PDA

View Full Version : FPrime Buyers Poll

TyVole
03-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Just curious.

mattclary
03-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Cr*p! If it had been available, I would have bought it after the first demo!

js33
03-06-2004, 03:15 PM
So far it's unanimous. :D

I wouldn't have assumed anything else.

Cheers,
JS

siproductions
03-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Yep, I just got news that I have a new project, So I am buying as soon as it's out. Should be a lot of fun. :D

3DBob
03-06-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm gonna buy two copies straight up - so you can add another to the top vote.

3DBob

riki
03-06-2004, 07:59 PM
I'd buy it immediately, but it'll take me awhile to payoff the LW8 upgrade.

js33
03-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Ok who is the lone holdout?

Show yourself and explain why you are not partaking in the greatest advancement in rendering since the dawn of rendering?

I'm just curious to know the reason.

Well even most of the holdouts say they will buy it eventually but this is just too useful to holdback on for me.

Cheers,
JS

riki
03-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Ali the Lebanese guy from my corner store's not gonna buy it :D.

hrgiger
03-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Someone is probably just being the lone voter just because they could. Anyone who says they would never buy FPrime has obviously not seen what it can do. Or does not actually use LIghtwave.

js33
03-07-2004, 12:39 AM
True or does not have a pulse. :D

Cheers,
JS

Hervé
03-07-2004, 12:47 AM
I'll buy it right away....!!!!!! gimme gimme....:D

archiea
03-07-2004, 01:39 AM
You forgot to post "fawk yeah!" as one of the choices......

js33
03-07-2004, 01:47 AM
Man I would like to peek at Worley's bank balance now and then a week from now. :D I bet it will grow fast and BIG. Steve deserves every penny.

He has really cut to the chase and gave every Lightwaver what they desperately needed whether they realize it or not.

Cheers,
JS

phil lawson
03-07-2004, 01:57 AM
The moment the worley.com site recovers from the number of users logged on, on tuesday, I'll buy it. :D

cresshead
03-07-2004, 05:18 AM
with a little luck in that the worley site isn't swamped..i'll get it tuesday...then i'll be ordering a new pc to replace my 700mhz PIII with a 3 gig P4 to really make use of f prime.

steve g

riki
03-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Just checking the videos now, it looks like an essential buy, shame about shaders and volumetrics, I hope Newtek and Worely can work that out. Also I wonder how long the special deal will last. The price is quite resonable given the current exchange rates.

CB_3D
03-07-2004, 07:14 AM
I would have already bought it if available:p

Hey, will this be an immediate download after paying online? I think having read something about this.

hrgiger
03-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Well, if it's the same as Sasquatch, I bought it and was able to download it immediately. I can't remember if I had to wait though until the manual arrived with the serial number on it. But I think they sent me it via email so I think I was up running right away. Sorry, that sounds kind of vague but it's been over a year and a half ago.

Skritter
03-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by phil lawson
The moment the worley.com site recovers from the number of users logged on, on tuesday, I'll buy it. :D

He probly had more burnout with the video downloads than he will have the plugin if its anything like his other plugs.

They only usually weigh in a few hundred kb - while the vids were 10-15 mb

Just get in line boys:p :p ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :)

T-Light
03-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Well, we've just forked out for a new kitchen, and the girlfriends gone mad with all the accessories. I'm as broke as broke can be.

Still, when I found out the other day that they were to start selling this week, I didn't hesitate to pop Granny up on Ebay.

I'm in.

cagey5
03-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Damn .. Just when I thought it was a cut and dried decision. What's the Ebay link to your granny? :)

mgreenway
03-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Wait to play? I don't get it!
Lets play now!

pauland
03-08-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Skritter
He probly had more burnout with the video downloads than he will have the plugin if its anything like his other plugs.

They only usually weigh in a few hundred kb - while the vids were 10-15 mb

Just get in line boys:p :p ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :)

I don't think Worley has ever made the base product downloadable, it's always shipped by post. Possibly something to do with being unable to download green army men... ;-)

Paul

Ade
03-08-2004, 02:10 AM
It is overwhelming on the number of ppl waiting for shader support! hope worley is able to sort sonmthinbg out and get these ppl as buyers to!

