PDA

View Full Version : Lights

randysolo
03-08-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm really having fun with LW but there is something I'm puzzled about. Well, more than one thing, but to start with; why do the lights work sometimes and sometimes not? It seems that sometimes I can add an area light and it will light up a table (example) and everything is fine. Other times, I can add an area light and nothing is affect by the light, no matter what I do! Is there a secret to get the lights to always work in every situation? Will 1 setting cause them NOT to work? I'm assuming that any light should also have some kind of an effect even with radiosity. While I'm asking questions, let me know if I need to post separately, - Is there a way to identify polys that need to be flipped easily? I can see them in a sea of polys but I can't put my cursor on them. Thanks for any help, AND any additional help on lighting and rendering would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,

Powersolo

Beamtracer
03-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Have you looked at the Display Preferences in Layout? If not, hit the d key to bring up the panel, where you can set the number of Open GL lights.

This will affect how many lights will be displayed in the Lightwave viewport, but will have no affect on the rendered output.

mlinde
03-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by randysolo
While I'm asking questions, let me know if I need to post separately, - Is there a way to identify polys that need to be flipped easily? I can see them in a sea of polys but I can't put my cursor on them. Thanks for any help, AND any additional help on lighting and rendering would be GREATLY appreciated. If you can see them, select the polys around them, then use the select attched (it's something like that, I'm not at a LW machine right now). That selects all the polys in that group. Now click Align to get them all aligned the same direction. Theoretically align will make all polys face the same direction, and it will be the direction of the majority of polygons in the selection. If that majority was facing the wrong way, Flip them.

randysolo
03-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys,
The "Align" really paid off. I'm not really sure about the lights. I've learned that some questions just can't be answered. You just have to experiment until it hurts! In the past few days I've found some interesting tuts and just going through every inch of the forums if useful as well. I've probably learned more about LW in the past week than I have in the past 4 years. It's finally startn' to jell! But the lights are a different matter.

thanks again,

Rpsolo