PDA

View Full Version : Daz3d Mimic2 Pro for Lighwave has been released

T-Light
03-06-2004, 03:46 AM
Hello,

Just recieved the e-mail this morning.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Love to use Mimic? We've got some great news for you then, Mimic 2.0 just got better, DAZ has just released a FREE update for both Pro and Standard versions. PLUS...Do you wish you could use it with something other than Poser? Now you can! Announcing DAZ|Mimic 2 Pro for Lightwave! Both the free 2.1 update and the new Lightwave versions bring improved stability in an application now optimized for faster analyzation times. One is free for current Mimic 2.0 users, and the other is on sale for 35% off! Creating animations has never been so easy, whether you use Poser, DAZ|Studio, or Lightwave. Download the free update and then upgrade to the all new Lightwave version of Mimic. But hurry, this offer is only good through March 31st, 2004.

Order DAZ|Mimic 2 Pro for Lightwave Today! >>>

"Finally, a tool that allows me freedom to be creative with lip-syncing my LightWave characters. It's simply amazing how fast I can get my characters talking, and how hassle free it is. This is a must have tool for
every LightWave Character animator! The team at DAZ has really out done themselves."

- William Vaughan
NewTek's LightWave 3D Evangelist"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like it's more to shell out for in March then.

It never rains, it...
:p

3DBob
03-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Does it allow you to import Lightwave models with morph targets - or is just for poser models?

TyVole
03-06-2004, 08:14 AM
I wonder how it compares with LipService.

ericsmith
03-06-2004, 08:45 AM
It works from within Lightwave, so it fully supports lightwave objects with morph targets. It works incredibly well. It automatically creates all the lipsinc animation by analyzing an audio file, but what is really great about it is how easy it is to refine and edit the results.

I will echo what william said. This is a must have tool for anyone doing character animation in Lightwave.

Eric

pauland
03-06-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm a little confused. It works within LW, but the requirements still mention Poser 3.0 or above (as well as LW)?

Paul

ericsmith
03-06-2004, 12:40 PM
I just looked at their website, and I think mentioning poser in the system requirements was an oversight. Mimic for Lightwave is a displacement plugin that you apply to your character right in Layout, and connects directly to morphmixer. It has its own interface, but it still works within lightwave.

Eric

cresshead
03-06-2004, 12:43 PM
from the tests i've done with it , this plugin works really well..a godsend to animators with talking characters.

very simple to set up..i never got round to reading all the manual etc..i just dived in and found it intuitive and very fast...another brilliant plugin that lightwave character artists will get right next to f prime...V cool indeed.

try it.:D

steve g

finearts2
03-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Well gang, I was one of the beta testers, and all I can say is YOU MUST BUY THIS PROGRAM!!!! If you are a character animator and want to save yourself ALOT of time and aggrivation with facial animation, this is a no brainer.

I will contact DAZ and see if I can post any info ( I just want to abide by my agreement with the good folks over there :) )

BUT, I will tell you this, this is the program I waited for since I got into 3d.

And no, you don't need a poser file. My tests were done with my own models. Worked like a charm!:D

js33
03-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Where is the link to check out this tool?
Nevermind I googled it. It looks pretty cool.

Cheers,
JS

cresshead
03-06-2004, 02:26 PM
here you go......
for those who want to see more...

http://www.daz3d.com/mimic/

http://secure.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=1993&PHPSESSID=be873cbb927b9f679ecc5e7c1751eab4

i also beta tested and think it's a real useful plugin for character animation.

steve g

Hervé
03-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Hummm, there is now ay to downloas an eval version.... too bad..:(

cresshead
03-06-2004, 02:39 PM
no doubt in a short time there will be a evalu version or/and some demo videos showing just how simple it's to set up n use.

steve g

js33
03-06-2004, 02:39 PM
So you have to have Poser or the DAZ studio as well to use this.

System Requirements
Requires Lightwave 7.5 or higher
Microsoft Windows Media Player
DAZ|Studio 1.0 or Curious Labs Poser v3 or above

How much are those?

DAX studio is in beta and I didn't see a price for it.