I am buying FPrime cause I definetely need and speed help in rendering scenen whicg lw8 didnt address.
Shader support is definetely important for me but ill support worley by buying it now.

colkai
03-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Well,
Having seen what it can do, even with it's limitations, it is a no-brainer for me.

The amount of time it is going to save when texturing and lighting a scene is unreal. Don't foget either, as someone pointed out to me, Steve likes his programs to be really solid and cool, so it wouldn't be that far fetched to assume the released version will be enhanced before Mr Worley considers it "final".

Can I really afford it, no, but that ain't gonna stop me buying it.

One big downside - I can see myself tweaking for hours, just because I can - it's soo much fun!

Hervé
03-08-2004, 03:22 AM
now imagine tweaking Sas realtime, sooo much fun either... he he:D ;)

js33
03-08-2004, 04:51 AM
That will come in time.

I hope this is an electronic download as I want to be able to use it as soon as I buy it (I know we are all so spoiled these days).

Then Steve can send out the hardcopies later along with the green armymen or whatever little toys he includes.

Cheers,
JS

T-Light
03-08-2004, 05:12 AM
"Damn .. Just when I thought it was a cut and dried decision. What's the Ebay link to your granny?"

Ah, sorry cagey5, Granny was wrapped and packed for shipping last Saturday. However, the neighbours have a granny/grandad combo package up for grabs. I'll keep you posted.

On another note.
I thought all of Worleys plugins were downloadable?

Hervé
03-08-2004, 06:19 AM
whoa ! a combo sounds good.... they like to be pet by the fireplace...:D :D

Hervé
03-08-2004, 06:25 AM
At what time is the sale starting ? I'd say Monday LA time zone at midnight, the very first second of Tuesday !! that would give about 3:00 pm Wednesday in Europe.... I am counting every hour.... starting..... NOW !:D ;)

tapsnap
03-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Wow, you guys are always so eager to folk over your money. Didn't you learn your lesson 8 months ago when you pre-ordered Lightwave 8. Did any of you benefit from doing that then? Has anyone actually seen an animation rendered out on this thing yet? Aren't you a bit curious to see if there are problems with artifacts and rolling or shimmering textures? Fast rendered still images is one thing, a rendered animation is another.

Hervé
03-08-2004, 06:39 AM
Nope, we just believe in God.... and I guess Worley is One Damn 3D God !! and look Sas, what he promises always come true, no?

(BTW, I did not pre order 8...);)

ddho1981
03-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by tapsnap
Wow, you guys are always so eager to folk over your money. Didn't you learn your lesson 8 months ago when you pre-ordered Lightwave 8. Did any of you benefit from doing that then? Has anyone actually seen an animation rendered out on this thing yet? Aren't you a bit curious to see if there are problems with artifacts and rolling or shimmering textures? Fast rendered still images is one thing, a rendered animation is another.

well, i've seen enough that applies to my work that i know it will be a worthwhile investment--remember that not everyone here does animations (though we'd like to). all my work is stills with complex models and lighting situations . . . he's got my money no problem.

colkai
03-08-2004, 07:18 AM
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe! ;)

badllarma
03-08-2004, 09:22 AM

From what I have seen your worries are unfounded :D

Lightwolf
03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Wow, you guys are always so eager to folk over your money. Didn't you learn your lesson 8 months ago when you pre-ordered Lightwave 8.
Well, I didn't preorder :)

Aren't you a bit curious to see if there are problems with artifacts and rolling or shimmering textures?
If you're technically minded, have a look at "procedural texturing and modelling", there's a couple of chapters by yours truly Steve Worley in there. That guy definetely knows how to filter textures properly (...unlike the LW renderer, but I've feature requested that to be fixaed a couple of times already).
I just wonder ho FPrime handles really huge renders (i.e. beyond 10.000 x 10.000 pixels).
Cheers,
Mike - who wants three copies :)

Hervé
03-08-2004, 09:50 AM
hey Colkaî, what did you see...?

mattbolton
03-08-2004, 09:59 AM
The lack of shader support was a big show-stopper for me. :(
But, I think perhaps that it was not well explained what that meant. When I hear "shader", I was not thinking only of the "Shaders" tab in the surface editor, but of all the other "shaders" (procedurals) accessible from the "Texture Editor" as well. Perhaps a little more claification on that issue would persuade those of us who voted "when shader support is available." If it refers only to the shaders added through the "Shaders" tab, I only regularly use DarkTree there and then I already bake it to an image before doing final renderings anyway.

