PDA

View Full Version : FPrime and Shave

TyVole
03-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Someone at Shave Yahoo group just made interesting post about using FPrime with Shave's polygonal hair feature. I've found this feature, while nice, to be far too expensive render-wise. But now . . .

So, for all of you that have Shave dongles lying in some drawer, this may be the reason to dust it off -- at least, until FPrime can do Sas.

Also, it was good to see Chuck make a few posts recently in the group (unrelated to FPrime.) Maybe this means a future for Shave & LW. We can at least hope.

Qexit
03-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Can you actually use Shave with LW7.5c ? I still have my Shave dongle gathering dust somewhere around the place, so it would be interesting to see if it works with FPrime. Now if I can just track down the last version of the software that I downloaded from Joe Alter's site .........

TyVole
03-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Yes, you can -- but not without problems.

But the beauty of using polygonal hair is that you can avoid them. What you do is save the hair as .obj files from Shave's external program. There's a good tutorial on this at cgtalk (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=66386&highlight=shave).

The problem with this method is that you can easily generate enormous amounts of polygons. But with FPrime, the problem may just in fact be moot.

jevinstudios
03-07-2004, 05:46 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Shave will not be ported for future versions of LW; Joe Alter seems pretty adamant about that on the Shave forums (I use Shave for Maya and love it!). It seems that your best bet for hair and fur for LW is to purchase the full Sasquatch, as Worley seems to be favored by the NT development team.

TyVole
03-07-2004, 05:55 PM
But if you export the hair as polygons from Shave's external program, it does not matter if Shave is ported to 8 (if it indeed needs to be ported.)

In LW, you just need to import the hair .obj files. And since you are only dealing with polygons, they will render with FPrime.

jds580s
03-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks for posting this info. My shave dongle has quite a bit of dust, and it's a shame too. Great hair and dynamics. I for one would love to see a working release for 8, though only Joe knows the chances of that happening.