Cheers,
JS

cresshead
03-06-2004, 02:52 PM
no, no need for poser at all...that bit of text is midleading...i used it with lightwave characters some were proton's characters and some were edited versions i made with several morphs...it has some great features..text and audio input...a video window if your trying to match up from real footage...scrubbable...the 3d preview window doesn't support subpatches but a very simple workaround is to freeze a head if your un tabbed head looks whacky then use that to animate in mimic once done just swap out to a subpatched head...mega simple and never failed to work...also i never had a crash...so it's a solid pligin for sure.

maybe i'm not surposed to say too much but this thing really works and works simply and predictably..not much need to read a manual...pretty logical in my view.

let's hope there's some demo video's soon for you people thinking about it.

js33
03-06-2004, 03:12 PM
OK cool I'll be checking it out.

Now all we need is a cheap motion capture system. Worley? :D

Cheers,
JS

Dodgy
03-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I second that. It has incredible flexibility and control, allowing you to group phonemes that have similar morph targets together so updating one phoneme's targets updates them all, or if one needs a special target, you can split it off and set it up on it's own. You can also have any number of morphs assigned to a particular phoneme, so you could set up tongue out, cheek bulge,purse lips etc as individual morphs and apply them together at different percentages in a phoneme to get a particular face shape. This can all be done after the wave analysis as it keeps the phonemes separate in the analysis, which means you can go back and edit it completely non-linearly.

mgreenway
03-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Am I missing the demo movie? I want to see the results. sounds neat!

ericsmith
03-06-2004, 08:26 PM
I was also a beta tester, and I can say that the final version does support subDs. It uses a frozen version of the mesh, but you don't have to freeze your model, and it uses whatever display subpatch level you have set.

(I do hope we're not all incurring the wrath of the NDA gods, but I assume once a package is released, it's okay to talk about these things.)

Eric

prospector
03-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Js33

We already do (well if you have Aura or now DFX and a way to get video into your computer.

Here's how I do it.

set actor on a stage in some exercising suit (you know, the tight leotard kind of suit.)
With some 'puff balls' (I use the 'Fiber Craft' PomPom balls from Wall Mart in the sewing section) (Was a pack of 100 for 3 bucks)
And had wife sew them to various places on the suit, Elbows, shoulders, knees and such, withe each color representing a side (all red on left and all green on right, or any color that is easy to spot on suit)

And using 2 cameras (on face on the actor, and the other from a 90 angle to the side.
Record the motion you need with both cameras running.
then in Aura, load the clips one at a time, do a pixel track for each PomPom (the reason for good color standout), and save the motion to LW files,
then do the other video the same.

You now have all the XY and Z cordinates for each body part you 'PomPomed':)

Add those motions in LW to the null that ya need to drive.

TADA!!
As cheap as 2 cameras (and they don't have to be good ones either).

And because you have a 2 camera shot and both recorded the motions at the same time (as opposed to doing a new take from different angle, the camera co-ordinates will match perfectly.

js33
03-06-2004, 09:13 PM
hmmm... I assume you have done this and it works well?

Do the two videos need to be merged to create a single combined motion file?

I mean how do you combine either the videos or the motion files to get all the axis?

It seems like it would just be a 2D motion file rather than a 3D one.

But if this works I will have to try it.
Does the actor need to be shot on a nuetral background. Blue or black? Or do the balls just need to be highcontrast to the background.

It almost sounds to easy to work. If motion capture is this cheap or easy why does anyone need a $50-100,000 motion capture system? Or are all those obsolete now?

Sorry for so many questions but you really have me curious now.

Cheers,
JS

prospector
03-06-2004, 10:04 PM
hmmm... I assume you have done this and it works well?
All the time I need some motions

Do the two videos need to be merged to create a single combined motion file?

No, which is why I said take the next video in and do the same thing.

I mean how do you combine either the videos or the motion files to get all the axis?

After you get the files saved in Aura (or whatever program you use that LW accepts motion files from), in LW apply those motions to your driving nulls.

So the face on camera will give you the X and Y values
and the side camera will give you the Z and Y values.