Netvudu
03-08-2004, 10:11 AM
the very first demo and the worms demo showed procedurals being used.

Psyhke
03-08-2004, 02:37 PM
I have IFW textures too, and I would assume that the new IFW procedurals that are found within the regular LW procedural drop downs would work fine with FPrime. But there are also some IFW texture that are used at Shaders (as in applied via the shaders tab) that I assume will not work with FPrime. That's what I would guess, at least.

cresshead
03-08-2004, 03:03 PM
after tomorrow we'll need a new poll....."bought it"....

counting down!:cool:

colkai
03-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Hervé
hey Colkaî, what did you see...?

Not sure if I'm allowed to say! ;)
Suffice to say - I was thinking it would be a good purchase, now I'm cursing every time I load Layout 'cause I ain't got it yet. Not long now!

BTW, yeah, it does have limitations, but I tell ya, for texturing and lighting - holy time-saver Batman! :D

Damn, I'm stoked!

riki
03-08-2004, 03:16 PM
I wonder how long the special deal will last?

js33
03-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Plus this is just the beginning for F Prime. Steve is giving us 85-90% of Lightwave features right now and the rest will come pretty soon.
I predict by Siggraph we will have 99% if not 100% of features of Lightwaves renderer.

Cheers,
JS

wacom
03-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by js33
Ok who is the lone holdout?

Show yourself and explain why you are not partaking in the greatest advancement in rendering since the dawn of rendering?

I'm just curious to know the reason.

Well even most of the holdouts say they will buy it eventually but this is just too useful to holdback on for me.

Cheers,
JS

I just don't have the money right now. As stupid as it seems I just don't. But I'm going to pinch my red cents 'till I can. I don't think he should sell it for less than he is though (even though I'd like it). That's my reason pure and simple.

If the deadlines I was working with needed the speed up then I'd buy it in a single beat of my tiny heart. I think anyone who makes even a small part of their living off of LW would be stupid NOT to buy this. Hell even I'm stupid not to just charge it!

If I could put 150 bucks down to insure I'd get the intro price I'd do that ASAP too...

js33
03-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Just pull out that plastic like the rest of us. :D

Cheers,
JS

Qexit
03-08-2004, 05:32 PM
But, I think perhaps that it was not well explained what that meant. When I hear "shader", I was not thinking only of the "Shaders" tab in the surface editor, but of all the other "shaders" (procedurals) accessible from the "Texture Editor" as well. Perhaps a little more claification on that issue would persuade those of us who voted "when shader support is available." If it refers only to the shaders added through the "Shaders" tab,

To clarify then, since you asked nicely :) The only Shaders that are inaccessible are ones that you place in the Shaders Tab. Procedurals that are accessed through the Texture Editor are all there for the taking and using :D

You can therefore make use of IFW2 procedurals and some DarkTree textures through there Simbiont plugin (FREE !!)

Happy now ?

:D

mattbolton
03-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Yes :D
Much more likely to get it soon :)

riki
03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Edit: Deleted duh I replied to the wrong thread :(

hrgiger
03-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by js33
Just pull out that plastic like the rest of us. :D

Cheers,
JS

Yeah....I'm going against my better judgement and pulling out the plastic as well. I doubt once this intro offer is over, we won't see that price again soon. Heck if they get the SDK limitations resolved it might even go up a bit more so I'm going to have to snag it at $279. I have some architectural projects I've been wanting to finish but when the renders got to be many hours long, I abandonded them. But now with FPrime supporting radiosity with multi-bounce, I'm so there. F#ck shaders.

riki
03-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Great exchange rates + Discount Price + Taxable Deduction = Great reason to buy now :D

In the past with the old exchange rate I'd be paying around AU$700 (approx) but now with all of the above it's more like AU$280. To good an offer to pass up.

