PDA

View Full Version : Rendering oddity

foozkeeper
03-08-2004, 01:40 PM
I have a problem with a scene i have been working on lately. The scene is fine unless i have a certain couple layers visible in the scene.

Picture 1 (www.its.caltech.edu/~kathjohn/picture1.jpg)
Picture 2 (www.its.caltech.edu/~kathjohn/picture2.jpg)

There are 7 of those cylinder objects, in a circle. I have replaced the objects with plain cylinders, and it had the same effect. Could anyone provide some insight as to why cylinders arranged that way would cause this kind of error? Thanks.

PolygonWrangler
03-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Frankly, since your scene is pretty abstract, it's kind of hard to tell what the problem is in the first place. Could you be more specific?

Axis3d
03-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure what you are seeing as an error. Are you referring to the shadows that are being cast by the cylinders? If so, these can be controlled by telling lights to be excluded from certain objects, or by telling objects not to cast shadows.

foozkeeper
03-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Picture 3 (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~kathjohn/picture3.jpg)

I'm sorry if I was not clear enough before, but that is the problem I was talking about. When the cylindrical objects are visible, there are vertical lines that appear on the the wall. They do not appear on the first image, when those objects are set to 100% dissolve, and I honestly have no idea why it would cause that.

smoothmove
03-08-2004, 11:43 PM
try making the wall double sided?

foozkeeper
03-09-2004, 02:52 AM
I have fixed the problem, with some help. It was a lighting problem. I'm not all that expirienced with layout, and didn't think to tell certain lights to exclude those objects. Thanks for your time.