PDA

View Full Version : New Site for selling assets...

Hervé
03-08-2004, 11:16 PM
New site for selling your models and stuff....

www.modelbank.com

Why am I posting that here ?? If you try to sell a model, under software used pop_up list, it appears a line like this

Maya
XSI
Lightwave/Luxology
etc.....

are they going back together...?

Mylenium
03-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Yet another site with overpriced (mostly) crappy low-poly meshes. How boring.

Mylenium

oDDity
03-09-2004, 06:58 AM
I checked out Turbo Squid, and worked out that as a non Yanklander for every $100 worth of stuff I sold there I'd actually end up with £19 in my own currency.
What's the point.

Dodgy
03-09-2004, 08:34 AM
I know.... 50% they take, then another 30% of your 50% to the us government even if both seller and buyer are outside the US....

You end up with 35%.... Bargain!

cresshead
03-09-2004, 10:41 AM
RE:
I checked out Turbo Squid, and worked out that as a non Yanklander for every $100 worth of stuff I sold there I'd actually end up with £19 in my own currency.
What's the point.

what's the point?

here's the point and it's quite sharp so watchout!

turbosquid was set up for people with leftover old models to be sold...that's what i use it for..old projects and modeling sessions where eoiter i have alsready done what i wanted with the model/scene or projects that never got finished...you know stuff left on your hard drive...
well my stuff on t squid [and the stuff up there isn't ANYTHING to shouot about..paid for the lightwave upgrade and has paid for f prime....see..told you it had a sharp point!...and yes i'm in the u.k too....also picked up seom cgi work from turbosquid too...a few thousand dollars worth from canada and usa...that's my point anyway.

if you don't like it don't sign up!

steve g:cool:

Kvaalen
03-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I think ya'll have missed Hervés point. :)

I personnaly would love to see that happen, but I doubt it. I think the site doesn't know 100% what they are talking about (though I could be wrong).

EDIT: Just looked at the site and I think some of the prices are over exagerated. And... isn't this the Beethoven that comes with LightWave? :confused:

http://www.modelbank.com/UI/Product/ShowProductFullInfo.aspx?ProductID=2235

Dodgy
03-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Oh I was looking into it on your recommendation Cress, I just think getting 35% from something you made seems a little pricey... Acting agents only get 10-20 (just what i heard, so don't quote me!) and they do a lot more...

Ideas Unlimited
03-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Just to say that I've got some models on turbosquid and am very happy with the amount that are being sold, 25no. on one model alone, all I will say to any U.K people selling is make sure you get paid through paypal because that way you pay minimal charges. I also have the same model up for sale at model bank for the same period of time and have sold a grand total of ZERO but then they have put the same model up for 900% more, and I'm not kidding you.

Ideas Unlimited
03-09-2004, 12:01 PM
p.s also it has to be said that once the models are on you do nothing just watch the money come in (if you pick the right model).

cresshead
03-09-2004, 01:11 PM
i'm not trying to sell turbosquid as good enough to pay your house every month [i wish...] but seeing as i have "dead models" lying around on my hard drive and turbosquid ask for nothing to host your models and advertise them for you and also deal with credit transactions..plus they are "real big" so anyone looking for a model on the net will most often look at turbosquid in either the first or second hit....
wel..they deserve their 50%...all i have to do is load a model up via their web browser..fill a few details in on the model and set a initial price...they will re price it if the feel it's too low or high...then just wait till my piggy bank gets to a pre determined $250 [which i set..] and then a cheque is issued to me and costs me £4 to bank it in the u.k....

to me it's just another savings account for free...not much but it can take care of little things like F Prime and the upgrade to lightwave 8...which is nice.

and as you'll see i have my details of myself "for hire" freelance on most everymodel's details too..and that's worked for me a few times so far....

well that's my $250 dollars worth of advice!

steve g

cresshead
03-09-2004, 01:26 PM
hey whitestar do you have a website?

steve g

[melton mowbray, leicestershire...u.k]

Ideas Unlimited
03-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi Cresshead unfortunately no, its one of those things that I often think that I must get around to sorting. I hope you don't mind me saying but you would be far better off getting payed by paypal, because you get your funds as and when you sell a model and at hardly no cost, also you can leave the money in there to pay for any internet purchases, no visa card required, by the way you are the first person that I've come across that actually lives near me (Nottingham) I did'nt think there were many of us in this part of the world.

cresshead
03-09-2004, 02:28 PM
yeah true!
and would you believe that one of my jobs is as a sessional lecturer teaching 3dsmax, character studio, lightwave and combustion in people's college nottingham....

BTW just bought f prime....!!!!

Ideas Unlimited
03-09-2004, 02:42 PM
I was looking for some evening classes last year and couldn't find one anywhere, obviously I didn,t look far enough. If you get time see what you think of the following.[URL=http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/188322/Action/FullPreview]

Ideas Unlimited
03-09-2004, 02:44 PM
opp's try this one. http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/188322/Action/FullPreview (http://)

cresshead
03-09-2004, 02:49 PM
nice cars!...and V nice robot!
your work is excellent..i hope you have a job with lightwave.

steve g

Ideas Unlimited
03-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Isn't that what dreams are made of. No I work in a builders merchants in Derby doing but I have tried various avenues to get into freelance work but to no avail I sent some of my objects to a company in London called '3 Blind Mice' full of promises even wanted my work on thier main web site. Still waitinnnnggggg. Maybe its because I've always felt happy modeling but not realy ever got into the animating and FX side.

riki
03-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Just a question for Turbo users. Any tips on what kind of models sell well there?

Ideas Unlimited
03-10-2004, 04:31 AM
Obviously its what’s popular at the time. I did a model of the Aston Martin that was to be used in the newest James Bond film I posted it a month before the film was due out and it turned out to be very popular. Its also a good idea to search for any other models that maybe available, by this I mean that if you decide to model the new Mazda mx8 see if anybody else has already done it and check the quality, its pointless modelling something, (if you are just doing it to sell) if plenty of other people have already done it.

Matt
03-10-2004, 06:52 AM
if you model to sell, set up a paypal account and go it alone!

riki
03-10-2004, 07:02 AM
I just checked out the Turbo Faqs section. The Tax Forms seem like a headache.

Rich
03-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Here is another site that sells models that you might want to check out http://www.3d02.com/home_01.asp
I find their rates quite reasonable.

lonestar1
03-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Dodgy
Oh I was looking into it on your recommendation Cress, I just think getting 35% from something you made seems a little pricey... Acting agents only get 10-20 (just what i heard, so don't quote me!) and they do a lot more...

No, they do a lot less. You're looking at it the wrong way.

If you're an author, you might get a 10-15% royalty on each copy of a book you sell. Your agent gets 10% of that. So, you end up with somewhere between 9 and 15%.

If you're an actor -- and you're a star -- you might get a percentage of the gross from a film. It is unlikely to be as large as 35%.

Compared to the royalties typically earned by writers, artists, actors, inventors, etc., 35% is very, very good.

novadesigns
03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
These sites are doing to the 3D industry the same thing that stick photography sites have done to the photography industry. They flood the market with so many assets (and usually crappy ones) that employers see less and less reason to hire artists!!

If you are a CG artist do yourself a favor and avoid promoting or participating in these sites. By doing so you only hurt yourself and the community.