Muad'dib
03-08-2004, 08:42 PM
The exchange rate up north must be different to mine down south riki ;) must be the Taxable Deduction you're hoping on to bring it down to that price ... still a great offer none the less.

TSpyrison
03-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Here its only a little over an hour till Tuesday. (yea, I know.. gonna have to wait till the west cost wakes up.. ugh)

I talked my boss into buying it for me...

im all ready..

Just waiting...

ugh. The waiting...

I do have a theory that the big FPrime frenzy has let Proton slack up on the lightwave 8 videos.. Coincidence?? Hmm..

riki
03-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Muad'dib
The exchange rate up north must be different to mine down south riki ;) must be the Taxable Deduction you're hoping on to bring it down to that price ... still a great offer none the less.

Art one point we were around the .48cent mark now it's up around .76c which makes a big difference.

petermark
03-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Breakfast time on Tuesday... waiting for the splash.

If Worley is eating cereal while everyone stresses, I'll be mad! :mad:

riki
03-09-2004, 07:19 AM
Well it's offically Wed 10th here, tuesday has come an gone :)

mattclary
03-09-2004, 07:31 AM
We should have a poll to see what time it goes up, or if it will even actually go up today....

MorituriMax
03-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by petermark
Breakfast time on Tuesday... waiting for the splash.

If Worley is eating cereal while everyone stresses, I'll be mad! :mad:
That's messed up.. grin..

TSpyrison
03-09-2004, 07:43 AM
I wonder if there will be a download, or will we have to wait for a CD to be shipped..

xeno3d
03-09-2004, 08:05 AM
I would assume it will be downloadable and a manual shipped to us along with all the cool little toys Worley usualy sends :D

TSpyrison
03-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Im thinking its 7:00 in California now..
Wonder how long it will take for them to get to work, get set up and open up the floodgates...

CB_3D
03-09-2004, 08:11 AM
I am certainly hoping for a download. I have 2 days to meet a deadline and am already cutting down on AA and MB:p .

Hmm, wednesday already....Sigh.

Hervé
03-09-2004, 08:46 AM
7:53 am, maybe in 7 min.:D

xeno3d
03-09-2004, 08:48 AM
I think worley opens at 9AM PST :)

Hervé
03-09-2004, 08:54 AM
maybe it'll start at 9;oo am, but I am sure he's already at his office (the laboratory)..... BIG ($) day for him:D ;)

Hervé
03-09-2004, 08:57 AM
8:04 in LA... am I right...

xeno3d
03-09-2004, 08:58 AM
oh.. I bet he is there :)

badllarma
03-09-2004, 09:15 AM
yup I bet he's there with the FTP button ready to send the pages to the web site :D

TSpyrison
03-09-2004, 09:23 AM
I hope he's got extra people to take orders this morning..

and extra phone lines

Hervé
03-09-2004, 09:29 AM
try to guess how many orders in the first hour....:D

CB_3D
03-09-2004, 09:32 AM

petermark
03-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Hey guys, be sure that you post a review ASAP here on the forum once you download it! I really don't have much money and shouldn't buy Fprime... but if I see juicy reviews that I probably will buy it! :)

I'm especially interested in its Sequence rendering.

Hervé
03-09-2004, 09:46 AM
7 more min.:D

Steve McRae
03-09-2004, 09:49 AM
he is probably at the dealership ordering his new car . . .

Hervé
03-09-2004, 09:58 AM
I am going nuts..... meanwhile , let's open that Bordeaux vine .....

badllarma
03-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by atomman
he is probably at the dealership ordering his new car . . .
I'd be looking at a new house myself.....oh and power boat :D

I bet he's on the bank managers Christmas List this year just here the conversation

"Steve what product did you actually release today! you bank account looks like it's calculating the next national lottery prize" :D

Good for him thats all I can say :)

colkai
03-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
I am going nuts..... meanwhile , let's open that Bordeaux vine .....

I'm a Tempranillo kind guy myself ;)