So lets say you video an actor moving arm sideways and up and slightly back.

the face camera can see the movement up (the Y value) and sideways (the X value) but not the motion back, and the side camera (the other video) sees the up (again the Y value) and back (the Z value).
Now if you put these values into the corresponding places on your IK null for that arm, you would have motion capture files.

Now you CAN do this without aura or ANY pixel tracker by just making the video into a background layer in LW and moving the null along with the 'pompom' you want tracked in the front view, and then doing the Z value by loading in the other video and moving the null in the depth values from a side view.

Either way does the same thing.
Just that I like Aura and letting it do the tracking (faster than I can do it:) ).

Does the actor need to be shot on a nuetral background. Blue or black? Or do the balls just need to be highcontrast to the background.

Just High contrast so pixel tracker can follow it easier.
I have green screen here in studio so I just use it (cuz it's there but not really necessary if 'pompoms' are well seen throughout video) and I bought a green sweatsuit (jogging type to wear with the 'pompoms')
It almost sounds to easy to work. If motion capture is this cheap or easy why does anyone need a $50-100,000 motion capture system?

Well because those are realtime, I havent found way to send video to Aura,pixel track and send info to LW and have LW do it in real time yet:)

So...Or are all those obsolete now
As soon as I find a way they will be:D

js33
03-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Prospector,

I think the name really fits you now. Prospecting for new ways to use tools. :D

All this sounds very interesting. Does the free DFX that came with the 8 upgrade have pixel tracking? I have that but not Aura. To be honest I have it installed but haven't used it much yet as I mainly use AE for most compositing only because I'm more familiar with it.

Do you have any animations using your homebrewed MC?

Cheers,
JS

prospector
03-07-2004, 12:54 AM
yea, DFX has pixel tracking, but I haven't had time to try that one yet.

Do you have any animations using your homebrewed MC?
Should be coming out on DVD in Late Sept_early Oct.

I posted a shot of the set on another thread about Luxigons.

js33
03-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Can you point my to that thread?

Is this a tutorial DVD or an animation project?

Cheers,
JS

T-Light
03-07-2004, 05:03 AM
DFX's pixel tracking is excellent. It's only 2D but it's one of the best I've seen. Eyeon have recently updated their courseware bundle, it's definetly worth a look.

http://www.eyeonline.com/techniques/courseware/courseware_ed2/cware2_link.html

See - Section 7: Tracking and Stabilizing

T-Light
03-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Oh, and all the courseware is free :cool:

cresshead
03-07-2004, 05:12 AM
can we keep this on topic and NOT hijack the thread over to motion capture from the subject title of the lipsync plugin for lightwave!...

maybe start a new thread on motion capture?

steveg;)

neostarbuck
03-07-2004, 02:17 PM
We just wanted to let the Mimic Beta Testers they are free to discuss the Mimic for Lightwave Plug-In now that it has been released.

We will be posting some animation results next week so stay-tuned.

Poser is not required and this product works with your own figures.

The product page is: http://www.daz3d.com/mimic/

Here's what William Vaughan had to say:

"Finally, a tool that allows me freedom to be creative with lip-syncing my LightWave characters. It's simply amazing how fast I can get my characters talking, and how hassle free it is. This is a must have tool for
every LightWave Character animator! The team at DAZ has really out done themselves."

- William Vaughan
NewTek's LightWave 3D Evangelist"

Best regards,

Bryan Brandenburg
Chief Profit Officer
DAZ Productions

prospector
03-07-2004, 04:16 PM
But cresthead, motion capture goes hand-in-hand with lipsyncing.

How?
Well Mimic 1 will add the facial features to the lipsync and I imagine 2 does too, but they aren't always correct. And even the lip movement isn't on spot.

But if you can extrapolate the examples above to other situations, with a facial camera recording the voice AND facial expressions (because the new ver 2 has video), you can now go in and exactly match up the words and the true facial expressions.
And you can add all those little neuonces that Mimic just dosen't recognize, by playing with the morphs.
And if some people use bones instead of morphs for things like Eyelids, eyebrows, cheek bones, chins...then using the motion capture way (by adding small colored dots to certain places on the face) then add that information to the nulls that drive them they get a much truer speech/ facial pattern.

