PDA

View Full Version : Back porch with shower

wailupe2000
03-08-2004, 10:21 AM
This is my second scene so far. I would really appreciate any help making it look more real.

Tiger
03-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Well...I think you should resize the bench and the shower. The bench is to big compared to the door. The shower then should be taller....but the light is very nice! I would prefer to used a hdri-image using Image world to get a more 3-d feeling to it, or a volumetric light as it can add a great deal of atmostphere to the scene. I hope this helped a little bit.

Tiger.

steevo
03-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Hmm ... how about giving each beam in the ceiling a slightly different colour? Also, the wall is too even -- if you add a subtle variation in the wall colour, it'll look a little better.

Steve

itos
03-08-2004, 05:50 PM
i think that you could work more on the lighting of the scene. maybe you can use HDRI and radiosity settings to make it look more real and not CG like. is very cool, keep up the good work and post another picture if you change the illumination.

rbnz
03-08-2004, 07:38 PM
definately give the wall some more variation, perhaps the base of it needs to be smoother, at the moment its quite sterile where it meets the floor.

give your overhead beams a bump map , and maybe just the slightest bounding on the edges, sub patch if you must. I dont think they need any colour work done to them.

Dillon
03-08-2004, 09:26 PM
When it comes to lighting - always turn your ambient intensity off! And light from there.

Its looking good.

Dillon

veljko
03-09-2004, 01:22 AM
hi-
what i would suggest is changing the colour map for the wood beams- the repetative nature of this one is clearly visable+ make the wood beams have more geomtry beside a box shape- make it bend a bit, have splinters or something like that-

hope this helpes!

wailupe2000
03-09-2004, 02:28 AM
Hey thanks for the help. I'll get right on those changes and post the results.

wailupe2000
03-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Hey thanks for the help. I'll get right on those changes and post the results.

wailupe2000
03-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Here is an updated picture. Thanks for the advice Veljko. I think I went a little overboard on the wood textures though.... Does anyone know of any good tutorials for weight mapping? Because I would really like to be able to "paint" different textures.

Dillon
03-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Thats looking a lot better!

Another suggestion - the bump map on the walls seems to be a little large ... is that procedural or image mapped? In any case, change the scale of that so its much smaller than what it is. Also, throw in some fill lights to fill in the blackness of the shadows now that you turned off ambient intensity. Or try our the radiosity.

Its look good dude. Nice work.

Dillon

jman66
03-09-2004, 12:27 PM
mess up those beams, take big chunks of wood out of em, round/chamfer the edges at different radiuses along the span, make some of em a bit crooked.... wood is a natural material, and even crafted using power tools and such, there are ususally always visual flaws in the material. Hand-worked wood is ususally even worse, but that's what really gives it life and feeling... the imperfections..... putting some in could add a bunch of character to the scene

itos
03-09-2004, 12:36 PM
is looking better now, i agree that the bump maps are too high, remember to keep the ambient intensity to 0. In global illumination turn on radiosity in monte carlo, try a render (it will take MUCH more time to render) but it wiill look more realistic, especially in the part that the wall cross with the floor. also you could simulate radiosity if it takes too long putting spotlight in the floor with its color to reflect the color of the surface, try a render with radiosity and then post it to see how is it. after this try a render with radiosiy and shading noise tur on, this may enhance your scene and put out the grainy look. hope that this helps

------

[email protected]

etobiason
03-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Photographic textures will go a long way to adding realism to your objects.

wailupe2000
03-10-2004, 04:00 AM
Hey guys heres another update. I worked on the wood and the textures of the wall. Tell me what you think. Oh, I didn't get enough free processor time to test the radiosity setting, because it takes forever!

wailupe2000
03-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Another update.

itos
03-10-2004, 10:47 PM
now it looks better, especially the wood textures, maybe you could try with radiosity.

wailupe2000
03-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the help. Ill try the radiosity when I get enough free time with my computer. Do you know about how long I could expect this type of render to take? Because whenever I try it it seems to take forever. So long that I begin to think my computer has simply stalled out.

itos
03-10-2004, 11:20 PM
well it depends of the computer, maybe for this image not that long, you could make the radiosity interpolated instead of monte carlos and increase the minimum space and try to render again. that will decrease the rendering time, experiment with the values till you get a faster render and a nice image. when you render it post it to take a look, i think that no more than 30 min it will take. maybe less, which pc do you have?