PDA

View Full Version : FPrime: Avoiding SDK limitations

smh
03-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi,

I've seen a lot of recent posts about FPrime and LW's SDK limitations. Sadly many of them happen to be complaints or appeals for a better SDK. FPrimers will need a constructive thread, full of tips on how to avoid those limitations. My idea is to compile a problem/solution list.

Here's an example:

HyperSmooth: Bump Smoothing feature

-Provides a nice way to make oceans surfaces, and bumpy glasswork by smoothing LW's procedural textures.

Suggested solution:

Bake the procedural texture to a grayscale UV map. Blur the resulting image map in LW or Photoshop. You can can even use multiple layers of the image in LW's bump channel. Each one may have a different size, rotation and level of blur.

Now let's use the approach above to find solutions and workaround to other limitations like:

G2:
-Multiple Specularity control feature.
-Nonlinear Ray Reflections: A remedy for LW's usually luminous reflections.

I'll grow this list as I think of more entries, and I hope you folks can help.

Many Thanks,

-SMH

cresshead
03-07-2004, 04:38 PM
same goes for volume lights..use the "olde way" before lightwave had volume lighting...see scenes such as "blade" and "off world"
in your space folder use those to make volume lights when you start to use f prime later this week.

steve g

novadesigns
03-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Or do what a lot of us do and composite those effects. :)

Dodgy
03-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I always thought most houses would render those effects as separate passes anyway and then comp them for more control.

js33
03-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by novadesigns
Or do what a lot of us do and composite those effects. :)

Novadesigns,

I am curious to see what kind of impact F Prime will have on a facility such as DNA. I'm sure they have plans to purchase F Prime.

Cheers,
JS

Yog
03-08-2004, 03:52 AM
Before G2 if I had a scene with both direct lights and GI, I would render in two passes (one for each) and composite in Photoshop so I could achieve the best balance.

Unfortunately whilst the results are OK, they aren't as good/accurate as rendering it in one pass, which G2 makes so easy.
The difference is that when rendering GI in it's own pass it doesn't take into account of the bounced light from the direct lights. A possibility is to add in a dim direct light to get this bounce effect, but then you are back to square one with a number of test renders to get the balance right.
It will be interesting to see if getting this balance right is as quick in F-Prime as it is in G2.