But hey...I can stop.

Hervé
03-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Hey Prospector, no, keep going, very interesting and clever idea , I am sure it should work very good.... like you're saying, small nuances are doing the main difference between a crap automatic or semi-automatic lipsync that looks like a robot puppet, ...and the beauty of refined nuances that make a lipsync believable or not :D ;)

Cresshead , no no , he 's on the same subject.... we are looking for the best wayto do things here, sorry but NT forum is not a commercial place, but a place where people share ideas... c'mon Steve, we love you...!
(how many cats do you have...? just curious...)

We are all in the same boat !! the LW Boat
(which is a beautiful yacht BTW, + no more storms at the horizon, let's sail !)

Hervé :cool: ;)

papou
03-08-2004, 02:47 AM
+ no more storms at the horizon, let's sail !)
huh? i see somes volumetrics...:D

Prospector, just curious... i want to try that from a long time ...but i would like to know before, how to track pompow when they are behind the body? thx!

Hervé
03-08-2004, 03:27 AM
I would imagine you need more than 2 cams, maybe 3.... I think it all depend on the type of movement you're after... no?;) :D

js33
03-08-2004, 04:45 AM
No you just need one of those transparent body suites. :D

But seriously that is a good question. As Herve says you would need another camera for the other side.

The commercial mocap systems uses 8 or more cameras I believe in a circular setup.

I had an idea for making a body suite with sensors that would wirelessly transmit the signal from each sensor on the body to Lightwave in realtime but it would certainly be more expensive then Prospectors homebrew way.

I would like to see Prospector setup a page showing the process from start to finish. How about it Prospector?

Cheers,
JS

prospector
03-08-2004, 11:10 AM
papou

You 'could' use more cameras, but I try to stick with 2 (cuz I am cheap:D )and manage 99.999% of the time (with the rest a guess because the pompom is only out of view for a frame or two and pixeltracker will stay with it.)
But I DO change camera positions from right to left side of actor.

I am not talking about doing complete (lets say karate fight) at one take, I get each move, then put together moves in motion mixer, where I can us any combo and LW does the tween motions.
So I can get the stance of a move and the arm swing,
then I will get a new stance and a different arm swing.

If I really have to get a full front to back of body swing then I will mount the camera on the roof track and do an overhead shot that shows the pompom going full swing around the body which gives you your X and Z motions and the face camera still gives the Y and the face camera will also give the facials ya might need (say of gritting teeth or extreme face meanness as swing occures) to use in Mimic when actor yells say "TAKE THAT!!!'
kind of stuff.
To stay on the Mimic topic;)

I would like to see Prospector setup a page showing the process from start to finish. How about it Prospector?
I am getting website ready and will open soon as I get the nerve (I really don't do tuts well) And DVD I am doing dosen't take 18 hours out my day.
I wanna take the S-Video out from my Video card and run it directly into the VT, but don't wanna blow something in card, so I can make some video tuts while I do the work on DVD.
Will save me from having to do them twice.

papou
03-08-2004, 12:37 PM
this is a good start:
http://hem.spray.se/johan.walfridson/tutenindex.html

petermark
03-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Prospector,
Very interesting... I had known that this was possible, but I always assumed it would not be practical and accurate enough. Do you have any problems with jumpy track points causing, say, an arm to jerk around unnaturally? Do you cut out every-other keyframe to minimize this or something?

Also, do you have any tips on how to match the scale of the two clips? For example, if your character was walking forward, the pompoms would appear to spread out in the footage from the front camera. This would make the 3d character splay out as he moved forward, no?

Does know if DFX's track information can be exported to LW? Is there a 3d-party converting tool or something?

