PDA

View Full Version : UV editor ala Maya 5.0

Andorahms
03-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Please PLEASE!! UV Editor!!

I love Lightwave, but I must say that Maya crushes it when it comes to UV editing. FYI, Lightwave buries Maya as a modeler ;)

The "move and sew uv's" is huge as well as the editor's ease of use.

Perhaps Lightwave already has this feature and I simply have dug enough, but if not, PLEASE take a cue from Alias on this one!

Ando

jin choung
03-08-2004, 04:51 PM
hey ando,

actually, lw's uv editor is every bit as good, if not better than the maya... my only remaining complaint is that their projection gizmo is so ******* buggy and ugly - oh, and that you have to constantly weld/unweld.

to get the functionality of move and sew, use VERTEX SNAP with different selections like polys.... it works really nicely.

luck

jin

Andorahms
03-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the tip....I'll be checking that out!

I've been working in Maya for the past few months, but have determined that this will only be for resume padding purposes!
Maya has a lot of bells and whistles, but when you get down to what really matters.....Modeling and Rendering (IMHO)....Lightwave hands down is the superior package.

In the immortal works of Mr. Flavor Flav: "Don't believe the hype"

jin choung
03-08-2004, 08:15 PM
actually,

i can really really see the benefits of maya. it is a very intelligently designed piece of software and it really is worth the extra money. animation is notably and noticeably superior and rendering is really excellent with mental ray.

in other words, you're not paying more for nothing and it DOES outclass lw in a lot of areas.

i have ZERO disrespect for maya.

BUT as someone who would say that,

having said that, look into vertex snapping, and all the uv map functions that are indeed HIDDEN away in the plugins and interface - you can move two uvs together to the average, you can set value, you can do all kinds of things and it's much faster and readily available to edit in lw (as are most mesh operations).

as good as maya is, maya has zero on lw in modeling polys (as you said) and lw is just as good if not better in editing uvs....

EXCEPT FOR THE WELD/UNWELD THING.

anyway, i just want you to know that uvs are good in lw from the perspective of a maya fan.

jin

Andorahms
03-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Oh, yeah, I agree with you on Maya.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off like I was bashing it....Well, maybe just on the modeler and renderer! However, it certainly is a powerful package.

I have recently aquired the UV Edit pro plugin compliments of Newtek and Lightwave 8. I have for the first time opened it up tonight and WOW!! This is an incredible tool!

Hope you get a chance to use it!

Revanto
03-09-2004, 05:38 PM
I don't understand why you have to unweld ALL the points when working with UV's. It would be nice to be able to select points in a row/s then click "unweld seam" for better UV manipulation. That way, head unwrapping would be easier.

Also, it would be really nice to have 'UV morphs' as well as standard morphs so you don't get crashes when loading an object in Layout the have morphs in them from unweld points manipulations. They would have to be "virtual morphs" that don't actually affect the model directly.

Revanto