PDA

View Full Version : Audio Scrub Issue on OSX G4's

kevman3d
03-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Heres something that I wonder if anybody here in the Mac forum has an answer too.

Loading Audio into the scene in LW7.5 on either a G4 (or my office eMac) running OSX 10.2.5 - Intermittently it sometimes decides to slow the audio down (so it can be scrubbed in realtime, but its playing at the wrong rate) - Once this happens, the audio 'sticks' at this slower speed. Only clearing and reloading the audio helps.

Also, making a preview tends to break the Audio playback if you cancel the preview part way through. Free Preview doesn't fix it - You have to clear audio and reload it. And even then its not guaranteed to work.

One tutor has mangled audio files to lowly 8Khz, Mono AIFF's and claims it 'helps' but no, the same issues occur.

I did find that some scrubbing issues are related to the slow performance of the machines (800Mhz G4, 512Mb ram and GeForce2) and can be 'improved' through some modification to Layout's display options, or modification to models to 'simplify' them (and lower the processing requirement).

...But the intermittent slow downs, or audio that stops working for no reason are the main issues. Any Mac users have a reason or solution to this? No, its not a single machine either - We have 20+ G4's here in the classroom, and its the same on all of them (They are all same spec's).

Anyone?

toby
03-08-2004, 12:56 AM
Hi Kevman!

Audio in LW has been goofy as long as I can remember - on the PC too, this last month I've had a project, in XP, where I've been clearing and reloading the audio just like you mentioned... "hope it's fixed in [8]"

kevman3d
03-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Audio in LW has been goofy as long as I can remember - on the PC too, this last month I've had a project, in XP, where I've been clearing and reloading the audio just like you mentioned...

Hmmm, I have never had problems with Audio at all on a PC with LightWave. And we're talking in production environment (ie. a using it a LOT)... However that said, it is true that these problems do occur on low-specced PC's, specially ones with slow CPU's. (like my old Celeron 466).

Ever since I've worked with Macs, I've never had any *LUCK* with Audio - And its painful when I have to try and teach students how to do character animation, and they can't because the audio doesn't scrub properly on the Mac they are using - So we end up creating work-arounds to compensate (which is messy).

I do know the performance of the Mac's is one issue - Less Polys, lower subd's, etc just improve audio performance. Though I am talking like lowly 800Mhz G4's here... I dunno too much about speccing Mac's and whether that is a 'slow' Mac specification?

Interestingly, I started playing the scene, then closed Layout straight after hitting the play button. When the 'Are you sure you wish to exit' dialog appeared, suddenly the crappy audio playback improved back to normal until the audio had finished! I guess its the OpenGL redraws that are a problem here... Maybe in 8 with XTools code this will change?

Its why I asked - I was hoping some Mac guru's out there might have some kind of answer like 'Oh yes, that's an OSX driver issue' or 'You need to simply install a new version of Quicktime'. :D

Ah well... Thanks for the response anyway.

toby
03-08-2004, 01:55 AM
It certainly needs some work - whenever I loaded an alternate preview, it's audio would go to pure (loud) static, and then it would still be static after leaving the preview too - time to reload -

It does seem like display speed / power has something to do with it.

It's not set up very well to begin with, scrubbing 1 frame gives you about 7 frames of audio, and the start frame setting is in seconds - I think .04 was about one frame?

claw
03-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Yeah, LW's audio scrubbing really stinks! Just one more reason why character animation is a pain on mac lw. It should be fast and smooth like Mayas audio scrubbing!

toby
03-08-2004, 02:22 PM
I wasn't going to mention the M word but it's true -

I did post this as a feature request btw