PDA

View Full Version : Meta Resolution???

jaxtone
03-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi!

I wonder why these metaedges looks so jagged? I just made a bunch in modeler and then imported into Layout and put the Subdivision Order" to last.

When I try to make this ring of metaedges larger the all become stiff and jagged.

When trying to increase the Metaball Resolution to larger than 22 Layout crashes after telling that it cant render at this stage and the Resolution is back to 3 again?

What am I doing wrong here?

http://www.salmins.com/images/Metaring1.jpg

PS I already posted this in tips and tricks but it seems like no one in there had a clue of how to solve this problem.

Axis3d
03-06-2004, 11:33 AM
I have gotten similar results with metaballs / metaedges in the past. That's why I don't use them. Instead, I use Hypervoxels. They render smoothly (if that's what you're after) and are a bit more predictable. Plus, you have control over size variation, texturing, etc.

jaxtone
03-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Youre damn right that Hypervoxels are softer and easier to control. However since I am a lazy bastard and wanted to save time I thought these metaballs were an option. But if you got more experience than me with unpredictable results... I go for Hypervoxels again... damn they are so slow.

J

Axis3d
03-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately, Newtek never addressed the problems with MetaEdges / MetaBalls. Actually, the image that I attached above rendered very quickly, in well under a minute. It definitely depends on how many hypervoxels and especially, how big in the frame they are. Also, if you are ray-tracing the reflections on them or not. But the advantages go beyond what Metaballs can do. Lets say you wanted a blobby creature in the shape of a Triceratops. You would have to hand place all of those metaballs in modeler. But with hypervoxels, you can just call up the Triceratops object in modeler, kill the polygons, save this as a different object. In layout, go into the hypervoxels interface, activate the object of the Triceratops (which is just points), and you will get blobs wherever there are points.

jaxtone
03-07-2004, 01:14 AM
Hi!

Yeah youre right, and yes I have used Hypervoxels earlier. But since this was my first attempt with Meta I just wondered if it was possible to do it right.

However, if the Metaballs gives so bad results, why are they integrated into LWs options at all? I mean what are they good for? Just some thoughts...

J

Axis3d
03-07-2004, 05:05 PM
J

In the past, when all the 3D software companies were having a pissing match, they were trying to top each others features. One company would come out with lens flares, then another one had to also. I think it was Softimage that had this kind of Metaball-type feature and I think Newtek thought they needed to come out with something similar. It was rushed to market, but never really finished enough. It worked enough so that Newtek could claim that their software had it too. Not enough users really took to it so I think they gave up refinement of it. Oh, well, at least they replaced it with hypervoxels.

Kevin
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/axis3d

jaxtone
03-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi Kev!

About the extra features the companies used to add on each new product just to catch up with competitors made me suspicious years ago... Must say I was kind of laughing when you reminded me about those days...

And it wasnt just softs... As I also am a musician / songwriter / artist I especially remember the soundcards in where the producer tried to establish almost every fantastic extra thing they could come up with... almost anything except blowjobs.

But hey, since those cards had so many conflicts and errors because of to many ingrediences I would never ever even thought of having sex with a card like that anyway :)

J