PDA

View Full Version : Blender & LW

kevin3d
03-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Is there anyone out there who has experience with both LW & Blender? There is a thread in the Blender forum that comments on the similarity of the UI of these 2 apps.

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10122

I was wondering what this community's take on that was.

Skonk
03-15-2003, 06:36 AM
Its been a long time since i tried blender, 2 or 3 years atleast and i used it for all of 20 mins on linux and it seemed to me that the way blender works and the way lightwave works are completly different. I may be wrong tho :)

James..

Titus
03-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Yes, Blender has some trivial similarities with Lightwave, but also has with Maya and you know how close LW and Maya are. I think the programmer (Ton) just tried to follow paradigms while creating his own.

Blender is different enough to Lightwave. First, to use Blender you need to memorize shurtcuts because you don't have menus (at least that was a few versions ago, now a few menus are appearing). In lightwave you can use shurtcuts to speed workflow but is not mandatory. You don't have a hotbox (spacebar) and you can't convert any window to any other window. Imagine having the floating graph editor window opened, the you can change it to a top view window with just a click. You can't do it with LW. The similarities are more in the sense of cut'n'paste with C and V keys, rotate the perspective view with alt-LMB or even zoom in/out with Ctrl-Alt-LMB, but that's all. Not to mention Blender doesn't have an undo button!, yes you can revert to some earlier state, but this is not undo.

Titus
03-15-2003, 10:02 AM
This is Blender:

http://titus.deathfall.com/varios/blenderScreen.gif

Epita
03-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Wha, blender has no separate prog for making stuff in! (knew that allready i used blender for 1 mo, and couldnt do anything went stright to LW again)

Epita

Titus
03-15-2003, 05:05 PM
LOL. This is the normal path for everybody starting with Blender: Download the software, install and watch the monitor for an hour, then uninstall it. There is 10% chance you will re-install it again within the next month, now with the manual in your hand you can start doing things.:D

Elmar Moelzer
03-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Ugh, this is why I hate icons!!
Even MAX looks more appealing than Blender...
CU
Elmar

kevman3d
03-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Titus
LOL. This is the normal path for everybody starting with Blender: Download the software, install and watch the monitor for an hour, then uninstall it.

Hahahaha!! That's so true for many demos and applications I've tried in the past! Most times its a case of 'I could better use this time doing something in LW instead!' :D

lord
03-16-2003, 12:29 AM
I did exactly that with blender myself, installed, ran, expressed quizzicle, baffled confusion, happily jumped to the file menu and quit.

Personally I like icons, where appropriate, but that interface just looks like an archaic mess. Blenders about right and that's no creamy thick-shake.

Mind you if I didn't have a choice might've given it more time.