This Mimic program does sound interesting... but I'm not going to buy a $200 piece of software based on a few paragraphs of description. They need to provide demo videos... this is animation software, after all!

cresshead
03-08-2004, 01:08 PM
okay...motion capture and lipsync are in a simlar vein so i'll retract my claws...

as for mo capfrom 2 cameas well there was a plugin for 3ds max called knie capture that could use 2 video cameras to gain a rough mo cap..as you'll realise though it can only ever be "rough" as 2 cameras cannot fully triangulate a 3d person's movements accuratly overtime

kinecapture isn't available anymore BTW

also look around on maxhelp/cg architect/flay about 1 year back as there was a russian program that gave you a bvh motion file from 2 cameras and there was a demo too...the cost was pretty cheap..never really put it to the test though..

most studio's do it the hard way and rotoscope from a video by hand...a rough 10 seconds video can take an hour or so then you'll tweek it for the rest of the day if it needed it.

re facial capture:

facestation for max and maya is pretty good but it's $2000 and captures via a standard video camera "live" onto your 3d model...the software can only deal with one head in a scene though so interaction of live links is not possible yet...and it's not for lightwave or xsi...or cinema.

voice o matic for max is similar to ventriloquist for max but ventri... became unavailable when the parent company went bust...lipsync...which also owned mimic....ahh haa!..back on topic!
..voice o matic can only use upto 16 targets where as mimic can handle above 40 no problem..

as for drawing dot on your face and tracking them well the max plugins that do that..called smirk from lambsoft.com..well never saw any decent avi's from them...

back to body and upper body motion capture..cheapest proper mo caps are from 8media.com who make the gypsy endoskeleton
mo cap suits.

to be honest unless your doing or needing 10-20 mins of mo cap a week like those on roughnecks you can get by quite well by rotoscoping...pixar use video footage as reference..they do not mo cap though...it's just "not done" at pixar...they like making keyframes not a mo cap file....

..ohh..and i have 4 cats!

stee+cats

prospector
03-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Do you have any problems with jumpy track points causing, say, an arm to jerk around unnaturally?

The better the color opposition the better the track,
I was getting some jumpyness in the beginning of these ways of working, but I went to all 1 color in backgroung (hence the greenscreen) and 1 color for clothes( hence the green jogging suit), then I got the smallest pompoms that WallMart had (they are about 1/2 in in diameter).
And I use the brightest ones (white, pink orange sky blue) the green ones don't track good as they dissapear when I remove the green screen and person wearing suit) and is strange to see just little balls moving around on black screen, but that dosen't HAVE to be done to get a pretty good track.
Just make sure there isn't another color close to what you are tracking as the tracker sometimes jumps to other object if too close.

Do you cut out every-other keyframe to minimize this or something?
I use to, but that was before I went to all 1 color for background and suit and smaller markers to track.

Also, do you have any tips on how to match the scale of the two clips?

I match the scale by measuring from a point on actor (same point for both cameras) so I will have a chalk mark on floor and make sure the cameras are the same distance away from the mark, then get mad when actor can't stay on mark:D , but it always seems to come out right after a few practice runs.

For example, if your character was walking forward, the pompoms would appear to spread out in the footage from the front camera.This would make the 3d character splay out as he moved forward, no?

Splay out?

If you told someone to just hold a different color something in thier hands and just have them walk towards you (face camera)
the items would only look as tho they slightly go up and down and out to sides a bit as arms go around body (if they walk normaly), you can only focus on the items (as just like the tracker would) and not the whole body, you would see the results of front to back but from your view it would look like it is only up and down and a bit sideways and back it's hard to see cuz your mind automatically puts everything together as a 3D view (don't let it and just focus on items).
And from the side you would only see front to back and up and down arch but not the small in and out the arm makes around body (FOCUS ON OBJECT!!!:D )

When walking on an traveling floor (AH HA something expensive...no no my LW friend..they can be had for 10 bucks at yard sales if you already don't have one....it's a...TADA ...exercise walker:D ) the actor stays in 1 spot and gives a true walk cycle and not just marching in 1 spot walk.
So all looks just fine and no splaying;)

but I'm not going to buy a $200 piece of software based on a few paragraphs of description.

I would whole heartedly say YES to this plug-in
Matter of fact YES YES YES!!!:D
there are some demo clips there on DAzs site.

