PDA

View Full Version : Overview of 5 popular 3d packages

retinajoy
03-08-2004, 04:04 AM
Saw this link on cgtalk. Thought this might be interesting to some of you. Lightwave is on the final page.

http://www.insidecg.com/feature.php?id=136&page=1

ingo
03-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the tip, interesting reading....although mentioned as Lightwaves strong point : Nothing is really hidden from the user, does he really talk about Lightwave ? ;)

Jure
03-08-2004, 11:24 AM
I belive they saved the best for last, that's why it's on last page :).

Lamont
03-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ingo
Thanks for the tip, interesting reading....although mentioned as Lightwaves strong point : Nothing is really hidden from the user, does he really talk about Lightwave ? ;) Bah, I said that because it's there in plain English.

I never said the interface was pretty. I said it's not hidden. :)

jamesl
03-08-2004, 12:24 PM
"The community is kind of strange, I would go out and say as with any program there are rabid loyalist who will defend Lightwave until the bitter end. Kind of geeky a little bit ."

:eek:

Lamont
03-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I said it. :)

Lamont
03-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Here is the whole paragraph:

What is Lightwaves's developer, tech, & community support like?

Lightwaves developer community is top notch. You can find plug-ins and scripts (Many, many free ones!!) that do just about anything you need. Flay.com is the leader in gathering all things Lightwave in one location. Free Tech Support is going the way of the dinosaurs. I am happy that NewTek offers free support to registered users. NewTek will help you out any way possible. The team is nice, and make you feel at home. Not really corporate, more like a bunch of tech-hippies. The community is kind of strange, I would go out and say as with any program there are rabid loyalist who will defend Lightwave until the bitter end. Kind of geeky a little bit . All in all, I find the Lightwave community the most supportive of new users than any other out there.

Nemoid
03-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Happy to be a kind of geeky fan of Lightwave.
and thanx for the cool article, wich say many truths
also about other packages. :)

theo
03-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Hmmm... read the review but found the literary ambiance of it to be a bit strange and very lacking of sufficient substance. Unfortunately for the wave of light the fellow seemed, to me anyways, to be grappling for words to explain our "rabid" app as a lot of what he said practically could apply to any of the software suites he reviewed. Not that it was a negative review just an odd review. I think I would have preferred NOT to have the spectral wave of light included in such a way with this type of review round-up.

Just thinking in higher decibels.

Lamont
03-08-2004, 06:49 PM
It was written without any real American phraseology so that the guy sitting at his comp in India, to the kid in school down in Brazil can read through it without much impediment.

On top of that, I wasn't trying to transend any spectral planes with my chirography. Short and sweet was my assignment.

Just thinking in higher decibels? More like a dolphin? I kid!! I kid!!

But thanks for reading it ^_^!!

Jake
03-08-2004, 07:54 PM
I met some Newtek guys at the GDC a couple years ago. Philip Nelson actually came up and introduced himself right out of the blue. I'm sad that he's no longer with the company. Cool guy.

Anyway, they didn't strike me as tech-hippies. More like hard-drinking nonconformists. Does the tech-hippy thing have to do with Proton's deliberate and successful Jesus-look, circa Halloween 2003?

theo
03-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Lamont,

Weeelll... I did not realize you were the one that wrote the review. I was not putting the pieces together earlier in the post.
If I had known you wrote the piece I would have tempered my opinion a bit- not because I am unsure of myself but rather as a form of respect as you did a fine review... but I did come away just more or less scratching my brain jacket due to the odd way you conveyed your perspective of the waving light. Your writing appeared a bit fatigued not in the physical sense but in an abstract sense.

And in all fairness what can one write that is too much different about 6 really good 3D software packages?

Best regards- keep up the reviewing!