scene and let it render some more to refine what was previously rendered.

Pretty sweet. Gives a whole new meaning to preview renders. Because they can be previews now and a little later they can be the final.

I have to render previews all the time so it means a lot less wasted time rerendering at a higher quality.

Cheers,
JS

Hervé
03-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Thanks Holly Lw'ers, that is fantastic !:D :D

hrgiger
03-09-2004, 03:02 AM
My question is, does it stop somewhere. Surely if it keeps going infinitely, it must get to a point where the render starts to look crappy again. Kind of like using the highest setting of AA in Lightwave, you can AA too much and things start to look soft and blurry.

js33
03-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Yeah there must be a way to stop it at a certain point when you start the render. I noticed a button in one of the last videos showing radiosity that said "F Prime Render" but he never clicked on that button to open that panel.

Cheers,
JS

hrgiger
03-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Well, it must have a number input of how many levels you want it to render at otherwise, sequences wouldn't work. So for example, telling it to render every frame at Level 19 and then move onto the next frame.

Hervé
03-09-2004, 03:31 AM
what seam to suuukk is that Worley only uses shipping options for seeling first hand Plugs, then You download whatever upgrades are coming, but that's another story...:(

PS. I am sure you can stop it somewhere...

So in fact, does the radiosity settings in the illumination panel of LW still counts ???:confused:

T-Light
03-09-2004, 03:51 AM
"what seam to suuukk is that Worley only uses shipping options for seeling first hand Plugs"

Your'e kidding?:confused:

Hrgiger, didn't you say the other day that you downloaded sasquatch as a first time buyer?

BTW - I don't think radiosity is set in the illuminations panel anymore - the demo showed a master plugins section with seperate settings.

T-Light
03-09-2004, 03:54 AM
Lete me clarify that - I think LW still uses the illumination panel - FPrime uses its own panel.

fxnut
03-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
My question is, does it stop somewhere. Surely if it keeps going infinitely, it must get to a point where the render starts to look crappy again. Kind of like using the highest setting of AA in Lightwave, you can AA too much and things start to look soft and blurry.

Not sure about that. If something is anti-aliased to an 'infinite' degree, it's kinda like doing a complete integration over the pixel of whatever surface(s) that pixel is projected onto. That effectively represents what a digital camera does at each pixel element in the CCD array. So in actual fact, letting something carry on anti-aliasing should in theory make it look like a better representation of your surface (providing that the anti-aliasing algorithm is correct). But point taken, I'd agree it's not always a good idea to look too closely at CG surfaces.

For me, a greater concern is rendering animations with FPrime. How do you ensure that any two frames are anti-aliased to the same degree? You can't use time as a guide, since one frame might well take a lot longer to render than another anyway if it has a lot more going on in it. Would you see any glitches in the final animation as a result of images not being AA'd consistently? I'm wondering if FPrime keeps some sort of record embedded in the image file as to how anti-aliased a particular image is. It'd be good if it then had an option to go back and AA all frames in a sequence to a similar standard, starting with the lowest quality render first.

fxnut
03-09-2004, 04:03 AM
Well, it must have a number input of how many levels you want it to render at otherwise, sequences wouldn't work. So for example, telling it to render every frame at Level 19 and then move onto the next frame.

ahem, yep! Took too long to post mine.:p

DarkLight
03-09-2004, 04:52 AM
From reading worley's web site, it sounds to me like it renders each frame in the animation simultaneously. You can then preview the entire animation at whatever stage of the render it’s at.

Hervé
03-09-2004, 05:27 AM
that would make sense...:)

fxnut
03-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Mmmmm, yup, that's a clever idea.

badllarma
03-09-2004, 08:48 AM

yup from what I have seen ;) or let it just get better and better :D

theo
03-09-2004, 09:06 AM
You guys appear to be priming for the primetime with FPrime, but just be fine and commit no crime like this rhyme- because, in time, FPrime will no longer be sublime-

T-Light
03-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks for that Theo,

A good point and well made.

Qexit
03-09-2004, 04:42 PM
To answer a few of the questions on this thread :

FPrime does not/cannot read the Radiosity settings on LWs in-built panel. You have to enter a set manually on FPrimes own dedicated Radiosity Panel accessed from a Master Plugin. Likewise, if you play around with them to find the best setting (not many variables here) you then have to manually duplicate these settings back into LWs radiosity panel. The two panels do not talk to each other.