Back on topic too!!:D :D

as for drawing dot on your face and tracking them well the max plugins that do that..called smirk from lambsoft.com..well never saw any decent avi's from them...
It does take some prep work, trial and error to get the dots in ther right places and small dots to track and again very different and bright colors (like yellow or red or green clown makeup.)

whattawa
03-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey everybody, just wanted to stop by and let you know the demo version of Mimic is ready for your use.

Go to http://www.daz3d.com/mimic/

Sorry to turn the conversation from Mocap once again... :)

whattawa
03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
FYI, the link to our Mimic page changed.

http://www.daz3d.com/Mimic/

pauland
03-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by whattawa
FYI, the link to our Mimic page changed.

http://www.daz3d.com/Mimic/

.. so has the demo download link, which no longer works...

Paul

whattawa
03-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Oops! They are fixing that right now. Sorry about that.

whattawa
03-18-2004, 05:22 PM
It's fixed. Follow above link to get to there.

meshmaster
11-10-2004, 11:54 AM
fyi.. that "cheap russian software" is at http://www.digitalcriminals.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=34

Has anyone tried it?

Also, are there other pixel trackers out there besides Aura and it's grandbaby? I have Aura 1 that I got off a magazine cd but not 2... Tried the 2 demo and it seems to work but not sure I want to buy the grandbaby as I'm not sure it'll export lightwave paths and don't want to buy a full video toaster just to do pixel tracking...

Paul_Boland
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
None of the links work. I can't get to the website at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

whattawa
11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Which links? If you mean the DAZ links, the site is down as we change over to a new, updated one. It should be back up within a couple hours.

cgbloke2004
11-11-2004, 12:50 PM
i gotta say, i love Mimic.
its revolutionised how we work with talking characters.
in fact we aim to deal with talking characters all the time, and have them talk all the time whenever they appear. [if that made any sense :) ]

awesome program!

in fact, just 2 of us, on our own, from scratch, entered a 1 min 48hr short film competition.
we had had about 1 month of intense mimic usage on a 3 min promo with about 8-12 characters talking and so we felt incredibly confident that we could use mimic in such a tight project. *

and we did, in 48hrs from scratch we had 1 minute of character animation, talking and walking down a street.
mimic was the only way that we couldve got that talking lipsyncing done.

we got 4th place out of 50-odd films and had it screened in a major cinema as part of a film festival at the time.

it later emerged that we were slated for 3rd place but the judges reckoned we cheated, because, they said 'no one can get that level of character animation done in just 48hrs from scratch'.. so we had been marked down! :D
we just laughed!

so mimic is not only my personal headache-saver, its also helped us to be a bit of winner too! :) and we had zero issues with lightwave 8 - even pre-8.0.1. (i havent even tried it 7.5 yet..)

* when i first tried the demo i thought 'bloody hell'.
i come from an old school background that had voices done on tape, we mark them up and cut them out on a steenbeck and then transfer the information we need to a dope sheet and go on lightwave from there.
on an earlier project i was looking at an intense 4 week period of doing this for some chracter animation. i was not looking forward to it. i'd tried magpie etc before but hadnt got an appreciable time-saving out of it, certainly not one that made me 'look forward' to lipsyncing character animation!
anyway, i tried the demo, showed my colleague. i said this is great.. he said ok, lets get it - he was under a tight deadline and needed anything that would help me help him. we got it, i spent another few hours with it - all in all about a day was spent with the demo/full version, and i felt happy with it.
i then managed to teach my colleague and get him up and running with mimic in under half an hour. and he has never done lipsync character animation ever before.
we both love mimic!

i know, i sound like a bloody advert, but mimic is truly an amazing piece of kit with which to work in lightwave. the two go hand in hand.

in fact, with how mimic works, i wish that this could be expanded into a replacement for the overly complicated [imho] motion-mixer!
how about it guys?
the way it works just by blending whatever you need, just like a non-linear edit package, and then just dumps it into morph mixer - such a simple yet foolproof way of working.

we've had a few issues, a few bug type things, and have established a workflow with mimic - for example: remove it from the object ASAP when youre happy with it otherwise you get over-writing issues or something that might interfere with tweaks you do either in the mimic editor or in the graph editor in morph mixer.

