PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Rail Bevel question

Graham Nichols
03-06-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm starting to model a bottle of hand cleanser. Rail Bevel seemed (to me) to be a good choice to commence the basic shape. So, I created a profile with an open curve on one layer, and created a rounded-corner box (flat) on another layer. When switching to the Rail Bevel tool with the profile layer in the backgound the box does extrude upward, but there are no insets generated according to the profile. The extruded shape does have sections which correspond to the points in the profile curve though.

My questions are:

a) What stupid thing(s) am I doing wrong that are causing this?

b) Is Rail Bevel a good choice for my intended model?

<Let the pointing and laughing begin> :)

Axis3d
03-06-2004, 11:04 AM
I would say that the model lends itself more to SubDivision modeling, at least for the main bottle itself. I started with a box, then hit the 'tab' key to make it a sub-d. Then, using the Knife tool, I made a few cuts along the geometry to start to give it shape. With this method, it can be easier to edit the shape because you don't have so many polygons in the object.

With the method you were using - there is an option in the Box numeric panel to create rounded edges. Use the Radius and Radius Segments settings to give your box rounded edges. This way, you don't need to use the Rail Bevel tool.

The attached screen grab shows the sub-d model approach.

Then next image shows the box with the Radius option.

Axis3d
03-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Here's the other one.

Graham Nichols
03-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Many thanks for your advice Axis3D. I'll take your suggested approach. I'd still like to understand why the rail bevel failed though.

kind regards,

Graham

Axis3d
03-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Graham

When you use Rail Bevel, it needs a polygon shape in the FG layer and a curve in the BG layer. I needed to freeze the curve first by pressing Ctrl+d. If you don't freeze it, then you will not get the shape you expect. When you activate Rail Bevel, it is an interactive process, as you move your mouse around in the perspective view. This is kind of neat because you can get variations of your curve. The only problem is - you will always have a flat top and bottom to your object. It only applies the curve around the perimeter of the polygon. This is why I would model this object using a different method. The attached image shows the BG layer with the curve polygon and the FG layer with the shape.

Kevin

Graham Nichols
03-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks Kevin. I hadn't realised that I needed to freeze the curve.
D'oh!

Currently I have modelled a quarter of the body. When complete, I will mirror this twice to get the finished shape. I'm just figuring out my strategy for adding more geometry to smoothly bridge the gap between the neck and the body. As it's now midnight here, I'll call it quits until tomorrow morning.

cheers,

Graham

cagey5
03-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Graham

Hi. I just thought I'd say hello from a fellow Mancunian. I don't think there's many of us about.

Graham Nichols
03-07-2004, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by cagey5
Graham

Hi. I just thought I'd say hello from a fellow Mancunian. I don't think there's many of us about.

True. Most of us drown in the rain! :D

KeithJ
03-07-2004, 05:34 AM

there may be more than you think!

Keith
Manchester UK

randysolo
03-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Graham

I wanted to see if you have developed this model any further. I rather like the approach from Axis. Were you able to complete the model? Just curious.

thanks,

Randy

Graham Nichols
03-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Not finished it yet Randy, as I had to stop in order to fix two of my Screamernet boxes which died :(

When I finish it in the next few days I'll post it.

best, Graham

Graham Nichols
03-15-2004, 04:13 PM
OK, I've finally got back to my model, and I'm now wondering how to go about joining the neck into the main bottle so that the inside of the bottle can be shown. It's currently solid (see pic).

Should I just commence an olympic bandsawing session and then meld the neck into the body by manually creating polys, or is there a more efficient way please?

randysolo
03-16-2004, 05:36 AM
That's a tough one. Maybe there is a more experienced respose out there (I'd like to hear it too) but if seeing the inside of the bottle is important, you might need to model the body again making the inside hollow. Then boolean the bottle neck to the body. You can also use Rounder (in LW8) to add fillets to the neck/body area. I'm not sure if there is a way to make your existing body hollow with a tool or command. I know a way to do that quickly in another program but not in LW. I'm interested to see if there is a way. I'm learning more every day. Thanks for showing your progress. Good luck.

Randy

Graham Nichols
03-16-2004, 06:12 AM
I'm encouraged by the fact that you describe it as tough Randy, as up until now I've been mentally caning myself for being totally inept.

Right now the body is sub-patched, whilst the neck is not. I need the sharpness of the 'collars' of the neck, so the neck just sits atop the body.

The only way forward, that I can see, is to use a new layer with my current work in the background and superimpose points at the body/neck intersections. Then, delete the existing polys in that area and manually construct new polys taking the new points into consideration. This would allow me to both sub-patch the whole deal and have a hollow bottle. I could then use the Thickener plugin to complete my task.

I could be barking up the wrong tree. If I am I'd really like an experienced modeller to let me know.

Cheers!

Graham

jars
04-26-2004, 02:48 AM
hello. I have the exact same problem that Graham had, but even if i freeze the spline.. the shape in the FG STILL doesn't conform to the BG points! whyyyy??

-dazed and confused-

Silkrooster
04-27-2004, 09:43 PM
What about copying the object to a new layer, reduce the size and shape until it fits inside the bottle. Then do a boolean subtration to create the new hollow insides.