In the FPrime window, the image keeps getting better until you add something, move something, or change a setting in Layout or you hit the Refresh button in FPrime. With FPrime Render, you can set a maximum 'quality' level or just leave it to run indefinitely. i.e. until you are happy with the results. There is also an equalize option which brings all frames up to the same level.

FPrime Render does not render all the frames simultaneously. It goes through them one at a time and then goes back through and adds the next level of refinement...and adds the next level of refinement...until you say stop. It couldn't possibly render all of the frames simultaneously, you could never have enough RAM for that with long sequences.

Along with the actual image file, FPrime generates two associated files for each frame. One contains the raw, uncompressed image data, the other all the iteration/rendering data for the frame at that stage. Provided these extra files are not deleted (possible to do after you stop/pause a render), you can go back at some point in the future and continue the render from the point/quality level you left off. So no time spent getting back to the quality level you have already reached once.

Anything else ?

smh
03-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Does FPrime render caustics?

Netvudu
03-09-2004, 05:06 PM
yes, and how old is Steve Worley? :D

smh
03-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Is this our Steve Worley or someone else?

http://www.scd.ucar.edu/info/awards/01/steve.jpg

Qexit
03-09-2004, 05:15 PM
smh: no it does not render caustics at present. Also, I don;t know if that is 'our' Steve Worley' as I've never met him.

Netvudu: I don't know, though I did ask :-)

ddho1981
03-09-2004, 05:20 PM
assuming that these issues get resolved (shaders, caustics, etc . . . ) will the update be free? or will those of us who rushed headlong with excitement have to pay for an update?

Qexit
03-09-2004, 05:24 PM
On past records, the updates will probably be free. The major upgrades of Sasquatch and G2 were given out free, so I imagine the same will be true of FPrime.....but that is only my educated guess :-))

T-Light
03-09-2004, 05:25 PM
No caustics?

All this time I've been looking at FPrime and watching the vids I can't say that question ever crossed my mind.

Anyone know why?

T-Light
03-09-2004, 05:29 PM
OK, I was thinking along the lines of the SDK but of course...

It's for the same reason that radiosity had to be hardwired.

I get it,

I'm tired,

I'm off.

Psyhke
03-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by smh
Is this our Steve Worley or someone else?

That must be a different Steve.:)

Found this on Newtek's site:

http://www.newtek.com/newtek/behind/gallery/GDC-2003/will_steve

theo
03-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Dear forum benefactors,
The essence of the condition of humanity is present with us even in this condensation of reciprocal opinion over a waving light. The never-ending quest for the perfect is a carrot on a string that has goaded, guided and galled man for the eons that stretch behind us. The FPrime binary has fallen victim to the whim-like musings and mutterings of this said conditon by pondering, postulating artisians.

In spite of this ever-present prediliction my kind reader, FPrime shall fall short, much too short as perfection is as elusive as a maiden in a mall. But I am confident in this that $279.00 will most definitely purchase at least a very satisfactory percentage of said perfection, in reflection... the previously said percentage of perfection is probably worth much more than the stated purchase price of $279.00 when one ponders the percentage of perfection we currently own in this particular category of renditory endeavor.

Qexit
03-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Hm...looks like someone has been watching too many reruns of 'Yes, Minister' :D Sir Humphrey anyone ?

theo
03-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Leave me alone Qexit.... I shall pontificate to my hearts content as the age of FPrime dawns as a shimmering lightwave burining through the sordid mist of downtimes, false rendering hopes and miscalculated job completions.

:D

js33
03-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Steve Worley looks like a professor. We shall call him Professor Worley from this day forward. :D

Cheers,
JS

Netvudu
03-09-2004, 07:08 PM
ok.Mmmm...

So in that last photograph we can´t see proton´s right arm, and one of the subfolders for the pic url is tentatively named "behind"...

Argh, the joke is too easy!! :D

smh
03-09-2004, 07:49 PM
http://www.newtek.com/newtek/behind/gallery/albums/GDC-2003/will_steve.jpg

That is indeed Steve Worley - Click Here (http://www.newtek.com/newtek/behind/gallery/GDC-2003/deuce_steve)

js33
03-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Wow Steve is almost as tall as Proton. :D

Cheers,
JS

riki
03-09-2004, 11:45 PM
He look quite young. The dude on the right looks a bit like Jesus :p

Jockomo
03-10-2004, 12:20 AM
No wonder the guy is so smart, he has two heads (even if one is a little smaller than the other)

js33
03-10-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by riki
He look quite young. The dude on the right looks a bit like Jesus :p

Well Jesus is actually Proton. :D

Cheers,
JS

thekho
03-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Wow...he looks so young. He's ROCK!!!