PDA

View Full Version : LW preview 2 AVI, how?

CB_3D
03-07-2004, 02:14 PM
I remember there was a conversion utilty for this, but i donīt remember the name. :(

Anyone?

Thx

ngrava
03-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Did you already know that you can save previews as .AVI or .MOV directly from LightWave?

-=GB=-

CB_3D
03-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Wahhh, guess what? After working with LW for years i just found out. Stupid me, i never had the need to find it, LOL.

And i had the wrong (not installed) codec selected, so i thought it was just like in the 3.5days.

Thx anyway for the tip!

Previewing away....;)

CB_3D
03-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Now another stupid question. Anyone remember how we used to do the faked volumetric lightcones before real volumelights were available?

Yep, deadline glooming....

Aegis
03-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Yep - take a cone, make it 100% luminous / 0% diffuse, double-sided and give it 100% transparency and make it falloff to say 60% along the length of the cone - you can add some fractal noise too to give the impression of smoke drifting through it...

Oh, and you'll need transparent edges too...

http://www.agmorgan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FakeVolume.gif

cresshead
03-07-2004, 04:32 PM
this "olde world style" of volumetric lights will come in handy with f prime no doubt...

cool work a round for some shortcomings on f prime.

maybe start a new thread on workarounds for f rpime's renderer..

Aegis
03-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I was still using 5.0 on the Amiga when 7 came out so I got pretty adept at workarounds :D

CB_3D
03-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Same here. I am used to go the minimal route to get the max effect to hold rendertimes reasonably low. Right now i am setting up around 300 lights that have to have volume. rendertimes canīt go above a minute:(

CB_3D
03-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Oh, and many thx for the explanation. I know thereīs somewhere a demoscene of this on the LW CD, but i really didnīt have the time to look for it. Now itīs rendering away over night.:)

Brett H.
03-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Aegis
Yep - take a cone, make it 100% luminous / 0% diffuse, double-sided and give it 100% transparency and make it falloff to say 60% along the length of the cone - you can add some fractal noise too to give the impression of smoke drifting through it...

Oh, and you'll need transparent edges too...

http://www.agmorgan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FakeVolume.gif
I'm really interested in this method, but it's not working right for me. Any chance of a more specific explanation or a scene file maybe? :)

Brett

T-Light
03-08-2004, 07:18 PM
"I'm really interested in this method, but it's not working right for me".

They usually take a fair bit of tweaking to give the right effect, What's going on with yours?

ps take a look at the blade runner scenes in the LW example folders for a quick start. Oh, and best not forget the underwater craft scenes - sorry can't remember what they're called, I'd look, but it's late and I'm off to bed.

night all.

Aegis
03-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi Brett, I'm just about to head off to work but I'll write you up a little tut' when I get home and/or post the scene for you.

Regards,

Andy.

Brett H.
03-09-2004, 04:30 PM
I'd appreciate that, thanks. I love these old-school techniques. I could work for hours on a LW volumetric light and not get the effect your getting in your example.

Brett

Aegis
03-09-2004, 11:13 PM
OK, I've got a few minutes so here's a quick tut'

1) Create a cone in Modeler similar to the one in the animation - to keep things simple make it 2 meters long centered on the Y axis. Make sure there's no top or bottom polys on the cone.

2) Bring it into Layout and give it a white, 200% luminous / 0% diffuse surface - make it double sided too.

3) Make it 100% transparent and hit the "T" button for transparency. Select the "Grid" procedural and make the line thickness 1.0 (this gives you a solid colour/value). Set the Texture Value to 55% (you may need to tweak this). Next change the Y position for the Grid procedural to 1.0m (should be the top of your cone) and the Y falloff to 50% (100% = complete falloff in 1m - 50% = 2 meters - the length of your cone).

4) Do a test render - you should get a smooth falloff from 55% transparent at the top to 100% at the bottom - go back to the transparency texture editor.

5) Add an additive procedural with Turbulence - Give it a contrast setting of around 10-20%. Reduce the texture size to something around 250mm x 250mm x 250mm - you can animate this over time using the "E" buttons for position. Vary the intensity of this effect with the Layer Opacity (around 25% seems pretty good). Turn "World Coordinates" on if you want to be able to pan the light cone through it.

6) On the Shaders tab, add "Edge Transparency" and set it to "Transparent" and 1.0 - do a test render.

7) It should now look pretty similar to mine - you can enhance the effect (as I have) by adding glow and Soft Filter - if you carefully align a spotlight with falloff it'll even cast light :) (make sure you turn off cast and receive shadows for the cone).

You can get an example scene and object here (http://www.agmorgan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FakeVolumetrics.zip).

Have fun!

Brett H.
03-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Aegis,
Thank you very much for that, I see how it works now. Why the hell am I rendering out LW volumetric lights that in most cases look like crap without tons of tweaking when techniques like this are available??? Just my own stupidity I guess, as in "well, the built-in volumetric lights must be there for a reason, you must not be able to get decent results any other way". Man, was I wrong.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Brett

dwburman
03-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Hey Brett,
I've been thinking about selling my copy of "the Lightwave Book" that has a bunch of those old-school techniques in it. It's a compilation of articles from the old Lightwave Pro magazine. This is pre-LW[6] and goes back to the Amiga days. You know, when you only had 8MB of RAM and a 30MHz CPU so you HAD to be efficient.

Awww, maybe I'll keep it, or maybe sell it with some other old books. At any rate you can find it used on Amazon [click here] (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879304553/qid=1078964329/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/104-7115942-5080765?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) for less than $10.