another issue was making sure that the actor spoke at a reasonable pace. too fast and mimic tends to lip flap. also we always go back in and tweak what mimic did quite heavily to get exactly what we want.

and a manual issue: [Daz, take note perhaps?] you say to label the bone to indicate head movement as mimic. try as i might, i couldnt get this feature to work.
my colleague used another character with a bone called head. this time mimic worked - so, have i done something wrong or is that bit in the manual actually supposed to read as 'head' and not 'mimic'?

anyway, issues and workflows aside, its a great package that works very well for what we use it for - lipsyncing and making anything we give it talk quickly and convincingly! - what would take 4 weeks now gets done in less than 1.
(or, in terms of that film competition, meant we had it complete within hours)

great job

whattawa
11-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Hey, nice post! I'm sure our marketing guys would love to turn it into an actual "bloody advert." :) Maybe you should contact me and we can talk about the issues you ran into and we can work on them.

Just curious, did you do your heavy editing in Mimic itself, or did you choose to do it in Lightwave with MorphMixer? I'm one of the first to admit that Mimic's default output is less than perfect, but we tried to design editing tools that would be convenient enough to use that the animation could be fixed and ready to go as quickly as possible. Can't expect the computer to do ALL our work for us! ;)

As for the bone named Mimic not working, I think I know the cause. We have a limitation right now in Mimic that we use weightmaps to show displacement with bones, and the weightmaps have to be named the same as the bone they are attached to in order to get visual feedback in Mimic. Also, you can manually change what morphs or bones are attached to any function in Mimic. Even head movement (side-side, bend, twist) can be assigned to whatever bone you like. Anyway, if you named the bone mimic and used the basictemplate.dmc for your character, I believe that if you had exported the animation back to Lightwave you would see the animation working correctly in Layout, even if it didn't show up in Mimic.

Paul_Boland
11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Which links? If you mean the DAZ links, the site is down as we change over to a new, updated one. It should be back up within a couple hours.

Thanks. The site is up and I'm having a read. Cool plugin! I think this was reviewed in an issue of 3D World magazine ages ago. Have to go dig it out.

whattawa
11-12-2004, 12:35 PM
I think it was 3D World, though I can't recall...

Just so you know, it is apparently on sale again until the 24th of November. $100 off, just like the coupon that comes with Lightwave 8. I'm not in marketing, so I just found this out myself and thought I would pass it along.

WilliamVaughan
11-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Mimic is saving us loads of time on our current production here at the Dave School....I love this tool!

Silkrooster
11-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Does anyone find it very slow or bug ridden? The reason I ask is I have Mimic 3 for poser. And I find it extremely slow with several bugs.
Silk

whattawa
11-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Many of the issues, if not all, that you are facing with Mimic 3 came from changes made after we released Mimic for Lightwave. They have been resolved and will be released in an update very soon. I hope your experience with Mimic for Poser will then be a good one. :)

Also, feel free to contact me about Mimic. Questions/issues, whatever you like. I believe you can email me through my profile. I will try to help you out all I can, and maybe we can get some of your requests in the next version as well.

Paul_Boland
11-13-2004, 01:36 PM
The sample movies are very impressive!! However, on the tutorials, the Tutorial 1 - Getting Started With Minic For Lightwave, none of the images show up.

whattawa
11-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Is that the PDF version or in our tutorial section? Our website just changed so t here might be some glitches. I don't know if you can download the PDF by itself or if you have to grab the demo, but I do know some tutorials come with the demo version.

Paul_Boland
11-13-2004, 02:31 PM
It's on the website itself.

http://www.daz3d.com/support/tutorial/index.php?id=747&PHPSESSID=735b79358064fedf3e9e71285567e73b

Just thought I'd point it out in case other people go looking for them.

whattawa
11-13-2004, 07:32 PM
I appreciate that. I'll get that taken care of, as well.

whattawa
11-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Looks like many, many things got broken as we changed our site. I have no idea when the images will be correctly linked again. Sorry about that.

In the meantime, have you grabbed the demo version of Mimic? Also, I have put various tutorials and instructions for using Mimic on our Mimic Forum at forum.daz3d.com. I think I made them sticky so they would be easy to find.